typo808

Time frame for mom to get tourist visa-Philippines to USA, permanent resident

53 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, your MIL's chances of getting a tourist visa are less than winning the jackpot on the Lottery, UNLESS, she can show very strong ties to the PI, or has travelled to other countries requiring a visa and returned. The biggest problem is she now has a daughter, SIL and grandchild in the US. The Embassy will think she is using the tourist visa to enter the US and then not leave. After her daughter becomes a US citizen, she will petition for her Mother to become a LPR.

Now whether that is true or not, it is up to HER to convience the person working in the Embassy reviewing her tourist visa application to think otherwise. Too many people have abused the tourist visa and now everyone who applies from a non First World country are usually denied.

At least you are risking $165 instead of thousands to find out if she can get a tourist visa. Expect and plan for the worst and be surprised if she is granted a visa.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Unfortunately, your MIL's chances of getting a tourist visa are less than winning the jackpot on the Lottery, UNLESS, she can show very strong ties to the PI, or has travelled to other countries requiring a visa and returned. The biggest problem is she now has a daughter, SIL and grandchild in the US. The Embassy will think she is using the tourist visa to enter the US and then not leave. After her daughter becomes a US citizen, she will petition for her Mother to become a LPR.

Now whether that is true or not, it is up to HER to convience the person working in the Embassy reviewing her tourist visa application to think otherwise. Too many people have abused the tourist visa and now everyone who applies from a non First World country are usually denied.

At least you are risking $165 instead of thousands to find out if she can get a tourist visa. Expect and plan for the worst and be surprised if she is granted a visa.

Dave

Exacly all this....I wouldn't bet on one getting approved. Definitely does not jurt to try and won't affect future attempts unless she lies or defrauds something.

Edited by Shauneg

Timeline

Would you recommend a letter from her employer verifying length on employment and vacation time allotwed? Additionally, MIL has 3 kids 16, 12, 7 that she is the primary provider, certified midwife, husband passed away several all years ago. Are these answered on a form or during the interview?

I'm also assuming if she does not make enough money at her job to subsidize her trip, red flags would pop up as to how she can afford such a trip.

I'm researching but could use more insight and tips

Edited by typo808

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would you recommend a letter from her employer verifying length on employment and vacation time allotwed? Additionally, MIL has 3 kids 16, 12, 7 that she is the primary provider, certified midwife, husband passed away several all years ago. Are these answered on a form or during the interview?

I'm researching but could use more insight and tips

Something does not add up, you said she wants to come for 3 months at least?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Something does not add up, you said she wants to come for 3 months at least?

No, MIL wants to come for as long as possible, however long is allowed based on how she gets here.

I'll explain it again. Wifey is due in May, I'm working all the time. We would like to get her mom here to help her as my dad is dead and MY mom is 83 and frail. MIL would like to help for as long a period as allowed.

Sorry if abrupt. Typing on mobile device

Edited by typo808

Timeline

You said she is a single mother with 3 school age children and a job?

And by the sound of it not much money.

How is that possible?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Because you are thinking she lives in a city. She lives in a remote barangay in south Samar, 2-1/2 hrs by boat from Tacloban. Dude....enough interrogating me. Can we get back to figuring out how to get MIL here?

Edited by typo808

Timeline

Ahh well

Let us know how it goes.

Timeline

Ok, on a keyboard now.

MIL job is working for mayor of Daram and as a midwife. As we all know, outside a major city even a small one like Tacloban, pay is barely 1000-2000 php/month. With 9 kids, oldest is dead so now 8, the 3 older kids have moved to the city and send money to mom. I'm putting number 5 through college right now. Number 4 is my wife. We, of course, send money to MIL to help her. FIL is dead 6 years now

So the issue with a tourist visa is proving MIL makes enough money to pay her own way for a vacation to another country. Otherwise it will hurt her chances, no? If the information comes to light the main reason she-MIL-wants a tourist visa.

So the questions I am asking is about the process of MIL getting a tourist visa when, like you said, it "doesn't add up" among other concerns.

My apologies if I was rude. It's rough typing on a mobile device trying to explain a long story like that.

Edited by typo808

Ok, on a keyboard now.

MIL job is working for mayor of Daram and as a midwife. As we all know, outside a major city even a small one like Tacloban, pay is barely 1000-2000 php/month. With 9 kids, oldest is dead so now 8, the 3 older kids have moved to the city and send money to mom. I'm putting number 5 through college right now. Number 4 is my wife. We, of course, send money to MIL to help her. FIL is dead 6 years now

So the issue with a tourist visa is proving MIL makes enough money to pay her own way for a vacation to another country. Otherwise it will hurt her chances, no? If the information comes to light the main reason she-MIL-wants a tourist visa.

So the questions I am asking is about the process of MIL getting a tourist visa when, like you said, it "doesn't add up" among other concerns.

My apologies if I was rude. It's rough typing on a mobile device trying to explain a long story like that.

Boiler is just trying to make you see how the IO at the Embassy will look at her case. She has 3 school age children she is the primary provider for, has a job with a certain amount of vacation, yet she--or your wife and you--want her to stay for the maximum of 6 months if granted by the CBP. That is not going to work as Boiler states "it does not add up". You are trying to show strong ties to the PI yet she will give up those strong ties to be in the US "for as long as possible". You need to paint the picture that she has strong reasons to return to the PI. Children are good. Property is good. A job is good. A spouse would be good too. Relatives would be good. Relatives in the US are bad. You even seem to think that she has a snowballs chance of getting the tourist visa. All you can do is present the facts in as good a light as possible without lying and see what happens. I understand your situation as my wife was denied her first tourist visa and it is like what the F, all she wants to do is visit the US.

You should send her the money for the trip so she can show it in her bank account. She should plan to leave the PI after the children are out of school and show who will be responsible for their care while she is out of the country. She needs to show that her employer is onboard with her vacation plans and expects her back at work on such and such date. If possible I would submit all of that with the visa application--I do not know how one applies for a tourist visa in the PI, my experience is only with family members at the Almaty Consulate in Kazakhstan which has a very specific procedure and you show up a the Consulate on the day of your interview to either be told you are approved or denied--the decision was made based on the information you submit with the application and there is not interview where you can submit additional documentation. You will not know unless you try and pay the application fee which is not refundable.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Ok, on a keyboard now.

I wish you the best. We tried four times to bring my late wife's parents to the U.S. to visit. Four times the tourist visa was denied. There must be sufficient evidence to convince the CO that your MIL will return. This evidence often includes property, job, bank accounts, etc. There are always exceptions and it is worth applying to see if your situation will be different.

Mom wants to be here as long as is allowable. WE want her here for at least 3 months, until my wife is healed and can manage more on her own.

Does your Mom, already passed the interview? Please can you share what requirements & questions on the day of her interview. I am preparing for my Mom to have her interview but we want to gather all documents that might help her to pass the interview. Thank you.

Yeah, I really think we are hoping against hope. We will give it a shot anyways. Thanks all. Stressful time right now

Sorry I didn't see this post but again please can you share your Mom's experience on the day of her interview (if she had one already). All we can do is cross our fingers and pray that they will not be denied.

Timeline

Sorry I didn't see this post but again please can you share your Mom's experience on the day of her interview (if she had one already). All we can do is cross our fingers and pray that they will not be denied.

It won't be for awhile. Mom is still waiting for her passport. It seems to take longer now (wife got her passport in a week, a couple years ago) Mom's passport won't be ready until May 5th. grrrr....

Sorry Dalyn. When it happens I'll definitely post her experience. If you go first, can you do the same?

BTW, we are gathering as much paperwork as possible. Property paperwork, signed letter from Mayor of Daram stating vacation allotment, bank account info (MIL will open a bank account while waiting for her passport), proof that kids are out of school once the current semester ends (not sure to go about that but will figure it out), maybe have her daughter who lives with them create a letter stating Mom is main provider, needs to return and also daughter will care for kids while mom is gone, her mid-wife certificate as proof of other work, husband's death certificate (hope that will help to show that she IS the main provider and needs a vacation having "solely" cared for her family since) whatever paperwork from kids' school that will help (investigating that now).

It is all a shot in the dark. Learned a little here so we are making up the rest as we go along. Keep you posted.

Aloha

Edited by typo808

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.