PlusUltra

SLEC and Asthmatics / Smokers

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJers,

I am worried about my medical exam in SLEC scheduled 2 months from now. I am an active smoker and an asthmatic - do you think this will have an effect on my chest/lung xray? I am worried that they might see something there. But, 8 months ago, I had an xray from my local pulmonologist and it was clear - no TB symptoms whatsoever.

Any insight on this matter (asthma and smoking) would be greatly appreciated.

K1:

May 12, 2015: I-129F Sent

May 19, 2015: NOA 1

June 23, 2015: NOA 2

September 22, 2015: Interview (Approved)

AOS:

June 3, 2016: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail

June 22, 2016: NOA 1

August 19, 2016: EAD/AP Approved

April 25, 2017: AOS Approved

ROC:

February 1, 2019: I-751 Sent via USPS Priority Mail

February 8, 2019: NOA 1

August 24, 2020: Card Received

N400:

March 6, 2022: N-400 Filed Online

March 7, 2022: NOA 1 & Biometrics Reused

October 20, 2022: Interview (Approved)

November 10, 2022: Oath Ceremony

I130 Minor Children:

December 20, 2022: I-130 Filed Online

November 15, 2023: Approval Notice

November 19, 2023: NVC Received

December 11, 2023: DQ'ed

Speaking as a doctor, please stop smoking. It's bad for you to being with. Doing so as an asthmatic is even more foolish.

But when it comes to SLEC and the medical, they're looking for dangers to public health, so if you're clear from TB at the last Xray and are clear now, you should be all set. (Again, if your Xrays at SLEC are clear).

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Doc, I thnk the OP was worried that his lung problems would register a false positive for TB on his chest X-ray. Any chance of that?

Timeline

Speaking as a doctor, please stop smoking. It's bad for you to being with. Doing so as an asthmatic is even more foolish.

But when it comes to SLEC and the medical, they're looking for dangers to public health, so if you're clear from TB at the last Xray and are clear now, you should be all set. (Again, if your Xrays at SLEC are clear).

Yes Doc. Quite understandable. My quit date has been set. Crossing my fingers it will work this time.

As per SLEC, AI422 is correct, will register as a false positive on my TB results?

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

I130 Minor Children:

The CXR findings for TB, Lung Cancer, and Bronchial Asthma in acute exacerbation would all show differently. A trained radiologist would be able to differentiate.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Best way to quit in my personal experience as a former smoker:

-Gradual reduction is better than cold turkey.

-Give your friends/smoking buddies incentives to help you quit instead of sabotaging you. In my case, it was a round of beers and pulutan for every 10 days I went without a smoke.

Edited by manilaraf

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

==========

==========

Hi VJers,

I am worried about my medical exam in SLEC scheduled 2 months from now. I am an active smoker and an asthmatic - do you think this will have an effect on my chest/lung xray? I am worried that they might see something there. But, 8 months ago, I had an xray from my local pulmonologist and it was clear - no TB symptoms whatsoever.

SLEC is responsible for determining if you are currently afflicted with a contagious or communicable disease of public health significance (in other words a disease that would infect the US public, once in the USA, with a dangerous disease) but not if you are a smoker. They could care less about your smoking habits.

You will be reexamined and x-rayed for TB and the findings of SLEC will determine the next medical steps you must take, if any, to secure your visa.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Hi VJers,

My fiancée had a clear x-ray from work and seemingly no TB symptoms. Then SLEC found a small scar followed by positive sputum ... then 8 months of joy with SLEC (detailed in my timeline).

It's good you are asking questions 2 months before your medical. Do what you have to do in order to get yourself healthiest before your exam. Which could include a consult with a doctor to express your concern about the condition of your lungs.

Edited by luckytwo15

My fiancée had a clear x-ray from work and seemingly no TB symptoms. Then SLEC found a small scar followed by positive sputum ... then 8 months of joy with SLEC (detailed in my timeline).

It's good you are asking questions 2 months before your medical. Do what you have to do in order to get yourself healthiest before your exam. Which could include a consult with a doctor to express your concern about the condition of your lungs.

You have good intentions for her health and I commend you for that. But, at this time there is nothing she can do to ready herself. If TB is present, then they found it in time to save her life. If not, then they move on to the other health hazards. Most Filipino's pass the health exam with no problems and those that don't, usually it's due to TB but if they take the medication regiment for TB their life goes forward. They caught TB in time so their life is saved. If they didn't, well time to measure for a pine box.

The medical examination procedure consists of a physical examination, an evaluation (skin test/chest x-ray examination) for tuberculosis, and blood test for syphilis. The vaccination requirements include vaccines recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).

You been there and done that. Here is the list that will deny anyone from entering the USA.

Communicable diseases of public health significance include—

•Tuberculosis

•Syphilis

•Chancroid

•Gonorrhea

•Granuloma Inguinale

•Lymphogranuloma Venereum

•Hansen's Disease (Leprosy)

Note. HIV is no longer used to disqualify someone who is applying for a visa.

And the following two disease categories-- •Quarantinable diseases designated by any Presidential Executive Order. Current diseases include: cholera, diphtheria, infectious tuberculosis, plague, smallpox, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers, severe acute respiratory syndromes, and influenza caused by novel or re-emergent influenza (pandemic flu).

•Events that are reportable as a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) to the World Health Organization (WHO) under the International Health Regulations (IHR) of 2005 (currently polio, smallpox, SARS, influenza, and other public health emergencies of international concern.)

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/medical-examination-faqs.html#5

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

You have good intentions for her health and I commend you for that. But, at this time there is nothing she can do to ready herself. If TB is present, then they found it in time to save her life. If not, then they move on to the other health hazards. Most Filipino's pass the health exam with no problems and those that don't, usually it's due to TB but if they take the medication regiment for TB their life goes forward. They caught TB in time so their life is saved. If they didn't, well time to measure for a pine box.

The medical examination procedure consists of a physical examination, an evaluation (skin test/chest x-ray examination) for tuberculosis, and blood test for syphilis. The vaccination requirements include vaccines recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).

You been there and done that. Here is the list that will deny anyone from entering the USA.

Communicable diseases of public health significance include

Tuberculosis

Syphilis

Chancroid

Gonorrhea

Granuloma Inguinale

Lymphogranuloma Venereum

Hansen's Disease (Leprosy)

Note. HIV is no longer used to disqualify someone who is applying for a visa.

And the following two disease categories-- Quarantinable diseases designated by any Presidential Executive Order. Current diseases include: cholera, diphtheria, infectious tuberculosis, plague, smallpox, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers, severe acute respiratory syndromes, and influenza caused by novel or re-emergent influenza (pandemic flu).

Events that are reportable as a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) to the World Health Organization (WHO) under the International Health Regulations (IHR) of 2005 (currently polio, smallpox, SARS, influenza, and other public health emergencies of international concern.)

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/medical-examination-faqs.html#5

Great point.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJers,

My husband was a smoker too, didn't have any problems with SLEC.

I had "spots" on my lung back in 2009 due to slight pneumonia, passed the medical exam with flying colors.

My friend has no issues whatsoever (non-smoker too) but was subjected for sputum.

Good luck! ;)

• 3 months later...
Timeline

I am a smoker too... for 15yrs.. believe me it'd hard to stop... i am planning to have a medical next week. Will let you know the result.

By the way, we also have chest xray in our APE at work to determine if you have TB. :)

F2A Journey for me and my Daughter

November 18, 2013 - Priority Date
November 25, 2013 - NOA1
February 06, 2014 - NOA2
March 6, 2014 - IIN through call
February 20, 2015 - Access in CEAC and DS261
February 24, 2015 - Email received from NVC, AOS invoice
February 24, 2015 - Paid AOS
February 25, 2015 - AOS payment 'in process' status
February 26, 2015 - AOS payment 'paid' status
March 8, 2015 - DS 261 approved
March 11, 2015 - IV Fee Invoice Received
March 12, 2015 - IV Fee Invoice Paid
March 14, 2015 - Sent AOS/IV Docs/Package to NVC
March 16, 2015 - NVC Scan Date
March 19, 2015 - Access to DS260
March 20, 2015 - DS260 completed
April 15, 2015 - Checklist that DS260 is not yet completed - escalated to the Supervisor
May 9, 2015 - Called NVC for status, confirmed that our case is complete, waiting for the actual letter.
May 15, 2015 - Case Complete (Received letter from NVC)

June 25, 2015 - Called NVC for update of Interview (Goodnews received)

June 30, 2015 - IL received through Email

July 06-08, 2015 - Medical - Passed :)

AUGUST 06, 2015; 6:15AM - Interview Schedule (PASSED)

August 6 -9, 2015 - CEAC Status (ISSUED)

August 10, 2015 - In Transit at 2GO online tracking

August 11, 2015 - Visa Packet received

August 12, 2015 - Pre Departure Orientation and Seminar Done (this is important for Filipinos leaving our Country)

xx xx xx - POE (San Francisco, CA)

Timeline

Thanks Jhez! Yes please let me know :thumbs:

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

I130 Minor Children:

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Oh sorry, i wasnt able to update you guys... :) i am good. The nurse only smiled at me when i told her that 'arent you gonna ask me if im a smoker?' While im having my xray. Haha.... anyhow, just relax.... believe me i was drinking 2days before my medical....

F2A Journey for me and my Daughter

November 18, 2013 - Priority Date
November 25, 2013 - NOA1
February 06, 2014 - NOA2
March 6, 2014 - IIN through call
February 20, 2015 - Access in CEAC and DS261
February 24, 2015 - Email received from NVC, AOS invoice
February 24, 2015 - Paid AOS
February 25, 2015 - AOS payment 'in process' status
February 26, 2015 - AOS payment 'paid' status
March 8, 2015 - DS 261 approved
March 11, 2015 - IV Fee Invoice Received
March 12, 2015 - IV Fee Invoice Paid
March 14, 2015 - Sent AOS/IV Docs/Package to NVC
March 16, 2015 - NVC Scan Date
March 19, 2015 - Access to DS260
March 20, 2015 - DS260 completed
April 15, 2015 - Checklist that DS260 is not yet completed - escalated to the Supervisor
May 9, 2015 - Called NVC for status, confirmed that our case is complete, waiting for the actual letter.
May 15, 2015 - Case Complete (Received letter from NVC)

June 25, 2015 - Called NVC for update of Interview (Goodnews received)

June 30, 2015 - IL received through Email

July 06-08, 2015 - Medical - Passed :)

AUGUST 06, 2015; 6:15AM - Interview Schedule (PASSED)

August 6 -9, 2015 - CEAC Status (ISSUED)

August 10, 2015 - In Transit at 2GO online tracking

August 11, 2015 - Visa Packet received

August 12, 2015 - Pre Departure Orientation and Seminar Done (this is important for Filipinos leaving our Country)

xx xx xx - POE (San Francisco, CA)

Timeline

Thanks Jhez! I'm planning to have my medical on September 10 & 11. Going to consult a doctor in 2 weeks to load up on antibiotics. Xray told me I have pneumonitis/bronchitis - no, no, no! Wish us luck and HEALTH! :)

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

N400:

I130 Minor Children:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.