yan

What to expect during interview

5 posts in this topic

Hi y'all! My interview will be on Thursday here in Dallas. I have some question if you don't mind to answer. What else do they question you aside the civic question? Do they dig meaning what's in n400 form like the word noncombatant, etc? And about the civic question do they sometimes reverse the question?

Thank you.

Yan

Yes, they sometimes ask questions to see if you understand English (besides reading and writing.) My interviewer asked me "What is your baby name?" If I understood "What is your baby's name?" and answer accordinly, I would have failed. I asked her to repeat it and she asked me "What is your name at birth?"

So don't try to guess answers if you don't understand IO's questions, politely ask them to repeat and they will find other words to ask you.

Civic questions are straightforward. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes, they sometimes ask questions to see if you understand English (besides reading and writing.) My interviewer asked me "What is your baby name?" If I understood "What is your baby's name?" and answer accordinly, I would have failed. I asked her to repeat it and she asked me "What is your name at birth?"

So don't try to guess answers if you don't understand IO's questions, politely ask them to repeat and they will find other words to ask you.

Civic questions are straightforward. Good luck.

That's a very extreme case. Your interviewer was an idiot. "What is your baby name?" is a meaningless question. You don't ask a 30 year old what their baby name is, you ask them what their name was at birth. I would have understood the question exactly as you did.

Excellent advice though; always ask for clarification if the question isn't clear.

To the OP; sometimes they ask you questions about the general meaning of certain parts of the applocation or of the oath... partially to test your English and partially to make sure you understand what you are signing.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

My gal just did the n-400 thing and as long as you studied the CD and learned the questions you will not have any problem. It is pretty much straight forward. The USCIS IO officer that interviewed my wife did not try to trick her, but my wife was also prepared... Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.