lyane

Urgent: Oath Ceremony letter mailed but not received what do I do

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Help Needed :

On March 16 I received a notification that my oath ceremony was scheduled and that I will receiving the notice with the location and time in the mail. It is been more than 2 weeks now and I have not received anything. From my experience with the post office in my area I am pretty sure that this mail is lost. The email notification I received says that if I don't receive it by April 15, 2015 I should contact them. However the next ceremony is April 14!! Since I waited a while to get scheduled I am pretty sure that I am scheduled for April 14. I know the uscis email always ask you to contact them in 30 days if you haven't received the mail, this notification is automatically generated and I am pretty sure that they don't check their dates to make sure that the day you should contact them is not after the day you should show up. What should I do?

- Can I just show up at the ceremony and hope that they will let me in if my name is on the list even if I don't have the letter?

- Is there anyway to know when I was scheduled for? I called customer service and they were not very useful

- Is it normal for the letter to take so long? I usually get the letter within one week of notification, all the time I didn't receive the immigration letter within 2 weeks, it was lost.

BTW, I live in washington DC and my oath is at the court in DC.

Please help, I have been waiting to get schedule for 3 months now and I dont want to take a chance to miss it..

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Help Needed :

On March 16 I received a notification that my oath ceremony was scheduled and that I will receiving the notice with the location and time in the mail. It is been more than 2 weeks now and I have not received anything. From my experience with the post office in my area I am pretty sure that this mail is lost. The email notification I received says that if I don't receive it by April 15, 2015 I should contact them. However the next ceremony is April 14!! Since I waited a while to get scheduled I am pretty sure that I am scheduled for April 14. I know the uscis email always ask you to contact them in 30 days if you haven't received the mail, this notification is automatically generated and I am pretty sure that they don't check their dates to make sure that the day you should contact them is not after the day you should show up. What should I do?

- Can I just show up at the ceremony and hope that they will let me in if my name is on the list even if I don't have the letter?

- Is there anyway to know when I was scheduled for? I called customer service and they were not very useful

- Is it normal for the letter to take so long? I usually get the letter within one week of notification, all the time I didn't receive the immigration letter within 2 weeks, it was lost.

Please help, I have been waiting to get schedule for 3 months now and I dont want to take a chance to miss it..

Thanks

I've read about several people being in similar situations. Some called USCIS and were given the date and place over the phone. Some were told to call back again in a week or two weeks if the letter hadn't been received because USCIS only responds to such requests if the ceremony is within a week of the call. I don't know which is the case for your office. You say that they weren't helpful on the phone, but maybe you should call again or make an Infopass appointment. Are you sure that you're scheduled for the April 14th ceremony? If not, then showing up at the ceremony without a letter may be a waste of time. In some cases, USCIS has agreed to fax a copy of the letter (they won't email it) so if you do decide to call them back. try to have a fax number handy just in case.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Thanks JimmyHou,

I am not 100% sure I am scheduled for that date but there is 50% chance I am and I dont want to take any chance. On the other hand I am pretty sure that my letter is lost.

I just called the uscis again and they said the same thing, that I should wait for my notice, they wouldn't tell what day or time it was. They said they don't have any more information.

I wonder if the people you were talking about called a different number (like the local office number). is there any thread you could point me too?

I tried infopass and they don't have any appointment in my area.

I don't mind going to the ceremony and wasting my time, my only worry is that they might not let me in without the letter or I might not get the naturalization certificate.

On the other hand my husband is going for his interview tomorrow, I wonder if it will be inappropriate for him to ask the immigration Officer about my case when he is done with his (assuming I can convince him to do that lol)

This is so annoying..

Timeline

My other question is how do I make sure I talk to an officer when I called the uscis. I asked and they didnt want to connect me, what is the trick?

Definitely go with your husband for his interview and ask while you're there. Also ask him to ask his interviewer if he can help with your missing letter.

If that doesn't work call back next week. Tell them that your ceremony is in a few days (just assume it's on the 14th) and that you need to know the time and place. Ask to speak to an officer. If they tell you to wait, tell them that you can't wait because your ceremony is wishing a couple of days.

If you go to the ceremony without a letter they may or may not let you in. If thy do let you in they'll have to print a new letter for you there because you have to sign it and fill out the questionnaire. If it is at a USCIS field office this may be easier than if it is at a courthouse.

May or may not work. If none of that works, you'll miss your ceremony and they'll send you a letter asking you to explain why you missed it. When you reply they will schedule a new ceremony.

Your best bet is at your husbands interview.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

At my interview they wouldn't let anyone come with the interviewee, how can I manage to ask the question while I am there? Because I know they wont let me in the room? any tips?

1) if all goes well for your husband, he can bring up the issue when the interviewer tells him to wait for his own oath ceremony.

2) when you're in the building, just ask someone there. If they're not very busy they may be willing to help.

Hi JimmyHou,

Thank you so much for your suggestion!

I went with my husband to his interview and i asked the receptionist and we was able to print the oath ceremony letter in less than 5 minutes.

And yes my ceremony is scheduled for April 14th!!

So happy :-)

Thanks so much.

Timeline

Hi JimmyHou,

Thank you so much for your suggestion!

I went with my husband to his interview and i asked the receptionist and we was able to print the oath ceremony letter in less than 5 minutes.

And yes my ceremony is scheduled for April 14th!!

So happy :-)

Thanks so much.

Glad the suggestion helped!

If you go to the ceremony without a letter they may or may not let you in. If thy do let you in they'll have to print a new letter for you there because you have to sign it and fill out the questionnaire. If it is at a USCIS field office this may be easier than if it is at a courthouse.

Me again :-)

The print out I received is just one page with the the address and the date of the ceremony, nothing else. You mentioned that I will need to sign it and fill out the questionnaire, does the questionnaire comes with the letter in the post or you get it at the ceremony? Does the letter has some specific space for signature? I might have received just a simple print out, now I wonder if this is will be enough...

Timeline

Me again :-)

The print out I received is just one page with the the address and the date of the ceremony, nothing else. You mentioned that I will need to sign it and fill out the questionnaire, does the questionnaire comes with the letter in the post or you get it at the ceremony? Does the letter has some specific space for signature? I might have received just a simple print out, now I wonder if this is will be enough...

There's a sample of the oath letter that you should have received here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531322-what-to-expect-at-the-naturalization-oath-ceremony/

Click on the link on the first post.

The back of the letter has a questionnaire and a signature space. You need to fill this out, sign it and turn it in along with your green card at the beginning of the ceremony. You should probably get there a little early and explain what happened and ask them for a complete both letter for you to fill out.

• 3 years later...
Filed: Timeline

I am in this same spot as the op was. It looks like she got her notification somehow by going to the office. That is amazing. 

We were told by the IO at the interfiew that "the oath ceremony letter will arrive in 10 days". AND, that our oath would take place THIS month, so July, which will be on the 24th according to the LA convention center's website. I almost want to show up there without the notification, even though I know it probably wont work. 

I called them today and they just said I must wait 30 days to be able to ask about this lol. I asked what if we miss the scheduled oath ceremony while waiting the 30 days, and was told to just follow the instructions on the notice to reschedule. That was a very interesting "solution". 

For the life of me i am not sure why they can't just deal with things like this on the phone. 

• 8 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 4/2/2015 at 11:08 AM, lyane said:

Help Needed :

Thanks

On 4/2/2015 at 11:16 AM, JimmyHou said:

I've read about several people being in similar situations. Some called USCIS and were given the date and place over the phone. Some were told to call back again in a week or two weeks if the letter hadn't been received because USCIS only responds to such requests if the ceremony is within a week of the call. I don't know which is the case for your office. You say that they weren't helpful on the phone, but maybe you should call again or make an Infopass appointment. Are you sure that you're scheduled for the April 14th ceremony? If not, then showing up at the ceremony without a letter may be a waste of time. In some cases, USCIS has agreed to fax a copy of the letter (they won't email it) so if you do decide to call them back. try to have a fax number handy just in case.

So did u get the help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2015 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.