Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

freelancing in USA

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I'm a EU freelancer (Dutch nationality, registered freelancer in Spain), and I got an offer to work for a San Fransisco based studio (temporarily / project-based as freelance).

I'm an art-director / senior designer, and I pay taxes and send invoices from Spain.

I've been searching the web and the information is very scattered and vague. I understand that working on distance is absolutely no problem, but coming over and temporarily working on-site seems to be very eloborate, costly and difficult.

The questions are very straightforward but bureaucracy seems to make it impossible to give straighforward answers;

-Do I need a VISA, and if yes which one?

-What are the costs for me and for the employer/hiring company?

-How long will it take to obtain the right papers?

Hopefully there are people with the same experience as me, to shed some light on the workings (or simply provide some straightforward answers ;)) and... I certainly I hope I'm wrong ;)



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

So you'll be working for, and being paid by, a U.S. company?

What did their HR department and their lawyer say?

good luck

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you need a visa, probably a credit card as well, but it does not have to be VISA.

Most unlikely you could do it as a freelancer, anyway it is something your prospective Employer would sort out, they are the ones that have to sponsor you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@canadian_wife and @boller thanks for the reply, apparently the whole process is as elaborate and complex and costly as i feared for a short term project it would probably not even worth it as it seems, which is a pity. thanks for some insight anyway!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...