Aswang Chris

Work visa for family members

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is a question that I am unsure which forum it would fit. My wife ( who just received her AOS) and I would like to bring her sister over here as a domestic helper. She has heard that you can do that. Is it possible? Can we get a work visa for her sister as a domestic helper or child care?

June 03 Josie & I meet as part of my handicraft hobby

June 04 Deploy to Iraq!

Sep 04 Return from Iraq and go to see my Honeyko!

Nov 04 Vacation to Phil to see her & propose!

Feb 05 Go 2 her again..take her 2 Thailand

May 05 Vacation with her and her family for fiesta and to be with her for medical and interview.

The K1 Journey begins

02-06-05 Filed K1 visa

02-13-05 CSC received the K1

02-23-05 NOA1 received in the mail

03-05-05 NOA2 received in the mail

05-27-05 Medical exam

06-03-05 Interview in Manila

06-03-05 Placed in AR

07-05-05Notified of second interview for July 22nd

07-22-05Josie goes to interview DENIED

07-22-05I call Embassy & get DENIED reversed to AR

08-03-05Transferred to "new" Consular Officer

08-13-05Told by Embassy transferred to DOS

08-30-05Told Josie sent a letter to return her passport to Embassy for her application

09-06-05APPROVED

11-14-05MARRIED!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Here is a question that I am unsure which forum it would fit. My wife ( who just received her AOS) and I would like to bring her sister over here as a domestic helper. She has heard that you can do that. Is it possible? Can we get a work visa for her sister as a domestic helper or child care?

Sure, if she can wait about 15 years or so. :whistle:

Check it out at uscis.gov, but I think you'll find that she has to be a citizen before she can petition, and even then it takes 12+ years, maybe longer for the Phils.

It takes a very long time to bring a sibling. Your sister in law would do better to find a way here on her own (work, education etc). Sponsoring your own family member for a domestic position would very likely not fly (work visas are fairly narrow in scope).

You might be better off asking around at the asawa forum to see what methods others have used to speed up family reunification.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sure, if she can wait about 15 years or so. :whistle:

Phillipines, I make it nearer 28 years, assuming current processing times remain constant.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/usa/how-...ork-in-the-usa/

It is written from a British perspective but the principals remain the same.

Best bet would be if a Guest Worker programme is introduced.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Have not heard of hiring a close relative to work as domestic helper. If this was allowed, I'm sure that tens of thousands of Filipino relatives would have gone that route but USCIS and Embassy would probably view that as "circumventing " US immigration laws.

Some Fil-Ams put up a health-care facility to petition relatives to work as caregivers. Petitioner would have to show proof first that he is unable to find American citizens who are willing to do the work being offered.

You might want to read the link below regarding bringing in domestic helpers.

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwhni23.html

I am not sure how you would do that. If you wife wanted to bring a family member under an immigration visa she would need to be a citizen and then the wait is somewhere over 20 years. I would guess that the USCIS would probably not allow immigrating a family member as you proposed.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The original poster is not talking about sibling immigration!

She is talking about a domestic helper. That is a work visa and not family related. There is no 20+ year wait for these visas, otherwise global economics would come to a halt.

It would be great if someone could direct the OP to the information concerning work visas.

I do understand the concern of family members sponsoring their own relatives. But perhaps someone from the husbands family could do so or even more distant relatives or friends for that matter. I believe it is an I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. But I could be wrong. So those who have knowledge please layout the details for this visa.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-129.htm

Filed: Timeline

Aswang Chris,

Can you show that there is no one else already here in the USA who qualifies to be your domestic helper? That your need is unique, and only this person can fill that need?

You might try looking at I-129, the petition for temporary, non-immigrant workers, to get some idea of what may be involved. Getting a worker on a more permanent basis might be even more involved.

30 minutes, or less, with an immigration lawyer outght to be enough for you to get an idea of how workable your idea is, it shouldn't cost you any more than filing a petition 'blind' and getting your answer that way, and it will get you a better answer more quickly.

Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
The original poster is not talking about sibling immigration!

She is talking about a domestic helper. That is a work visa and not family related. There is no 20+ year wait for these visas, otherwise global economics would come to a halt.

It would be great if someone could direct the OP to the information concerning work visas.

I do understand the concern of family members sponsoring their own relatives. But perhaps someone from the husbands family could do so or even more distant relatives or friends for that matter. I believe it is an I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. But I could be wrong. So those who have knowledge please layout the details for this visa.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-129.htm

Speaking for myself I am quite aware of the Work Visa Categories, and I would imagine most of the other posters are as well.

Whilst perhaps there is an exception to every rule, the chances of a succesful application in these circumstances is so small as to be unworthy of consideration.

Also wondering how Global economies are effected by someone not being able to import cheap child care.

But as Yodrak has said, you can always pay your money and get an Immigration Lawyer to either tell you the same thing or suggest there is a route at some extorniate non-refundable fee.

Also your suggestion could constitute visa fraud.

Probably the fastest route would be for her Sister to fix her up with a US Fiancee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What about au pair visas? Are they still around?

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
What about au pair visas? Are they still around?

Yes, they are. But from my little research on this topic, it looks like the person would have to go through one of the ~10 authorized agencies and have training and health care paid for, etc.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.