Jump to content

Husband Estate: PersonaL Representative

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I was asked by my father in law to provide a 'personal representative' letter to give them right to manage my husband estate.

Anyone knows about this?

Better if sample could be given.

I'm currently in a different country and my husband has petitioned me with IR1/CR1 but it was not approved yet when he died.

My parents in law are trustworthy and I know I won't be able to do anything from here. And my husband estate is not much, in US standard, that is.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to Off Topic, from IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures - As this is not about any Visa Process.~~

Mod hat off

I'm sorry for your loss, I hope someone is able to help you figure this out.


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Sorry for your loss.

A personal representative is a person legally responsible for collecting the deceased's assets, paying his debts with estate assets, and distribung the remaining assets to his heirs.

Under the law, a spouse is given priority to be the personal representative. It's your job unless you don't want to serve or can not serve.

Your in-laws are asking that you decline to be the personal representative and let one of them take the role. This avoided a potential conflict because you can not challenge it later.

You do not have to give them this letter. It prevents you from challenging whomever is accepted by the court as the personal representative.

However, the letter would allow them to go through probate quickly.

Since you trust them and can not do anything from abroad. (It's highly unlikely that a court would let you serve considering you can not personally oversee this process). I suggest you give them the letter and make the best out of a bad situation.

Google "how to decline serving as personal representative" to find sample letters.

Sorry for your loss.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.