6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

My husband has a relative who will be a joint sponsor for the I-864. He will be adjusting status from a K1 visa. The problem is the joint sponsor is retired and gets money from her pension and social security. With this she makes 24,000 a year, but she is married. Is there a way she can combine her retirement income with her husbands retirement income? Together they make 53,000 a year. Thank you for your answers.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I have a similar question. I am sponsoring my husband, but may need a joint sponsor. I am self-employed and also receive SSDI for disability. Only part of my SSDI is taxable and therefore the total on line 22 of 1040 is 18,331 instead of the actual 20,855 that I make. Our plan is for my husband to explain this (I have included a letter) at his interview if he is questioned. Any info or experience that could be shared for speculation here? In addition, we'd like to have joint sponsorship available to hand in if the interviewing officer says that mine is insufficient.

So my dad has agreed to be a joint sponsor. I live with my dad and stepmom, but I don't know if this makes us all one household?? They filed their taxes jointly (MFJ). They are both retired and drawing money from SS, pensions, retirement investments, etc. and after exemptions they don't make enough individually to meet the 125% FPG (line 22 on their 1040 is 17,500). I have read conflicting information on whether my dad should fill out an 864 or 864A and whether or not my stepmom also should be a sponsor so as to avoid any issues with estimating the income divisions. Also, I need clarification as to how to calculate the current annual income in this case and which forms I need to prove it all.

My husband has a relative who will be a joint sponsor for the I-864. He will be adjusting status from a K1 visa. The problem is the joint sponsor is retired and gets money from her pension and social security. With this she makes 24,000 a year, but she is married. Is there a way she can combine her retirement income with her husbands retirement income? Together they make 53,000 a year. Thank you for your answers.

If you will look at the form and the instructions for the I-864 it explains how family members can help. She can list her husband and his income on her form to make a "family income". He would have to fill out an I-864A which is kind of like him giving permission for his wife to use his income on her form, as well as he signs that he is willing to help sponsor the alien. Look at the form. Read the 13 pages of instructions. They will explain the details.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

If you will look at the form and the instructions for the I-864 it explains how family members can help. She can list her husband and his income on her form to make a "family income". He would have to fill out an I-864A which is kind of like him giving permission for his wife to use his income on her form, as well as he signs that he is willing to help sponsor the alien. Look at the form. Read the 13 pages of instructions. They will explain the details.

Ok. I just thought I-864A could only be used if I the petitioner and main sponsor was part of their household, which I'm not. I also wanted to make sure using income from retirement as proof is alright to do. Trying to make sure I dont get an RFE for this.

Ok. I just thought I-864A could only be used if I the petitioner and main sponsor was part of their household, which I'm not. I also wanted to make sure using income from retirement as proof is alright to do. Trying to make sure I dont get an RFE for this.

Mom or dad can be the joint sponsor with their very own I-864. So everything those instructions are saying is to them, not just you the primary sponsor. Anything that says "sponsor" means them on their forms. They add the spouse as Family member so Mom plus Dad combine money because they live together in same house.

Because SS is not fully taxable it won't show but a portion of that income on the tax return. They get a statement from SSA each December saying what their new payment will be starting in January. Photocopy that and use like an "Employer letter" to,show full income. Get something from Pension Plan saying for example...."your pension is $2000 monthly for life". That is also like an employer letter good for proving income. They probably don't get monthly pay stubs as additional proof. It's okay without them if you get those benefit statements from SSA and pension plan.

Read the instructions. They are good.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It has been helpful to add in 12 months of bank statements to show the income deposits, along with benefit letters and 1099s, when proving non-taxable income.

The USC petitioner is the primary sponsor and provides an I-864 no matter what their current income is, including having none. A joint sponsor fills out their own separate I-864. The joint sponsor's qualifying household members, such as their spouse, can fill out an I-864A to go along with the joint sponsor's I-864, where their income will be combined to act as the joint sponsorship together.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.