Equil

Withdrawn from DV 2014 program, regrets creeping in, what are my options?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

I've won the DV 2014 lottery with a late Case Number but was eventually invited for an interview somewhere around late August 2014 if I recall correctly.

However, at that time I was just about to be a fresh graduate with little money and no connections or family in the US. I was also pursuing life in another country (where economical barriers are significantly lower) and decided not to pursue the Green Card (I actually would if the requirement about entering US within 180 days didn't exist). So few weeks prior interview date, I called my local Embassy and told them I was no longer interested.

Now I just want to make sure about few things:

1. As I understand, my registration is expired and there is no bringing that chance back? And if I were to pursue a Green Card again, I would have no advantages over someone who has never taken part in the DV lottery?

2. Since I already took part in DV lottery and then withdrawn, does that make me non eligible to register for future DV lotteries? Or puts me at any disadvantage?

Thank you for your help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I've won the DV 2014 lottery with a late Case Number but was eventually invited for an interview somewhere around late August 2014 if I recall correctly.

However, at that time I was just about to be a fresh graduate with little money and no connections or family in the US. I was also pursuing life in another country (where economical barriers are significantly lower) and decided not to pursue the Green Card (I actually would if the requirement about entering US within 180 days didn't exist). So few weeks prior interview date, I called my local Embassy and told them I was no longer interested.

Now I just want to make sure about few things:

1. As I understand, my registration is expired and there is no bringing that chance back? And if I were to pursue a Green Card again, I would have no advantages over someone who has never taken part in the DV lottery?

2. Since I already took part in DV lottery and then withdrawn, does that make me non eligible to register for future DV lotteries? Or puts me at any disadvantage?

Thank you for your help

1. Yes that year already passed and all allocated visas have been issued so there's no way to claim eligibility on that your DV 2014 winnings. Even if you were to pursue a Green card again there's nothing like an advantage over another pursuer you just have to be qualified for it that's all.

2. No you're still eligible to register and participate as long as you want your withdrawal was your personal loss not loss of eligibility.

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Just to confirm the answers above: (1) yes - you may as well have never won at all; (2) no - no impact on future entries.

This is kind of a lesson about keeping options open too (although from your post you would not have been able to activate your visa so it wouldn't have applied) - I've known a few cases where people were not sure about moving but attended the interview and activated their visas, to keep their options open - you can give yourself almost 18 months after your interview to make up your mind if you do it this way (6 months to activate and another 12 to return). There are obviously costs involved, but I know at least 3 couples who were glad of doing this as "not wanting to go" became settled in the U.S. as various circumstances changed in their lives.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.