Mag&Chef

Any issue with importing your Kia to usa?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi.

I'm preparing all the documents needed for my Kia SUV 2013, everything seem correct, except the letter

Stating that the vehicle conforms to all applicable FMVSS except for the labeling requirements of Standards Nos. 101 Controls and Displays and 110 Tire

Selection and Rims or 120 Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles other than Passenger Cars, and/or the specifications of Standard No. 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment, relating to daytime running lamps.

I talked to Kia customer service representative, he told me that by the law they deliver only one letter state that there is no recall on it and conform to Canadian motor vehicle safety standards (CMVSS) because the vehicle is manufactured to be sold in canada so they deal with canadian government.

its tricky.....

please can anybody help me with their experience?

NOA1 date: 9-22-2014

interview: September 18/ approved

visa received: September, 24, 2015

POE: October,5,2015

AOS/EAD/AP: October 29,2015 

EAD/AP approved:01/26/2016 card received: 02/02/2016

AOS approved:02/02/2016

02/09/2016 GC received

ROC/CITIZENSHIP/Passport-refer to my timeline...

I'm Done now, thank you to this wonderful VJ community ...Good luck to everyone....

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Was that model exported to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Was that model exported to the US?

Hi,

its a sportage 2013

02/09/2016 GC received

I'm Done now, thank you to this wonderful VJ community ...Good luck to everyone....

happy tom and jerry GIF

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

was this resolved? were you able to import?

we're having the same problem with our 2012 Kia Soul, California requires US safety standards but Kia letter only has Canadian safety standards on it

I heard that the cars are manufactured the same with the exception of the daytime running lights for Canada. So far haven't been able to get a letter from Kia that is suitable to import the car to California.

Do we really have to drive it back to Canada to sell it there?

Timeline

was this resolved? were you able to import?

we're having the same problem with our 2012 Kia Soul, California requires US safety standards but Kia letter only has Canadian safety standards on it

I heard that the cars are manufactured the same with the exception of the daytime running lights for Canada. So far haven't been able to get a letter from Kia that is suitable to import the car to California.

Do we really have to drive it back to Canada to sell it there?

Hi, Im still in canada waiting for the K1 visa process to be completed.

in the mean time when I was driving to new jersey I asked an officer at the border custom about the car, he said that its gonna be ok. and I asked my KIA dealer from whom I had my car he said he never heard that somebody had an issue on importing Kia vehicle to US.

then I went to KiA dealer in new jersey and he told me that I will be ok, perhaps I have to do a minor changes to get it conform.

so on august I will go to new jersey and will bring the papers to customs, then see if i will be ok.

So Im praying first to finish with the process, its too long,waiting from september 2014.

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I used the basic letter from Kia that said my 2011 Forte complied with all Canadian safety, emission and environmental standards and that it has no recalls listed.

I had no problem importing it at the border in Detroit. Also, since it is valued at under $10000., I paid no import fee.

I brought the filled out form at http://stnw.nhtsa.gov called Declaration, Importation of motor vehicles... , checking the box 2B which says that the car is certified by the original manufacturer as conforming to all applicable Canadian standards...

and attached the letter from Kia. I also scanned and attached the sticker from the door and the one under the hood. That was actually helpful as I filled out the US form on their clipboard at the border.

I was later told when I registered it and licenced it in Florida, that I cannot sell it in the US because it has the Canadian console with km.

You can sell it... good luck trying to find someone to buy it unless it's super cheap though. It should state MPH under the KPH, just like US vehicles state KPH under the MPH. Unless it's a digital readout, then I'm not sure how to change it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I used the basic letter from Kia that said my 2011 Forte complied with all Canadian safety, emission and environmental standards and that it has no recalls listed.

I had no problem importing it at the border in Detroit. Also, since it is valued at under $10000., I paid no import fee.

I brought the filled out form at http://stnw.nhtsa.gov called Declaration, Importation of motor vehicles... , checking the box 2B which says that the car is certified by the original manufacturer as conforming to all applicable Canadian standards...

and attached the letter from Kia. I also scanned and attached the sticker from the door and the one under the hood. That was actually helpful as I filled out the US form on their clipboard at the border.

I was later told when I registered it and licenced it in Florida, that I cannot sell it in the US because it has the Canadian console with km.

Ohhhh its a good news I'm relieved thank you so much for sharing your experience.

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Hi,

did anybody asked you for the tpms, (tire pressure monitoring syst) at the border or at the DMV?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Mag&Chef

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, they didn't. When I went to get it registered, an officer with a clipboard asked for my keys and went downstairs to look at the car. I don't know what she did. She came back, handed me a paper to take back to the tax office where they gave me a title paper to replace my Canadian one. To get my Florida driver's licence, I passed an eye test and gave them my Ontario driver's licence. They took my picture and issued the new Florida one on the spot. You need your US social security number and card to get it.

hmmmmm this has me doing some reading/researching..... I may be able to bring my car with me after all **fingers crossed** ((It's a Cobalt))

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Timeline

No, they didn't. When I went to get it registered, an officer with a clipboard asked for my keys and went downstairs to look at the car. I don't know what she did. She came back, handed me a paper to take back to the tax office where they gave me a title paper to replace my Canadian one. To get my Florida driver's licence, I passed an eye test and gave them my Ontario driver's licence. They took my picture and issued the new Florida one on the spot. You need your US social security number and card to get it.

Thank you so much for your help.

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Timeline

this really depends on where you're importing to, trying to import to California is complicated

when we crossed the Vancouver border the officer said the Kia letter wasn't sufficient since it didn't have US safety standards on it, we tried to import to California and though it worked until they later notified us that the paperwork wasn't right for the same reason

http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Active%20RI%20listJune2015.pdf

speaking to people that handle this from the list above I get different answers, some say TPMS is critical, some don't mention it

I'm told I can get a 'letter of conformity' for $900, going to do this and hope it works. Otherwise I don't think we have any choice but to drive it back to Vancouver to sell, a big hassle for sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.