boardercrosser

Montreal Money Grab

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Looking for feedback on moving things to US... what works, what doesn't...

I've been tossing around how to move my stuff from Alberta to Kentucky

I will be selling about 90% of my things, but have a couple of family heirloom pieces that I want to take, and then likely about 20 boxes of personal items.

Ideally,if I could rent a cargo/panel van for a one way trip that would be perfect, but can't seem to find any companies that will do a one way rental on a cargo van. It would take about 3 days to drive, and I would be doing the trip alone

To drive urself on a 1 way rental..Uhaul is pretty much ur only option...they do have vans, but they may not allow them for 1 way...when I did a trial booking a 10ft truck was the smallest and only $2100,ouch

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

11 days in montreal....is there really that much to do there? personally I don't think so and its not that cheap of a city. best doing your medical in bc and do an overnighter in montreal. the interview is quick....an easy in an out and the USC doesn't have to be there

i'm from the toronto area, I did the K1 interview in 2012, I stayed overnight. this time i plan on flying in and out on the same day.

this entire process is a money grab...as if ldr are cheap!!!

i will be so happy when this is over.

good luck with your decisions and as difficult as it may be going alone...it really isn't that difficult. saylin's overview of the consulate is impeccable and the reviews of the interviews are spot on. make sure she reads up on these.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Timeline

At least it'll be more comfortable than a uhaul!

Dont forget all the paperwork to import her SUV. :)

I know...............

That is gonna be the next headache

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

01-14-14 case received by NVC

02-19-14 case number and IIN# assigned, gave NVC email add.

02-19-14 optin for electronic processing email sent

02-24-14 submitted DS-261

02-25-14 invoiced and paid for I-864

02-27-14 AOS shown as paid

03-10-14 optin email accepted by NVC

03-11-14 DS-261 accepted by NVC

03-12-14 scanned and emailed AOS

03-12-14 invoiced and paid for IV fees

03-24-14 IV fees shown as paid

04-02-14 Received and Resubmitted AOS checklist

08-01-14 DS-260 completed and submitted by wife

10-12-14 IV docs scanned and emailed

10-14-14 NVC scan date letter recd 10/27

03-17-15 case complete

04-23-15 medical- Surrey BC

05-15-15 interview - Montreal

xx-xx-15 wife receipt of passport with US PR visa

xx-xx-15 wife in US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

11 days.. wow.. I won't have too much problem with money grab, if they provided the results same day as scheduled appointments.

I am writting in this thread, since this is most relevant to my situation.

I work in Detroit. Want to do consular processing in Montreal. And wanted to do shortest possible trip to do both medical and consular processing (hoping to get green card same day).

I see a lot of you guys did adventurous road trips.

I know entire Quebec can be nice vacation. But I am a single dad of 2 year old. So I can't afford to be that adventurous.

Edited by fellaamazing

Timeline

Looking for feedback on moving things to US... what works, what doesn't...

I've been tossing around how to move my stuff from Alberta to Kentucky

I will be selling about 90% of my things, but have a couple of family heirloom pieces that I want to take, and then likely about 20 boxes of personal items.

Ideally,if I could rent a cargo/panel van for a one way trip that would be perfect, but can't seem to find any companies that will do a one way rental on a cargo van. It would take about 3 days to drive, and I would be doing the trip alone

I moved from Alberta to Florida. I rented one of those small U haul trailers because I didn't have much stuff. I pulled it with my truck, and had my dad come with me. It took us from Oct 3 to Oct 7 to get here! Once here, I sold my truck. Worked for me! I would try to get someone to go with you.. cuz really.. that's one hell of a roadtrip to do by yourself.

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Timeline

I drove from DC to Stoon on my own. If u like to drive not a big deal....USa highways are so much nicer to drive on and gas is cheaper,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Same day processing is very rare right now. Think 3 days to a few weeks.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I drove from DC to Stoon on my own. If u like to drive not a big deal....USa highways are so much nicer to drive on and gas is cheaper,lol

lol.. I used to think that way when I lived in Canada.

True that US have way more highways, and most have a lot less traffic compared to 401. But most of them are made of concete, full of potholes and uneven surfaces. Much less budget of maintenance. Many don't get rebuild for several decades. While driving on Canadian highways is like driving on red carpet.

Timeline

lol.. I used to think that way when I lived in Canada.

True that US have way more highways, and most have a lot less traffic compared to 401. But most of them are made of concete, full of potholes and uneven surfaces. Much less budget of maintenance. Many don't get rebuild for several decades. While driving on Canadian highways is like driving on red carpet.

Not my experience at all...the highways I have driven in the USA have been far superior compared to the Trans Canada......Great shape driving from DC to Saskatoon....very few traffic lights on the USA..smooth sailing..same goes when I have driven from Rhode Island to Tampa...great roads........

Most of my driving in Canada has been Saskatchewan to Victoria, driven that route many times.....beautiful scenery, but roads can be a pain at times

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.