vosvis

Possible negative impact processing because of first name change?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My fiancée and I are getting close to starting our visa journey and I wanted to know if the following fact about me (the fiancé) will have a negative impact on the the handling/approval of our forms:

I recently changed my first name from the one I got at birth for a very personal reason, in short because the name had a lot of negative memories and so I changed it. In The Netherlands this isn’t done easily and you have to hire a lawyer, go to court where a judge decides if the reasoning is within the boundaries of laws attached to this kind of thing. And I had to pay all of this which costs nearly €1500, meaning I was super serious about it. My birth certificate and other government papers/passport now reflect this change.

My concerns are 1) if I need to provide translated documents about the name change, like the judge’s approval; and 2) if this seems suspicious to the clerks that handle the visa requests (because i’ve done this right before we will begin our visa journey).

Thanks in advance,
Oscar

K1 VISA - CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

Jan 30th 2016   :: I-129F SUBMITTED

June 21st 2016 :: INTERVIEW IN AMSTERDAM → APPROVED!!

ROC (I-751)

March 10th 2020 :: Form delivered

March 17th 2020 :: NOA1 

Sept. 26th 2020   :: Finger print apt. waived

Dec. 30th 2021    :: Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem, but make sure you take all the documentation with you to prove it. All the forms ask if you have ever been known by any other names, so if the answer is yes, whether by former marriage or otherwise, they will want proof of this. I don't know what your embassy's position is on translations though. If everything else needs to be translated, I would imagine the name change papers would be, too.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Thank you for the response.

The fiance speaking here.

So just to be clear I can fill in my adjusted first name, then at each section that asks (for example from the I-129F form) "Other Names Used" I fill in my name given at birth (so before the legal change.)

I do not have to give my fiancee a translated court document right?

Edited by vosvis

ROC (I-751)

Timeline

The VJ guide does say.

Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen [/size]and/or foreign fiance is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.[/size]

While the USCIS instruction for the form says

If either you or the person for whom you are filing is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents, you must submit copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order.

If i need to add it, it'll have to be official translated I take it.

I have read that you can translate it yourself, anyone have experience dealing that that?

http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

Edited by vosvis

ROC (I-751)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The VJ guide does say.

While the USCIS instruction for the form says

If i need to add it, it'll have to be official translated I take it.

I have read that you can translate it yourself, anyone have experience dealing that that?

http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

If you think you will have to use the same document for the embassy stage then I would get it professionally translated. Some embassies like Sweden only allows translations to be from a certain company. Don't know how it works for yours.

Timeline

Thanks for the help everyone, decided to just get it translated since it's an important document.

Topic may be closed if required since the problem is solved.

Edited by vosvis

ROC (I-751)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.