The Molinas

ANYBODY FROM NEW JERSEY???

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yeah if you're not in Midtown, you gotta be atleast 30 minutes away.

We were thinking of moving to Connecticut or something when we end up buying a house. Though the wife and I really are thinking about moving back to CA. Pipe dream at the moment I fear...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks guys I will keep looking...

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Filed: Timeline

I don't think I could afford to buy a house in CT suburbs of NYC... definitely a nice place to live though. Better than NJ.

Thanks guys I will keep looking...

Good luck. There are tons of condos/townhomes in Middlesex and Somerset County that were on-sale but didn't sell... many of those are available for rent now.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
I don't think I could afford to buy a house in CT suburbs of NYC... definitely a nice place to live though. Better than NJ.

A hairdresser I used to go to before I found a (cheaper & better) walk-in place near my work) told me that "NJ was expensive for no reason". Certainly its expensive considering the relative lack of benefits you get - congested, inadequate roads riddled with pot-holes, and local supermarkets in which you have to pick through the fresh produce looking for the least rotten looking items.

It's not expensive because of what NJ provides. It's expensive because of what the average resident in NJ can bear. Fact: NJ has the nations highest average household income.

And I don't seem to have problems with grocery stores. I do hear you on the roads, though.

Timeline
It's not expensive because of what NJ provides. It's expensive because of what the average resident in NJ can bear. Fact: NJ has the nations highest average household income.

And I don't seem to have problems with grocery stores. I do hear you on the roads, though.

I work in NYC, the wife does too - although she has a travelling job. She can change her "home office" location to NJ which means she doesn't have to pay New York City tax.

I need to find better ones - Shoprite and A&P aren't too bad, but a far cry from what you get in California.

Regards the roads - we've a headlamp bulb shatter from the vibration. You realise its extremely sad changing lane only to avoid a pot hole you know to be there. Add to that going through the toll booth at the NJ turnpike and having to steer around a gigantic pot hole is really the ultimate insult.

Edited by erekose

I've found that Shoprites vary widely in quality. Do your grocery shopping in a better neighborhood. Near where I am, the Pathmark sucks, the Shoprite is ok and the Wegmans kicks butt (but is expensive).

Timeline
I've found that Shoprites vary widely in quality. Do your grocery shopping in a better neighborhood. Near where I am, the Pathmark sucks, the Shoprite is ok and the Wegmans kicks butt (but is expensive).

We've found a Whole Foods (again expensive), but our local Shop & Stop stinks - partly because of the groceries, but also because of the other shoppers. They've recently put in "self check-out" counters - and I've lost count of how many times some stupid ####### in front gets confused by the machine. Really illustrates the general education standard of some of these people.

Case in point - at my local bank I recently saw a guy try to take $5.60 out of the ATM (he forgot the decimal point), and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't give him any money. He tried it 4-5 times, called his mother and yelled at her down his (speakerphone enabled) cell for "not putting the money in his account". Finally, he took his card out, muttered something about the machine being broken (which caused the two people in front of me to curse loudly and leave) and proceeded to go inside the bank and join the back of a monster queue to withdraw money over the counter. Go figure...

Speaking of Elizabeth:

ELIZABETH, NJ-This city of 125,000 people is set for a new round of redevelopment in the wake of its designation by the state, this morning, as a transit village. The New Jersey Department of Transportation’s transit village program focuses of fostering commercial and residential development around the state’s transportation hubs.

With nearly 10,000 people moving through this city’s midtown train station on a daily basis, it’s one of the state’s busiest. The transit village designation brings with it eligibility for a variety of state grants, beginning with an initial grant of $100,000 for planning purposes. Other benefits include planning assistance and a streamlined approval process. This city is the 18th to win transit village designation from the state.

“The transit village initiative enable the New Jersey DOT to invest in our quality of life by reducing congestion, increasing mass transit use and building more economically viable and pedestrian-friendly town centers,” says NJDOT commissioner Kris Kolluri.

Officials say the designation will help jumpstart redevelopment of the city’s midtown area. According to a spokesman for the department of planning and community development, general plans being drawn up include more than 700 new residential units and 70,000 sf of commercial space around the train station, which serves as a hub for both NJ Transit and Amtrak service. The spokesman also says that the city will most likely tap into the private developer community for additional ideas for the redevelopment.

A focal point will be the renovated pedestrian plaza fronting the train station. “Our vision for this location was to create a meeting place, as well as a cultural hub for residents and travelers alike,” the spokesman says, noting that the plaza includes coliseum-style seating for performing arts presentations.

“In recent years, Elizabeth has experienced a renaissance through economic development, new market-rate and affordable housing and neighborhood revitalization,” says Mayor Chris Bollwage. “The transit village designation will complement and contribute to the city’s ongoing efforts to renew its Midtown area.”

http://www.globest.com/news/840_840/newjer...-1.html?type=pf

Hey you said you're moving to Union, right? I drove by Union train station this morning and noticed a construction job going on right in front of it. Any idea what they're building?

Edited by Gupt

Timeline
Hey you said you're moving to Union, right? I drove by Union train station this morning and noticed a construction job going on right in front of it. Any idea what they're building?

Sorry - no idea.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

another online site is http://www.rent.com/

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Our apartment in Highland Park (next to New Brunswick, awesome little town) at Harper House was $1150 for about 750sq.ft., officially a 2BR but one was about the size of a closet. Just don't let them give you apartment 120-1B. You'll regret it come winter.

AFAIK the three biggest complexes in HP are pretty cheap--Harper House, Old Queens, Highland Montgomery.

If I ever have cause to move back to NJ, I will totally move heaven and earth to move back to Highland Park. I lived there four years and absolutely adored it. Everything is walking distance, there are parks, people say hello to one another, you can even walk to the train to NYC if you live at the right end of town. HP borders New Brunswick but is across the river, and the point where you can go between the two is at the downtown area, so I totally would walk there (although there certainly are parts of NB I wouldn't walk around).

In Highland Park, I and my roommate as single females used to go out for walks at 1 or 2 am by ourselves and neither of us ever had a single problem (well, she was once playing on the swings at the park and the park was officially closed and a police car stopped and told her the park was closed, but that's it).

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.