5 posts in this topic

Hey you guys,

Just a quick question on form I-765 in the AOS package:

When asked in question 11 "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization?" I had to answer "Yes" and complete the following questions ("Which USCIS Office?", "Date", and "Results" (Granted)).

I had received a temporary EAD card back when I did my Optional Practical Training year (OPT) after my last visa (F-1, student). So I attached documentation of that to the I-764:

1) A front copy of my previous (temporary) EAD card, clearly showing start and end dates. I couldn't do a back copy because I still had the front copy from earlier but can no longer find the actual EAD card I had back then. Also a copy of my F-1 visa, which expired in 2009, after which I did my OPT year and then left the States on time when I was supposed to.

2) A photocopy of my I-797 document that came in the mail with the EAD card.

Now that I found it, I also want to attach a copy of Page 3 of the SEVIS I-20 document I had back then, in which the head person from my international student office approved me for OPT and signed the whole thing.

I feel like that information will help USCIS see that I had an EAD in the past, that it was properly authorized to go with the visa I had at the time, and that all went according to the rules. But of course still make it obvious that it was only temporary so I will need a new one.

But is including that helpful or overkill?

Thanks so much for your replies!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Overkill really, since you are not requesting a renewal. You are checking off 'Permission to accept employment' and filing under a whole new (c )(9 ) category.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

So just the copy of the EAD card and the form it came with is enough?

By the way, I think one of my previous posts just vanished from the forum. I just posted in it and can't find it again. No idea what's happening here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, just need the copy of the EAD, which can serve as your ID for the form, and 2 passport photos If you are changing your name through marriage, then you may want to add a copy of your marriage certificate for the I-765 as well. I have seen some people getting RFEs for sworn statements about what their current legal name is.

I think you are speaking of your cover letter post. I had just replied in it not long ago too. I asked if the mods could remove at least the last names that were posted in it, for privacy issues. Perhaps the post is just hidden until they can edit it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Sorry, I didn't realize that I had posted last names. My bad. I just want to send out the whole package tomorrow morning so wanted to be sure I've checked everything for completeness. What is your opinion on letters from employers? Do they have to be included? Both my husband and my joint sponsor included letters from their employers back when we filled out the paperwork for I-129F. Them getting letters now would kind of keep us up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.