TheJollyRajah

Worried about IMBRA RFE

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sent my I-129F package last week on Monday, and I checked my bank account today to see that they cashed my check, which made me ecstatic. Just to see some kind of progress helps keep me sane... But, I've recently been reading up how some online dating sitesarrow-10x10.png are being considered International Marriage brokers, and since I met my fiance on Cherry Blossoms, it has me quite worried about the possibility of an RFE down the line. I've heard others saying they had no problems mentioning they met on CB, and others saying they got RFE's. What will I have to do if I get an RFE? How long will it take to correct the issue? Cherry Blossoms say they aren't an International Marriage broker, yet under the government's definitions, they are. IMO, I think the government's definition is too broad and hurts honest people like me. But anyway, that argument is for another time...

Edited by TheJollyRajah

Sent I129f - April 28, 2015

Received I129f - May 1, 2015

NOA1 - May 5, 2015 (Email on 6, Harcopy on 9)

NOA2 - July 9 (Email and text)

NOA2 Hardcopy - July 13

NVC Case # Assigned - July 30

Consulate Received - Aug. 3

Medical - Aug. 12 (We passed! Well, almost. She needs to see a psychiatrist on the 28th, which shouldn't be a big issue. She cut her wrist long ago in her teenage years.)

Interview - ??? (Originally Aug. 26, but since she is now required to see a psychiatrist on the 28th, it will be rescheduled, probably sometime in Sept.)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

According to the USCIS definition it is, and many filers have recieved RFE's for mentioning CB.

Sent I129f - April 28, 2015

Received I129f - May 1, 2015

NOA1 - May 5, 2015 (Email on 6, Harcopy on 9)

NOA2 - July 9 (Email and text)

NOA2 Hardcopy - July 13

NVC Case # Assigned - July 30

Consulate Received - Aug. 3

Medical - Aug. 12 (We passed! Well, almost. She needs to see a psychiatrist on the 28th, which shouldn't be a big issue. She cut her wrist long ago in her teenage years.)

Interview - ??? (Originally Aug. 26, but since she is now required to see a psychiatrist on the 28th, it will be rescheduled, probably sometime in Sept.)

Filed: Other Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Yeah by definition basically any company/ person etc, that charges a fee (even if only one of you paid the fee) is a IMB,

International Marriage Broker, a corporation, partnership, business, individual or other legal entity, whether or not organized under any law of the U.S. that charges a fee for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking services, or social referral between U.S. citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted to the U.S.
as lawful permanent residents and foreign national clients

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yeah by definition basically any company/ person etc, that charges a fee (even if only one of you paid the fee) is a IMB,

That's the same interpretation I made when filling out the form and therefore listed EM, the online service I used.

Didn't have any issues with it except my wife was asked a few questions about it during her interview.

If you get an RFE, just respond quickly and you won't lose much time.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to IMBRA Special Topics~

~Inquiry about IMBRA~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 weeks later...

So what are you all doing to satisfy the RFE? I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I used www.filipinocupid.com to meet my fiance, and they do not have an IMBRA form. I thought this could be an issue so I emailed the help desk and included the below email response in my initial I-129 application package, but they still sent me an RFE asking for this IMBRA from that I never did and the "IMBRA" form referenced by the email response, was just a quick online questionaire that I only had to click "submit" and it was all electronic and required no signature on my part. I emailed an Immigration Attorney (even though I wanted to this on my own) and hopefully this week I can get this done. I am not sure really what an Attorney can for me, but at least he should have experience with this.

Dear member,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please be advised that section
4 (B) (ii) of IMBRA exempts dating companies whose principal business is not to provide dating services between US citizens and foreign nationals so long as it charges comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals regardless of gender or country of citizenship. Consequently our company is exempt as it falls within this exemption (as do many other
large dating companies).

However, as a service to our members, we provide an optional form to all our websites for US residents to complete the required IMBRA background information. This ensures we are complying with the legislation and will also assist our members who wish to apply for USA K non-immigrant visa in future.

Full information regarding IMBRA can be found
at
http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/images/IMBRA2005.pdf

-------------------------------
original

Hello,

Many years ago when I
first paid into your website, I met my fiancé
here. Now 4+ years later we are
finally applying for a US Visa and I
need to show proof that I submitted a
IMBRA questionnaire / form. How
do I obtain one or print it out from your
site?

Thanks for your help.

Filed: Timeline

Please see this recent thread_

Shauneg highlighted the TOS stating the line the service is NOT a marriage broker. It is recommended to print it out and use it to respond to the RFE along with a link to the page where it is found online.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/544788-rfes-for-filipinocupidcom/

http://www.filipinocupid.com/en/general/termsofuse

Filed: Timeline

The specifics of IMBRA, when a company takes your money under IMBRA - they are required to run a background check on you and present it to the foreign party- a company that takes your $$$ and is not and IMBRA well they dont run background checks with your money they just take your money and provide umm other services like fancy webpages and what not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.