Parkers27910

DS-260 Help!!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I have maintained a less than conventional lifestyle for the last 10 years of our relationship. We met in Mexico (he is Canadian and I am American) and spent the first 8 years of our relationship traveling back and forth between Canada, Mexico, and the US. We would stay in Mexico for a few months, travel to the US (on a tourist visa for him) for a few months (staying with family), and then travel to Canada (on a tourist visa for me) for a few months (once again staying with family). We literally did this for 8 years. We would always rent different condos throughout Mexico (they were always furnished) while we were there (never stayed at the same one twice) and we literally only owned enough "things" to fit into our vehicle and in a storage tote on top. We never purchased furniture and did this literally, for 8 years.

The DS-260 is asking for all of our addresses since turning 16, but has this on the side:

Help: Previous Addresses

Previous addresses should only include those addresses at which you established a residence (for example on campus housing where you lived for an academic term at your college or university) and should not include places at which you were temporarily present (for example a hotel at which you stayed for vacation).

I'm lost. He always maintained his residence in Canada for tax purposes and I always maintained my residence in the United States (for tax purposes), but we lived together this entire time. I owned my own business which allowed me to work from home and he worked in sales in Mexico when we were there. We also had financial support from family when needed.

Would all of our little stays in Mexico and his visits with my family in the United States be considered temporary? (We wouldn't need to include those addresses?)

Lastly, would we need police certificates from Mexico if we "lived there temporarily" for a total of over 12 months (never consistently... 3-4 months one year, 3-4 months the next, etc.)?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Weird though it may sound Mexico is an oddity, Police Certificates not required.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I would use your permanent addresses only, the others were just visits and temporary stays.

And as stated, police records are not available for Mexico.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The "from age 16" is driving me nuts also. Such a PIA. Good luck.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

The "from age 16" is driving me nuts also. Such a PIA. Good luck.

I agree. I had 18 different moves in that period of time. 13 different addresses. /sigh

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I honestly think I'm up to about 25 addresses. It's been 24 years.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.