Coraliine

Few K1 questions for living abroad

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I am filing a K1 for my fiance, who is Dutch. We live together in the Netherlands and have been living together for almost two years now.

When filing the I-129F I need to pay the fee in USD. I do have a US bank account with Bank of America currently, but I have no checks with me in the Netherlands. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the payment either using Bank of America or some other way when living abroad?

I also have proof of our relationship with my visa from the Netherlands. It is a relationship visa that is given to me by the Dutch immigration department on the basis that we live together and are in a romantic relationship. My visa is in both English and Dutch, can/should I include this in the documents we have? I can also include our address registration from the town hall showing that we live together in the same address. Does anyone know if this is accepted proof? Naturally, I have other things like photos and travel records of us going to/from the US within the last two years for visits and family events.

Am I allowed to accompany my fiance on his trip to the consulate for his interview, when the time comes? Naturally I want to go with him, as hell, it's my own consulate.

Regarding co-sponsorship: I work freelance in Europe, but have not been making enough money to provide as proof (cash payments). I just graduated from college in February, so I was not working full time during that time. I will be asking my father to co-sponsor the visa, which will be more than enough. Other than the I-134 is there any other document that he would need to sign? I was recently offered a job in California which would pay me well above the required salary. Is including the job contract enough to prove I have sufficient income to support the two of us? I also have quite a bit of money in savings in the US, more than enough to satisfy the income requirement, but it's not an income. Should I include this on the form?

Thanks y'all! Fingers crossed that this process goes quickly, the companies I've been interviewing with are quite pushy about me starting work soon and I want to try to get this visa done before all that as we have to move our German Shepherd to the US as well. Who knew trying to move to my home country would be this much of a pain! When I moved here all we had to do was write a letter about how we met, get my birth certificate and passport, and pay a few hundred Euro and now I can live in the Netherlands with all rights (including voting!!) for 6 years!

Edited by Coraliine

I'll do my best to help!

I am filing a K1 for my fiance, who is Dutch. We live together in the Netherlands and have been living together for almost two years now.

When filing the I-129F I need to pay the fee in USD. I do have a US bank account with Bank of America currently, but I have no checks with me in the Netherlands. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the payment either using Bank of America or some other way when living abroad?

Did a quick search and found this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297810-i-129f-payment-abroad/ Seems that money order is the way forward.

I also have proof of our relationship with my visa from the Netherlands. It is a relationship visa that is given to me by the Dutch immigration department on the basis that we live together and are in a romantic relationship. My visa is in both English and Dutch, can/should I include this in the documents we have? I can also include our address registration from the town hall showing that we live together in the same address. Does anyone know if this is accepted proof? Naturally, I have other things like photos and travel records of us going to/from the US within the last two years for visits and family events.

I lived with my fiance in Japan for 2 years so I included our visas/resident cards in our evidence to prove we had been seeing each other in person during that time. It's worth putting in, I'd say! We were approved so it couldn't have hurt the application to show what you've been up to for the last 2 years. Photos are usually the big one.

Am I allowed to accompany my fiance on his trip to the consulate for his interview, when the time comes? Naturally I want to go with him, as hell, it's my own consulate.

In the UK you have to contact the embassy to tell them that you are coming with them. I think US citizens are allowed in but friends/family of the petitioner aren't unless they need assistance. Check the US embassy in the Netherlands website perhaps?

Regarding co-sponsorship: I work freelance in Europe, but have not been making enough money to provide as proof (cash payments). I just graduated from college in February, so I was not working full time during that time. I will be asking my father to co-sponsor the visa, which will be more than enough. Other than the I-134 is there any other document that he would need to sign? I was recently offered a job in California which would pay me well above the required salary. Is including the job contract enough to prove I have sufficient income to support the two of us? I also have quite a bit of money in savings in the US, more than enough to satisfy the income requirement, but it's not an income. Should I include this on the form?

My fiances Dad sponsored me, in the UK they ask for a letter from his employer that states his job title, how long he's worked there, his annual salary and if he's full time/part time/temporary. It has to be signed by the employer with ink, it cannot be a copy. They also asked for his tax returns too from the previous year. I had copies of his payslips but they didn't want them. Every embassy is different though, so worth wandering into your regional form and doing a quick search in there to see what they like to see.

When does your job start? Will you be working there soon? If you are leaving the Netherlands and begin working then you can sponsor your fiance on your own. If you check the webpage for the I-134 form there's an instructions PDF, it has a list of the supporting evidence that is required.

Thanks y'all! Fingers crossed that this process goes quickly, the companies I've been interviewing with are quite pushy about me starting work soon and I want to try to get this visa done before all that as we have to move our German Shepherd to the US as well. Who knew trying to move to my home country would be this much of a pain! When I moved here all we had to do was write a letter about how we met, get my birth certificate and passport, and pay a few hundred Euro and now I can live in the Netherlands with all rights (including voting!!) for 6 years!

I hope that helps in some way. All my advice is from someone who applied within the UK, but every country is different. It's worth noting that the I-134 was required for us at interview stage, if that's the case for you there is time left before you have to worry about that. Concentrate on your application and the evidence first I'd say.

Good luck with moving back and transporting your dog! I hope everything goes well, do they give dogs something to help them sleep during the flight? It's hard uprooting your life when you've settled down somewhere, when I moved back from Japan it was such a pain despite only being there a couple of years. Crazy how easy it was for you to live in the Netherlands! So convenient.

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Timeline

I actually don't know who to ask regarding the necessities for the Netherlands as we can't file directly with the embassy here. There is no USCIS in the Netherlands, so I have to file directly with one of the offices in the US. Would I still be able to ask questions of the consulate in Amsterdam? The last time I needed help from them (getting a verification that I was unmarried for my Dutch visa) they were really unwilling to help and ridiculously standoffish.

As for when the job starts, I'm not 100% sure. I'm putting off final interviews with all the companies because they require me to go in on site in California, and that's pretty expensive to do at the moment. But they've all basically said that they'll be pretty lenient since I have this whole situation. I need to start by July at the absolute latest since I have to start paying off my student loans in August. Having my dad's employer sign a piece of paper would be.. impossible haha. He's a politician who holds public office, so I don't really know who exactly would sign that form him other than all of the people that voted him in, I guess.

As for the dog, no. It's not allowed with KLM, which is the airline we're taking him with. Apparently it can cause some serious issues and is generally advised against nowadays, which surprised me because when my parents took our old dog on a flight it was recommended that he get sedated.

Yeah, the hardest part is deciding what stays and what goes. I had honestly expected to be in Europe for the rest of my life, so I bought top of the line kitchen items (I like cooking) and lots of other expensive and not easily replaceable items. Since the economy here is absolutely terrible and job opportunities for me are hard to come by, we're going to be heading back to the US.

I actually don't know who to ask regarding the necessities for the Netherlands as we can't file directly with the embassy here. There is no USCIS in the Netherlands, so I have to file directly with one of the offices in the US. Would I still be able to ask questions of the consulate in Amsterdam? The last time I needed help from them (getting a verification that I was unmarried for my Dutch visa) they were really unwilling to help and ridiculously standoffish.

As for when the job starts, I'm not 100% sure. I'm putting off final interviews with all the companies because they require me to go in on site in California, and that's pretty expensive to do at the moment. But they've all basically said that they'll be pretty lenient since I have this whole situation. I need to start by July at the absolute latest since I have to start paying off my student loans in August. Having my dad's employer sign a piece of paper would be.. impossible haha. He's a politician who holds public office, so I don't really know who exactly would sign that form him other than all of the people that voted him in, I guess.

As for the dog, no. It's not allowed with KLM, which is the airline we're taking him with. Apparently it can cause some serious issues and is generally advised against nowadays, which surprised me because when my parents took our old dog on a flight it was recommended that he get sedated.

Yeah, the hardest part is deciding what stays and what goes. I had honestly expected to be in Europe for the rest of my life, so I bought top of the line kitchen items (I like cooking) and lots of other expensive and not easily replaceable items. Since the economy here is absolutely terrible and job opportunities for me are hard to come by, we're going to be heading back to the US.

Check the Europe forum on Visajourney, you might find a thread in there of people who have been through the process. There are embassy reviews here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Netherlands

And information about the embassy here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Netherlands&cty=Amsterdam

Since you're applying for a K-1 Visa you send your I-129f to the Texas Lockbox, read all the information on this page for the address when sending your petition outside of America: http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

What more questions would you ask your consulate? To be honest all the information you could need is on this website! I found VJ more helpful than the UK embassy website.

Hmm, that's tricky, I guess politicians don't have contracts! Maybe talk to him about it and see what he says, he might have an idea on who can write up that letter for him confirming his position and his pay. I mean, they don't NEED a letter, I just know that the UK embassy likes letters. But tax returns and copies of pay slips should be fine too.

Poor doggy, I heard it can get pretty loud down there too! If it's a one time thing then it should be ok.

That's a shame you had to leave. Does your fiance have family that would be willing to store some of your items for now? I know I'll be getting rid of a lot of things, but I'll leave some things at my parents for when I come back for Christmas to take back with me. You could always look into shipping it over on a crate for a price though.

I am the beneficiary

Timeline

I would ask what they want to see, since you recommended me asking them what they wanted to see.

Unfortunately houses are very small in The Netherlands and I doubt either of his parents have room in their homes after years of accumulating their own stuff. But I will check.

Does anyone know if I can have a check signed by someone who isn't myself as the payment for the I-129F? I have no access to checks here but my mom does. I can send the paperwork to her to put with the check and then send to the lockbox. But I wasn't sure if they would make a fuss since we don't have the same last name.

I would ask what they want to see, since you recommended me asking them what they wanted to see.

Unfortunately houses are very small in The Netherlands and I doubt either of his parents have room in their homes after years of accumulating their own stuff. But I will check.

Does anyone know if I can have a check signed by someone who isn't myself as the payment for the I-129F? I have no access to checks here but my mom does. I can send the paperwork to her to put with the check and then send to the lockbox. But I wasn't sure if they would make a fuss since we don't have the same last name.

My fiances Dad paid for our fee for a similar reason, didn't cause any problems. As long as the money goes through I don't think they care too much!

The procedure is typically the same across the board. They'll want to see a birth certificate, affidavit of support + evidence, police certificate, any foreign police certificates, DS-160 Confirmation page (once your case gets to the embassy you'll have information regarding this), proof you've paid for the visa/courier fee (you'll be told this when you get an interview letter), an up to date passport and a US sized photo. Some embassys like to see more evidence that you're still in a relationship.

I am the beneficiary

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Go to the bank and have them issue a bank check.

I also have proof of our relationship with my visa from the Netherlands. It is a relationship visa that is given to me by the Dutch immigration department on the basis that we live together and are in a romantic relationship. My visa is in both English and Dutch, can/should I include this in the documents we have?

Sound official so why not.

I can also include our address registration from the town hall showing that we live together in the same address. Does anyone know if this is accepted proof?

Sure, why not.

Naturally, I have other things like photos and travel records of us going to/from the US within the last two years for visits and family events.

Only need to show proof of one meeting in person.

Regarding co-sponsorship: I work freelance in Europe, but have not been making enough money to provide as proof (cash payments). I just graduated from college in February, so I was not working full time during that time. I will be asking my father to co-sponsor the visa, which will be more than enough. Other than the I-134 is there any other document that he would need to sign?

No, besides the documents required to go along with the 134. YOU also will fill out and submit a 134....kind of to show that you do indeed need the cosponsor.

I was recently offered a job in California which would pay me well above the required salary. Is including the job contract enough to prove I have sufficient income to support the two of us?

No, you need to be actively employed to show it as proof.

I also have quite a bit of money in savings in the US, more than enough to satisfy the income requirement, but it's not an income. Should I include this on the form?

Most don't if the income is fine. Savings are only valued at I believe 30% of their total.

The hurdle is not so much for you but your future spouse.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I actually don't know who to ask regarding the necessities for the Netherlands as we can't file directly with the embassy here. There is no USCIS in the Netherlands

USCIS offices are only located in the US!

so I have to file directly with one of the offices in the US. Would I still be able to ask questions of the consulate in Amsterdam? The last time I needed help from them (getting a verification that I was unmarried for my Dutch visa) they were really unwilling to help and ridiculously standoffish.

The usual suggestion is to ask the Embassy.

Most airlines these days don't require sedation, maybe in years past. Many airlines do maintain a list of dogs that are not allowed to travel, the Shepard won't be on that list.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Another question, I'm looking at the processing times for the different lockboxes. MUST I send it to the Texas one? They have the longest processing time at the moment of over 200 days, where others are listed at 26 or 64 days.

Another question, I'm looking at the processing times for the different lockboxes. MUST I send it to the Texas one? They have the longest processing time at the moment of over 200 days, where others are listed at 26 or 64 days.

Yes, you have to send your petition to the Texas Lockbox, however, the Texas lockbox and the Texas processing center are 2 different things. Once your petition is received at the Texas lockbox it will be sent (not transfered) to either California or Texas depending on which State the petitioner lives.

Edited by -Shana-

I am the beneficiary

Timeline

Well I don't live in the US, so what then? My parents are in NY, and I'm considering using their address for correspondence. If I use their address does it go to Vermont? If I use mine overseas then where does it go?

Will that cause an issue though? Part of my proof is that I live with my fiance here in the NL and have a residence permit based on our relationship. If I use that as proof but list my mailing address as US based will that be a problem?

Well I don't live in the US, so what then? My parents are in NY, and I'm considering using their address for correspondence. If I use their address does it go to Vermont? If I use mine overseas then where does it go?

Will that cause an issue though? Part of my proof is that I live with my fiance here in the NL and have a residence permit based on our relationship. If I use that as proof but list my mailing address as US based will that be a problem?

Since you're applying to have your partner move to America then my guess is that they expect you to have an address in the US where you will be living. If you don't have one yet, then I'd recommend using your parents address first then change your address once you're settled in America again.

No, the I-129f's go to either Texas or California. There is a list somewhere on the site that shows which States belong to which service centre.

I actually have no idea if using your foreign address would cause complications, but you would have to explain your intentions to move back to America fully in your evidence. However my fiance was living in Japan the entire time that I went through this process, we used his parents address and all has gone well. All that we did was state in the explanation of us having met in the last 2 years that he fully intends to move back to America once his contract of employment in Japan had ended. No issues.

I am the beneficiary

Timeline
No, the I-129f's go to either Texas or California. There is a list somewhere on the site that shows which States belong to which service centre.

Really? I read that Vermont does it as well on this website among with others.

Does anyone know where I can get a list? I tried googling it but I can't quite find it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

They will send notices, so using a US mailing address is best. Your parents can let you know when you receive something, such as an RFE that needs to be responded to in a timely manner.

See this post about mailing to the lockbox > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/538432-process-for-the-mailing-and-receiving-of-i-129f-petitions/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

They will send notices, so using a US mailing address is best. Your parents can let you know when you receive something, such as an RFE that needs to be responded to in a timely manner.

See this post about mailing to the lockbox > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/538432-process-for-the-mailing-and-receiving-of-i-129f-petitions/

Damn Texas.. all right thanks. Disappointing because their wait times are so long.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.