suga_78

US Citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I married my husband in March 2014 and received my GC in July 2014. I arrived in the US on a L1 visa. My question is, when can I apply for citizenship if I choose to? My GC is for 2 years. Does my first year in the US on L1 visa count?

Thanks.

I married my husband in March 2014 and received my GC in July 2014. I arrived in the US on a L1 visa. My question is, when can I apply for citizenship if I choose to? My GC is for 2 years. Does my first year in the US on L1 visa count?

Thanks.

Your first year on L1 visa will not count towards residency requirements for naturalization. Given the dates you listed, the earliest you're eligible to file N-400 will be April 2017. Provided as well your husband will have been a U.S. citizen for 3 years at the time you apply.

Feel. The. Bern.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Actually you are capable of applying 3 months (90 days) if you still meet all the requierments before the 3 year mark . So if you have a conditional green card (2 yrs) you will wait that two years out . Remove the conditions 90 days before that two years and get a ten year green card then wait 9 more months and you are able to .

Long story short if that got confusing you only need to wait 2 yrs and 9 full months not the full three years before you are able to apply .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks.

The year on the L visa does not count.

Look at the date on your green card. It'll say Resident Since.

If you are applying based on marriage to a USC (which allows you to apply 2 years earlier than everyone else) then take that Resident Since date, add 3 years and take away 90 days. That's when you can apply if:

- You have been married for 3 full years on the day that you file

- Your husband has been a US citizen for 3 full years on the day that you file

If you are not applying based on your marriage, then it's 5 years - 90 days.

Note that if you have a 2 year green card, you will need to file for removal of conditions (apply for your 10 year green card) within 90 days of the expiration of your current green card (you'll need to file for this before you file for citizenship).

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

2 years 9 months which in your case should be around April/May 2017.

- 03/25/2015 : Package sent via USPS certified mail with return receipt.

- 03/27/2015 : Notification from USPS - Package delivered and signed for at 7am.

- 04/01/2015 : Emails/Texts from USCIS.

- 04/02/2015 : Money was taken out of bank account.

- 04/06/2015 : Hard copies of receipts.

- 04/10/2015 : Biometrics letter in mail. Scheduled for 04/20

- 04/20/2015 : Biometrics completed. In and out in 5 min.

- 05/15/2015 : Opened a service request about the EAD

- 05/19/2015 : EAD card picked up by post office.

- 05/19/2015 : EAD card delivered.

- 08/25/2015 : Interview scheduled for 09/29/2015 (approved on spot)

- 10/03/2015 : Card received (4 days after interview)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.