Jump to content

college graduation - emergent situation?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

January k1 filer at tsc, hoping for approval in July/August, visa by September. Trying to plan, my fiancee has university graduation in December. If we file aos in September, I read you can schedule an info pass appointment to apply for ap. Is college graduation a good enough reason to expect ap approval?

We can do it.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

AP approval is very much guaranteed without any specific reason, however it will take approximately 90 days from when you file AOS. I think you are asking if that would be grounds for them to expedite which I don't think it would be.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!


31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved


22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You file for AP when you file for AOS. I do not think that meets the criteria for an expedite, and certainly not an emergent one.> http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

Why not just postpone getting the visa and enter the US with the K-1 after the Dec. graduation?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Graduation is not an emergency. You know about it 8 months ahead of time. You are expected to plan around it.

Delay entering the US. The K1 is valid for 6 months. Come after graduation. Problem solved. No need for emergency AP.

If you choose to risk it, then it's on you if AP is not received before his graduation. You will have to make the choice to miss graduation or abandon the AOS.

You need to plan properly rather than rely on emergency AP.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.