The_dip_sticks

Help - Tax related issues

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im ready to file my taxes and I have a copy of my husbands drivers license, birth certificate, and passport. Now my question is......since my hubby is applying for an ITIN so that we can file jointly is there a specific notary that is allowed to notarize these documents for me, and if so who do I take them to? I dont know if this matters for the sake of this question but all the documents are British issued documents.

Im ready to file my taxes and I have a copy of my husbands drivers license, birth certificate, and passport. Now my question is......since my hubby is applying for an ITIN so that we can file jointly is there a specific notary that is allowed to notarize these documents for me, and if so who do I take them to? I dont know if this matters for the sake of this question but all the documents are British issued documents.

check this

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/acs/scs/notary.html

:thumbs:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/acs/scs/cert-us.html

Edited by frdmrk2

zCR-1 TIMELINE

10/25/06 - NOA1

01/18/07 - NOA2

01/29/07 - NVC Recv'd

02/05/07 - Choice of agent sent thru email

02/07/07 - I-864 Bill Generated

02/08/07 - NVC accepted choice of agent

02/09/07 - I-864 Bill Rec'd via mail

02/12/07 - IV Bill Generated

02/14/07 - Pay I-864 Bill

02/23/07 - IV Bill Recv'd

02/24/07 - Pay IV Bill

03/05/07 - DS-230 Generated

03/07/07 - I-864 Forms Recv'd

03/15/07 - I-864 Sent

03/17/07 - DS-230 Recv'd

03/19/07 - DS-230 Sent

04/16/07 - Recv'd RFE

05/02/07 - Case Complete!

05/22/07 - Case Forwarded To Manila

06/26/07 - Medical Exam & Interview Schedule

06/29/07 - Visa Received!

07/06/07 - Flight to US

07/24/07 - Apply for SSN

07/30/07 - Recv'd SSN

08/03/07 - Recv'd Green Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The U.K. is a nation included in the Hague Convention, so any notary from the U.K. should work.

And I'm not sure if you meant this - but to notarize a copy, the notary will have to see the originals - so your husband will have to take the documents to a notary in the U.K. to get the copies certified.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Any public notary. This isn't the USCIS you're dealing with. :dance:

Some people on this forum have said it's best to send the original passport. I did this and totally regret doing so. If my wife's interview is up before I get the tax return back she'll have to get a new passport. Just a tip: get a notarized copy. :yes:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Any public notary. This isn't the USCIS you're dealing with. :dance:

Some people on this forum have said it's best to send the original passport. I did this and totally regret doing so. If my wife's interview is up before I get the tax return back she'll have to get a new passport. Just a tip: get a notarized copy. :yes:

Oh, just another tip, you have to have your spouse sign the federal (and maybe state depnding on state i think) 1040 if filing jointly. If you file married separately they don't have to sign it and you don't have to submit evidence of the money they earned in the UK. They might, however, have to file a seperate tax return on their own. That's how I know it. You can call the IRS and ask for the filing dept. and they will tell you if your spouse is required to file a tax of their own, if you do choose MFS.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Ok well my husbnd finally has an appointment to get his passport notarizedn so that we can get the ITIN. Now since we are married fileing jointly how do I know what form I have to file? Do I have to send off the W7 form first to get the famous ITIN or do i send it together with our taxes? I am really confused. How will we know how much to deduct if we dont have his ITIN when i file? I suppose because of the missing number we have to do a paper file and not an efile correct? Do we have to wait till we get the ITIN to file? Can it be done simulataneously? Also how do i know what form to file the 1040 EZ or 1040?. My husband aws very ill last year and hardly has any income earned. He got help mostly from his family and me while he was on bed rest. Since he eared so little he is not required to file in the UK. Now my question is if i eared under 40k what form do I file? My husband and I have no kids so it will just be him and me on the taxes. And what do I do with this whole ITIN mess? Im lost! Some one please help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

PLease note that a new version of the w-7 was released in January,....

If you read the instructions, it tells you that in certain categories, u need to lodge your TAX RETURN, and the W-7 together. I am guessing you will need to do this,...

I just recently did this for my kids,...We have Australian Passports, and the only people allowed to notorise copies were the issuing party, in this case, the Australian Passports office, so that was out.. I could not even get their birth certificates notorized,.. I had to resort to mil id cards, and original school reports,..

The instructions are quite clear, depennding on what category you fall into,...

Jodee

Just to note,...my tax return was prepared, as married filing jointly with dependants,..the assessment (return) came out assessed for just my husband and i,....the section where ITIN numbers /ssn numbers goes for your hubby stays blank (in my case, my kids, stayed blank),...IN 99% of cases, the IRS reassess, the tax return after the ITIN is issued, becasue they need that to process the return anyways,..so they actually will reassess it for you,...after the ITIN is issued,..

I got this on good authority from the IRS representataive at the US consulate in Frankfurt

Edited by jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.