boardercrosser

Montreal Money Grab

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

Called Medisys to schedule an interview for the medical. My wifes medical is scheduled for Friday May 15. Already knowing about Montreal Medisys' 3 day waiting requirement I thought ohh perfect we can get it done on monday May 11. Unfortunately the representative said no immigrant visa applications are scheduled on Monday or Fridays. So Thursday May 7 was the earliest we could schedule. Wow so we have to spend 11 days in Montreal just for a medical exam. That is ridiculous.

On the other hand Surrey medical takes 1 day to get results. I guess my wife is gonna have to fly there. She has relatives there and only has to take 2-3 days off of work.

The dilemma is my wife lives 2 hours from Saskatoon and doesn't want to quit her job until visa is in hand which I support.

This process keeps getting more fun by the minute.... Like I said I won't sleep easy until my wife and I cross the border together visa and passport in hand

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

01-14-14 case received by NVC

02-19-14 case number and IIN# assigned, gave NVC email add.

02-19-14 optin for electronic processing email sent

02-24-14 submitted DS-261

02-25-14 invoiced and paid for I-864

02-27-14 AOS shown as paid

03-10-14 optin email accepted by NVC

03-11-14 DS-261 accepted by NVC

03-12-14 scanned and emailed AOS

03-12-14 invoiced and paid for IV fees

03-24-14 IV fees shown as paid

04-02-14 Received and Resubmitted AOS checklist

08-01-14 DS-260 completed and submitted by wife

10-12-14 IV docs scanned and emailed

10-14-14 NVC scan date letter recd 10/27

03-17-15 case complete

04-23-15 medical- Surrey BC

05-15-15 interview - Montreal

xx-xx-15 wife receipt of passport with US PR visa

xx-xx-15 wife in US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

Called Medisys to schedule an interview for the medical. My wifes medical is scheduled for Friday May 15. Already knowing about Montreal Medisys' 3 day waiting requirement I thought ohh perfect we can get it done on monday May 11. Unfortunately the representative said no immigrant visa applications are scheduled on Monday or Fridays. So Thursday May 7 was the earliest we could schedule. Wow so we have to spend 11 days in Montreal just for a medical exam. That is ridiculous.

On the other hand Surrey medical takes 1 day to get results. I guess my wife is gonna have to fly there. She has relatives there and only has to take 2-3 days off of work.

The dilemma is my wife lives 2 hours from Saskatoon and doesn't want to quit her job until visa is in hand which I support.

This process keeps getting more fun by the minute.... Like I said I won't sleep easy until my wife and I cross the border together visa and passport in hand

boardercrosser

I feel your pain. I live in Alberta and will be going to Surrey for my medical then to Montreal for my interview which is booked for May 20. Still waiting to hear from Dr. Cheema's office on appointment date.

I am lucky that I can use up some of my airmiles for these trips.

I am also lucky that my boss knows all about my leaving the country, and he doesn't want to lose me as an employee, so we are looking at the logistics of me working remotely for him from the US once I move.

Timeline

Hi Suzie,

Why are you still waiting on Dr. Cheemas office if I might ask? Cant they book an appointment for you right away? I am about to call them for some info. My wife is planning to get to Vancouver wed go to dr cheema thur and then pick up on friday if thats possible. I am dreading telling my wife tonight about the Montreal situation.

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

03-17-15 case complete

xx-xx-15 wife in US

Timeline

Hi Suzie,

Why are you still waiting on Dr. Cheemas office if I might ask? Cant they book an appointment for you right away? I am about to call them for some info. My wife is planning to get to Vancouver wed go to dr cheema thur and then pick up on friday if thats possible. I am dreading telling my wife tonight about the Montreal situation.

Hi Bordercrosser

I just found out about my interview on Friday, so I emailed them Friday afternoon requesting an appointment, With the 1 hr time difference, it's hard for me to call during his office hours. I may try to call tonight when I get home from work if they are still open

Timeline

Hi again Suzie, I called them and there was nobody to talk to. The voice mail said to email which I did. I hope to hear from them soon. Seems discouraging that they haven't responded to you yet. I see a hotel in downtown Montreal that is $53 that looks pretty good. Might just have to go that route just to have peace of mind. This entire process from start to finish has been 3 steps forward 2 steps behind.

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

03-17-15 case complete

xx-xx-15 wife in US

I worked out when I went for my interview it was just as expensive to go to Surrey and back and then Montreal, as it was for me to stay in Montreal for a week.

But I also don't have family to stay with in Surrey.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hi again Suzie, I called them and there was nobody to talk to. The voice mail said to email which I did. I hope to hear from them soon. Seems discouraging that they haven't responded to you yet. I see a hotel in downtown Montreal that is $53 that looks pretty good. Might just have to go that route just to have peace of mind. This entire process from start to finish has been 3 steps forward 2 steps behind.

Hi again bordercrosser

I got an email with my medical appointment from Dr. Cheema's office late this afternoon, so I figure they reply in approximately 24 hours business days only. I requested a Thursday appointment and Dr. Cheema's office was great and scheduled it for Apr 9 at 8:45 am, so I will fly in on the Wed night after work, go for the medical on Thursday, pick up the results on Friday and spend the weekend visiting friends

I booked into a hotel a block from the Consulate. A little pricey, but I figured I'd splurge a little.

Edited by SuzieQTpi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

I feel your pain. I had to book my medical for Feb 3 to have it done in time for a Feb 10 interview. I live in Winnipeg, so it just made sense for me to just go once and get it over with. Lots of cool stuff to see in Montreal but by day #10 we were more that ready to get on that plane and come back to the prairies. (The wallet still hasn't recovered yet!)

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

The uhaul was darn near as expensive as my week in Montreal! 1800 plus gas. Sigh.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I dreaded talking to my wife last night as I knew she would be mad about the Montreal situation. We decided to meet in Vancouver April 22 and do the medical in Surrey. Then She's gonna go by herself to Montreal for the interview the day before. Then Im gonna meet her In Saskatoon to drive back to LA with her stuff (god willing). Cant wait for this to be over

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

03-17-15 case complete

xx-xx-15 wife in US

You're driving from Saskatoon to LA? OMFG. I thought Red Deer to Denver was bad. I'm so sorry. BTW, buy a lock for your uhaul, they don't come with locks.

Timeline

Dad just sold the house in Saskatoon and moving to Kamloops...so a much shorter Uhaul drive for me when I help with the move,lol A few yrs back there used to be a Dr in Calgary, but that came to a stop. I drove from DC to Saskatoon in 2011, was a nice trip..just me and the dog....little over 2000 miles each way

Make sure u check over the Uhaul truck, as they are known not to service them well. My tire pressure was a bit low in mine. Lucky gas is down!! Safe trip

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

my wife hardly has anything. We are just driving her SUV loaded but yeah Its gonna be a long journey....

USCIS

07-23-13 NOA1

12-13-13 NOA2

NVC

03-17-15 case complete

xx-xx-15 wife in US

At least it'll be more comfortable than a uhaul!

Dont forget all the paperwork to import her SUV. :)

Timeline

Looking for feedback on moving things to US... what works, what doesn't...

I've been tossing around how to move my stuff from Alberta to Kentucky

I will be selling about 90% of my things, but have a couple of family heirloom pieces that I want to take, and then likely about 20 boxes of personal items.

Ideally,if I could rent a cargo/panel van for a one way trip that would be perfect, but can't seem to find any companies that will do a one way rental on a cargo van. It would take about 3 days to drive, and I would be doing the trip alone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.