Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

filling I-765

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Go to this link and read the instructions for the I-765: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-765instr.pdf

You need to determine which category you fall under to be eligible for EAD. Once you figure out the category you fall under, enter the code in line 16 of the I-765 form.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm a non-US citizen married to my husband ( a USA citizen last year), filling form I-765 how do I answer question number 16? I came with a R/B2 visa. Is a9 correct?

Thank you

No A9 is not correct. A9 is the category you would use if you entered the US on a K-3 visa. You did not.

Did you file adjustment of status yet? If not, you cannot file form I-765.

If you did file, then your category will be C9--adjustment applicant.

NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014



NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;

Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  RFE:  07/09/2015;

Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015



05/23/2017 -- Mailed ROC application

05/24/2017 -- NOA1 date

05/30/2017 -- NOA1 received in the mail

06/05/2017 -- Biometrics letter received

06/13/2017 -- Biometrics appointment

09/05/2018 -- Approved without interview!

09/13/2018 -- 10 Yr Green card Received


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to the current protracted AOS processing times, it is generally recommended that when you file your I-485 (AOS), you concurrently file for the EAD/AP (I-765/I-131) combo card. There are no additional fees if concurrently filed. There are numerous forum threads lamenting the fact that folks need to travel home for family emergencies, etc. prior to the processing of their AOS and then they have to scramble around trying to get an Advance Parole document (I-131). Save the potential hassles, and concurrently file for EAD/AP combo card. :thumbs:



Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi friends, I am in US with R/B2 visiting visa now and I got married with a US citizen in April 2014. I wanna send my i-485 and other forms for getting green card. I wanna know do I need to get a K visa now? Do I need to change my visa to K or it is useless?

Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...