vani85

N400 processing but my green card expires soon

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I sent my N400 application on Feb 3rd 2015 and USCIS received it on Feb 13th. I did my finger prints in Detroit office on March 4th .

Below message is displayed when I checked on my case status:

On March 9, 2015, we started the interview scheduling process for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization ,Receipt Number ####. We will send you an interview notice. Please follow any instructions in the notice.

My Green card will expire on 06/04/15;

Question : Do I need to renew my green card for work authorization since my case in line for interview from March 9th on wards. Currently I am working .

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vani

No, you are permanent resident for life. Don't waste money on I-90, good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I don't think you are a permanent resident for life. They changed that, so you only have a 10 year GC. You have to renew your GC every ten years. I would call and ask USCIS that question.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/renew-green-card

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

I don't think you are a permanent resident for life. They changed that, so you only have a 10 year GC. You have to renew your GC every ten years. I would call and ask USCIS that question.

The physical card expires but LPR status won't.

N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If your card expires you are still a permanent resident; your status doesn't change.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Hello Everyone,

I sent my N400 application on Feb 3rd 2015 and USCIS received it on Feb 13th. I did my finger prints in Detroit office on March 4th .

Below message is displayed when I checked on my case status:

On March 9, 2015, we started the interview scheduling process for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization ,Receipt Number ####. We will send you an interview notice. Please follow any instructions in the notice.

My Green card will expire on 06/04/15;

Question : Do I need to renew my green card for work authorization since my case in line for interview from March 9th on wards. Currently I am working .

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vani

Don't waste money renewing your GC after N400 filing. You continue to be a Permanent Resident despite GC expiration (unless one abandons residence, which you haven't). Avoid travel outside the US on an expired card as some countries and airlines can raise an unnecessary fuss.

Otherwise you should be fine as you seem to be well on your way to citizenship approval. Good luck!

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Thank you Everyone.Today Morning I checked online and now my case status :

Interview Was Scheduled:
On April 29, 2015, we scheduled an interview for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization , Receipt Number ####. We will mail you an interview notice. Looks like I will be getting interview letter pretty soon in mail. I am hoping that they will schedule my interview before G.C expiry date.
Thanks
Vani

It is usually within a month from now, good luck.

N400

Timeline

Hello All,

I received my interview appointment letter - USCIS gave June 4th , and my GC also expires same date, will there be any possibility to prephone my interview appointment.

If yes could some one help/share information.

Thanks
Vani

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello All,

I received my interview appointment letter - USCIS gave June 4th , and my GC also expires same date, will there be any possibility to prephone my interview appointment.

If yes could some one help/share information.

Thanks

Vani

Can you prepone your interview?

No.

Will it matter?

No.

The rules state that you have to have filed your N400 at least 6 months before your green card expires. If that's not the case, then you are required to renew your green card before applying.

However, I have NEVER read about a case where this requirement was enforced. So whether or not your green card is expired on the day of your interview or a week after or a month before is irrelevant. The interviewer will either enforce the 6 month rule or he/she won't. It's almost certain that the rule won't be enforced and you'll be fine.

You don't need a non-expired green card unless you are planning to travel after the interview.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your support.Yesterday I went for interview, officers didn't question on my expired green card. Next week I have Oath Ceremony.

Thanks

Vani

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.