Umka36

Adoptee from South Korea faces deportation from US

60 posts in this topic

Seems he has some skills that will easily transfer.

Or is this a dig at the US education system?

it wasn't a dig at the us education system. i think you've had enough experience to know that moving to a foreign country with zero contacts, is way more complicated than the mere transfer of applicable skill.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

it wasn't a dig at the us education system. i think you've had enough experience to know that moving to a foreign country with zero contacts, is way more complicated than the mere transfer of applicable skill.

Something he perhaps should have thought about when considering his career choices?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Something he perhaps should have thought about when considering his career choices?

of course, i mean aren't all three year olds mapping out their citizenship/career options and keeping the lookout for any possible conflicts???

Timeline

Not many 3 year olds engage in Burglary and Assault.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Green card holders are being deported for committing felonies too.

So it is also inhuman to deport them to home countries that they did not live for years.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Not many 3 year olds engage in Burglary and Assault.

did you even read what he endured as a child/teen? all you're focused on is the fact that he has a criminal history. i mean, after living a life like his - i'm not surprised he went through a rough patch.

Seven years after Crapser and his sister were adopted, their parents abandoned them. The foster care system separated Crapser, 10 at the time, from his sister, whom he was dependent on, according to orphanage records.

The boy bounced through several foster and group homes. When Crapser was 12, he moved in with Thomas and Dolly Crapser, their biological son, two other adoptees and several foster children.

The next four years, Adam Crapser said, the couple choked, kicked and hit him and the other children every day, slammed them against walls, set dogs to attack them and burned them with hot objects.

"Everything I did was wrong," he said. "As far as humiliation goes, I have been there."

His father also used racial epithets to address him and forced him to forget Korea.

"He always told me I'm American, and that I need to let go of my past," Adam Crapser said.

In 1991, the couple was arrested on charges of physical child abuse, sexual abuse and rape. They denied the charges. Thomas Crapser's sentence included 90 days in jail, and his wife's three years of probation.

Because students at his high school teased him about the abuse, Adam Crapser said he dropped out of 9th grade.

He became homeless and slept in a shelter or the back of an old car while working several fast food jobs and finishing his high school equivalency diploma at night.

The Crapsers had not obtained U.S. citizenship papers for him.

Over the next few years, Adam Crapser struggled alone, and also got into trouble with the law.

Once it was after he broke into his parents' home — it was, he said, to retrieve the Korean Bible and rubber shoes that came with him from the orphanage — and later it was for stealing cars and assaulting a roommate.

Because he lacked a green card to prove he could work in the U.S., he opened a barber shop and an upholstery business — something he could do without immigration papers.

He said his parents withheld his adoption record for years, so it wasn't until 2012 that Adam Crapser submitted a green card application — which set in motion his path to a deportation hearing.

Adam Crapser said he takes full responsibility for his crimes, but he has "done his time" and changed his life.

"America promised me a home," he wrote in his court declaration. "I implore this country to keep its promise. If not for me then for my children, so they won't have to grow up without a dad."

Green card holders are being deported for committing felonies too.

So it is also inhuman to deport them to home countries that they did not live for years.

there's a difference between someone who came here at the age of three and someone who moved here as an adult.

Timeline

there's a difference between someone who came here at the age of three and someone who moved here as an adult.

Of course there is, but nothing relevant to this case.

Of course there is, but nothing relevant to this case.

he was abandoned by the usc's who brought him here and abused by the foster parents who took him in afterward. if we don't hold the adults involved to some standard of care for adopting children from foreign countries, what's the difference between foreign adoption and just regular old human trafficking? i can go adopt a korean baby, abuse it, never apply for the proper greencard paperwork, then simply abandon the kid once it hits those annoying tween years, just hand the kid over to the state. whatever.

Filed: Other Timeline

A straightforward story that is decorated with the consequences and how those consequences should be forgiven because, well, because it's a sad story with more victims than the original lawbreaker.

Federal immigration officials say they became aware of Crapser after he applied to renew his green card two years ago: his criminal convictions, ranging from burglary to assault, made him potentially deportable under immigration law.
Adam Crapser said he takes full responsibility for his crimes, but he has "done his time" and changed his life.
In the US, we have the rule of law. And, despite having a heart-wrenching story does not provide the opportunity legal precedence to cut in line. Responsibility and consequences are words omitted from the open border folks.
Edited by xxClosedxx

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

he was abandoned by the usc's who brought him here and abused by the foster parents who took him in afterward. if we don't hold the adults involved to some standard of care for adopting children from foreign countries, what's the difference between foreign adoption and just regular old human trafficking? i can go adopt a korean baby, abuse it, never apply for the proper greencard paperwork, then simply abandon the kid once it hits those annoying tween years, just hand the kid over to the state. whatever.

And presumably the state has no responsibility for what happened to the child at all during care. If it's not punishing the adoptive parents or the abusers and is instead further abusing the person who had no say in what happened to them as a child, then the US flag deserves a one finger salute as the values it is supposed to stand for clearly mean nothing.

I imagine, it would have been better for him to have stayed in south Korea, unfortunately that wasn't his choice. Just like it's not his choice to stay in the USA. All in all, that's extremely unjust.

The state should take responsibility for this this and fix it, rather than hiding behind bureaucracy to make it go away.

Edited by Venkman

In the US, we have the rule of law. And, despite having a heart-wrenching story does not provide the opportunity to cut in line.

try reading the op first. cut in line...jeez.