Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tee and Megan

Name change confusion, please help!

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi VJers!

My husband and I have kind of a complicated situation and were wondering if anyone can help. We might need to go to an immigration lawyer. I'm kind of at a loss.

When we first got married and filed for AOS, I didn't think it was possible to do a name change because of how complicated our name change would be.

My husband's legal name is a name the Cambodian govt forced him to buy, thus though we use it on all his legal paperwork, he still goes by Tee (the name is mother gave him)

I want to change my name to Megan "Tee", but was told that I can't change it to Megan Tee unless his name was changed. But during AoS, I didn't know it would be possible to change his name back to Tee, so we submitted all our AOS paperwork under the name the Cambodian govt forced him to buy.

Now that we've gotten our heads on our shoulders and have had more time to think about it, we'd really like to figure out how to change both our last names to "Tee."

But if we want to change his name after we've already filed for AOs, is that going to be massively complicated? The Social Security office said I can't change my name to Tee until he does. But how can we change his name after we've filed for AOS? Thoughts VJ family? Thank you all so much.

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together


K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014


Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015


I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a court ordered name change. To change the name on the green card will cost you $450 though. You could get the court ordered name change closer to when you would need to file for ROC and then just use the new name, providing copy of name change order, and not pay any extra fee for changing the name on the green card.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.