londonbreakdown

Meeting the Minimum Poverty Guidelines

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm sure there's something already posted about this somewhere, but I'm new to this and just trying to get everything figured it.

I'm a 22 year old American citizen, trying to bring my 23 year old U.K. citizen fiance to the U.S. Neither of us have children, and my place of work has already said as soon as he is hire-able here in the US, the would gladly do so.

I made just barely under the 125% poverty guideline that is supposed to be met. Literally less than $1,000 short of the amount. We just started the process, and by the time we need to show how much I earn, I will have some money in my savings account that will definitely make up that short coming.

I would have no problem getting a joint sponsor, I would just prefer not to. I was just wondering if being that amount short would really be an issue? And does money in a savings account go towards meeting that guideline?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has he considered self sponsoring?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Not income, savings.

I thought UK minimum wage is more than that.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No he doesn't have anything in savings at the moment, and their minimum wage is more, but I make more than minimum wage in the US and work full time, we he only works part time.

I would suggest having joint sponsor forms ready in case they ask for them at his interview. The i-134 is less legally binding (from what I've heard), so a co-sponsor won't be incurring as much liability with this one. It will be the i-864 that you'll need to complete when doing AOS that is legally binding for years.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Timeline

It will be a few months before he can work so strongly suggest he starts saving. Basically London are looking for a summgood for 90 days which is what he needs anyway.

@londonbreakdown.... Where did you find the required amount one has to make to financially sponsor your partner solo? And does anyone know if your previous annual income is a factor or is USCIS just looking at current year?

USCIS has all the information on their website (and it's likely part of the VJ guides):

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

You don't list a country or a visa on your profile, but embassies have different requirements for the K-1/i-134 (some say 100% poverty guidelines, others require 125% - 125% is what you will need for the i-864 (for spouse visa or AOS from k-1)

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

I'm sure there's something already posted about this somewhere, but I'm new to this and just trying to get everything figured it.

I'm a 22 year old American citizen, trying to bring my 23 year old U.K. citizen fiance to the U.S. Neither of us have children, and my place of work has already said as soon as he is hire-able here in the US, the would gladly do so.

I made just barely under the 125% poverty guideline that is supposed to be met. Literally less than $1,000 short of the amount. We just started the process, and by the time we need to show how much I earn, I will have some money in my savings account that will definitely make up that short coming.

I would have no problem getting a joint sponsor, I would just prefer not to. I was just wondering if being that amount short would really be an issue? And does money in a savings account go towards meeting that guideline?

Thank you in advance for your input!

London has approved when the fiancé makes 100% of the poverty guidelines. So that's around $16k. See this Dept of State FAQ http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#9

However that is a very short term solution because you will need a solid 125% for the Affidavit of Support that comes after the marriage when he applies for a greencard to stay and work in the US. If you are short $1000, then you need 3x$1000 in savings to make up for the shortfall in income. You might need to hold off and see if you two can make an effort to save something first because it's not cheap. Here are the current costs you will need to plan for besides the extra $3000 for the affidavit of support.

Costs

K1 London route = $1705 + £295

$340 (USCIS) I-129F petition

£45 (ACPO) Police certificate just before petition approval

£250 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam. Pay at exam.

$265 (Embassy) Visa fee prior to interview. Online pay.

$30 Courier fee if home delivery, $0 to pick up at a depot. Online.

$1070 (USCIS) Adjustment of Status/Work Authorization/Advance Parole

That does not include getting to London twice, maybe stay over night, airfare to the US, and other incidentals along the way.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.