Ivy.

IR-1 visa holder in Texas, driving questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hi,

I'd like to find out how I can drive. I wanted to get a drivers licence, but TxDPS website says the following:

When applying for your first Texas driver license or identification card, you must provide documents to prove you have lived in Texas for at least 30 days.

I don't have that proof. I entered the US on March 17th, so we have been here less than 30 days. May I still use my Croatian driver's licence until I get a TX one, or should I not drive? :/

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I'd like to find out how I can drive. I wanted to get a drivers licence, but TxDPS website says the following:

I don't have that proof. I entered the US on March 17th, so we have been here less than 30 days. May I still use my Croatian driver's licence until I get a TX one, or should I not drive? :/

if that's the rule for Texas, that's the rule. The U.S. does not have reciprocity with your country so you cannot outright use yours. Search in your area how to obain an international drivers license usually AAA can do it. It's usually a ten minute process and very easy. With that and your foreign license you can legally drive.

Timeline

I actually took my international drivers licence with me every time I came to the US since 2008.... but this time I forgot it at home. -_- I'll have my sister mail it over, thanks. :)

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from General Immigration Discussion forum to the "Moving to the US & Your New Life" forum, where similar topics are often discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hi,

Your wife can fill out an affidavit on your behalf and show proof of her residency and that you two are related (marriage license).

Texas Residency Affidavit http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-5.pdf

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The rule is you can use your DL up to 90 days after entry in USA in Texas, Is police gonna to ask for any type of immigration document, I pretty sure no.

DPS will allow someone to sing a paper saying you have been here the required number of days, they will have to show two type of proof like Driver License and or Concealed Handgun Licenses or mail with their address on it.

Timeline

Your wife can fill out an affidavit on your behalf and show proof of her residency and that you two are related (marriage license).

Texas Residency Affidavit http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-5.pdf

Hey Nich-Nick, thanks for that. Does it mean that as long as my husband has been a resident for over 30 days (he has) and we are related (married), they will not require me to have 30 days of residency? That would be awesome!

The rule is you can use your DL up to 90 days after entry in USA in Texas, Is police gonna to ask for any type of immigration document, I pretty sure no.

DPS will allow someone to sing a paper saying you have been here the required number of days, they will have to show two type of proof like Driver License and or Concealed Handgun Licenses or mail with their address on it.

A foreign licence can be used for 90 days? That would be pretty cool!

I actually got my SSN in mail so I have 2 documents (my visa and SSN) to show. :)

Hey Nich-Nick, thanks for that. Does it mean that as long as my husband has been a resident for over 30 days (he has) and we are related (married), they will not require me to have 30 days of residency? That would be awesome!

A foreign licence can be used for 90 days? That would be pretty cool!

I actually got my SSN in mail so I have 2 documents (my visa and SSN) to show. :)

I don't quite even understand their 30 day residency thing, but yes I think the affidavit signed by you husband is supposed to cover the proof of residency.

Visitors can drive in TX for a year, I believe. When anybody moves to Texas, they are required to switch to a TX license within 90 days. So yes, you have 90 days to drive on whatever license you hold.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I don't quite even understand their 30 day residency thing, but yes I think the affidavit signed by you husband is supposed to cover the proof of residency.

Visitors can drive in TX for a year, I believe. When anybody moves to Texas, they are required to switch to a TX license within 90 days. So yes, you have 90 days to drive on whatever license you hold.

It's worth pointing out that you will want to have passed the test by the time that 90 days are up, and while it is very simple for most Europeans, the driving test is usually scheduled several weeks in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.