11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Today we filed our forms in the local office lockbox office in Chicago with the assistance of a lawyer. I have been a spectator for a while. Now our journey begins. I have taken a few pointers from many as we gathered our documents. We have been dating for 13 years just married March 5, 2015 in Vegas (now that was a Easy Button we had a Groupon wedding). We filed for status change, work permit, & emergency travel not clear on the numbers just yet). We have made a beautiful photo album of all our years together. We took professional pictures at our wedding. However I do not have records of all our phone calls down thru the years since we both have had different phones & carriers down thru the years. I am here on a B1/B2 visa, which will expire 12/2015 have visited my spouse many times and so has my spouse visited me in my country. My spouse is a foster parent and I am taking classes to become one too.

With 13 years of dating and many visits and pictures that tell our story, a recent wedding, a paper trail of money transfers and wire transfers. A most recent joint bank acvount. Is there anything else anyone may suggest that we do or gather to prove the validity of our relationship? Or a y kinds of suggestions as we wait.

Today we filed our forms in the local office lockbox office in Chicago with the assistance of a lawyer. I have been a spectator for a while. Now our journey begins. I have taken a few pointers from many as we gathered our documents. We have been dating for 13 years just married March 5, 2015 in Vegas (now that was a Easy Button we had a Groupon wedding). We filed for status change, work permit, & emergency travel not clear on the numbers just yet). We have made a beautiful photo album of all our years together. We took professional pictures at our wedding. However I do not have records of all our phone calls down thru the years since we both have had different phones & carriers down thru the years. I am here on a B1/B2 visa, which will expire 12/2015 have visited my spouse many times and so has my spouse visited me in my country. My spouse is a foster parent and I am taking classes to become one too.

With 13 years of dating and many visits and pictures that tell our story, a recent wedding, a paper trail of money transfers and wire transfers. A most recent joint bank acvount. Is there anything else anyone may suggest that we do or gather to prove the validity of our relationship? Or a y kinds of suggestions as we wait.

Joint finances are great for bona-fides. The only other thing I can suggest is any written correspondence (paper/electronic) you have between the two of you and travel documents like boarding passes, car rentals, etc. Other than that I think you're all set! Good luck on your journey.

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Timeline

Thank you for your response however I don't believe I kept boarding passes. Not for sure if my spouse did but I do have a lot of text messages. Maybe I can find some hotel receipts. Any ideas how long? Our lawyer says 2 months for work permit & ssn. I am eager to start my carrer. Also if I decide to try my hand at college will I ever be eligible for student aid?

Thank you for your response however I don't believe I kept boarding passes. Not for sure if my spouse did but I do have a lot of text messages. Maybe I can find some hotel receipts. Any ideas how long? Our lawyer says 2 months for work permit & ssn. I am eager to start my carrer. Also if I decide to try my hand at college will I ever be eligible for student aid?

I'm a different visa type to you, so I really don't know a lot about adjusting status - sorry about that! Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Introducing our Members to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Greetings V Fam,

Just a bit up update since my last post. On August 24, 2015 we had our interview at the Chicago office. I think all went well. I noticed that the agent who interviewed us spent quite a bite of time reviewing the divorce decree of my spouse. Many of her questions seem to stem from what she was reading in the divorce papers. She took quite a few notes from the divorce papers as well from our responses.

A few days after our interview we got a letter requesting two new passport photos, requesting a head shot the request was for a photo with 1 inch demenesion above head and 1 inich below the chin. We quickly complied with such a strange request. However it was a line item on the form letter that was address to me.

Since that time we have yet to hear anything. Never a welcome letter that others have spoke of. But as always we are patientry waiting. If anyone has had an experience of this nature Please chime in. All comments welcome.

Did you check your receipts status online? You filed i-130 and i-485 together right? My thread is right next to yours, we haven't heard anything for over a month, no online updates either. Apparently its common... We had our interview in Chicago as well. But i know a couple who had an interview a week before us (also in Chicago) and they got their welcome letter in 5 days <_< I don't know whats taking so long, although my husband (the petitioner) was married before too.
We were dating for 4 years (in US) and lived together for a couple of years before we got married, traveled a lot together, anyway i was sure that we had more than enough evidences for an instant approval, and still for some reason we have to wait. Its not fair :(

Edited by banana_princess

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

Timeline

Thanks for your response. Have you heard anything yet? We have not no welcome letter no nothing. You mentioned that we should check online. Can you please share that link. We had an attorney to assist us with this process do you think there will be information onine since we have an attorney.

Again thank you for sharing your story.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

you can check your status here: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

The number that you enter is the one on all papers that you get from USCIS (Notice of Action, Bio appointment and etc)

It is more likely (I hope so) you will get your welcome letter when all the things that they asked for (apparently they need your photos, because you either did not send enough or incorrect or they lost them) will be attached to your file.

And yes, you can get financial aid if you decide to go to school. You are eligible for it and it is going to be based on your family income.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.