Jump to content

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm a little confused with the married/maiden name. Came across this topic:


From what I read early on ( more than a year ago when initially filing i-130 ), I could file all my paper work with my wife taking my surname and we'd avoid having to pay any fees to change it once we arrived in the states.

NLR was kind enough to point out some options in the above thread:

You can change the passport now
you can change the green card after arrival
you can wait for removal of conditions and change the green card at that time

I just want to make sure this all applies to the consulate here in HCMC.

My current situation is:

Filed I-130 with my surname, which also included the maiden name ( which is what I thought they'd cross reference for any discrepancies ).

Wife's passport is maiden name.

Marriage certificate is maiden name.

Police certificate is maiden name.

Really, everything else is maiden name. As its not part of Vietnamese culture to take on the husbands surname. The only instances of the new married name is on any paperwork I've submitted to USCIS/NVC. So far I've hit no bumps with USCIS or NVC, everything has sailed through. Our interview date is coming up May 11th, so I want to take care of anything that will make our lives easier with this process.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the process. What will be the case if I leave everything as-is. They will issue visa in maiden name which in turn becomes green card name which we will have to change later?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was able to get some information from the consulate:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your inquiry.

A new passport with the beneficiary’s married name is not required for her immigrant visa interview. The beneficiary may wish to talk to USCIS when she fills out the application for her green card to change the name accordingly.

Sounds like it's option two that NLR stated. I'm hoping its just a matter of filling out the form accordingly states side, and not a huge fee involved.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.