obrakeo

Name game.

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm a little confused with the married/maiden name. Came across this topic:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/545098-maiden-name-vs-married-name/

From what I read early on ( more than a year ago when initially filing i-130 ), I could file all my paper work with my wife taking my surname and we'd avoid having to pay any fees to change it once we arrived in the states.

NLR was kind enough to point out some options in the above thread:

You can change the passport now
or
you can change the green card after arrival
or
you can wait for removal of conditions and change the green card at that time

I just want to make sure this all applies to the consulate here in HCMC.

My current situation is:

Filed I-130 with my surname, which also included the maiden name ( which is what I thought they'd cross reference for any discrepancies ).

Wife's passport is maiden name.

Marriage certificate is maiden name.

Police certificate is maiden name.

Really, everything else is maiden name. As its not part of Vietnamese culture to take on the husbands surname. The only instances of the new married name is on any paperwork I've submitted to USCIS/NVC. So far I've hit no bumps with USCIS or NVC, everything has sailed through. Our interview date is coming up May 11th, so I want to take care of anything that will make our lives easier with this process.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the process. What will be the case if I leave everything as-is. They will issue visa in maiden name which in turn becomes green card name which we will have to change later?

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Was able to get some information from the consulate:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your inquiry.

A new passport with the beneficiary’s married name is not required for her immigrant visa interview. The beneficiary may wish to talk to USCIS when she fills out the application for her green card to change the name accordingly.

Sounds like it's option two that NLR stated. I'm hoping its just a matter of filling out the form accordingly states side, and not a huge fee involved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.