thechuunt

I-485 interview went well. But another interview requested?

10 posts in this topic

Hello:

It has been awhile since I've posted here. We had our AOS I-485 interview on January 5th. Went very straightforward. The officer said everything went well and we should recieve our GC in 30 days or so. We got a "continued for service action" sheet with the following checked:

"An adjudicative review of your case is needed. No additonal information is required from you at this time."

So okay we think. Everything is going well. Three days later, we get the same sheet back with the above box crossed out and the following checked:

"The Service has determined that there is another immigration file that must be obtained and reviewed before your case can be adjudicated."

So I wasn't sure at this point what that letter meant since this was only a few days after the appointment. Now, a month later we get another appointment letter (I-797C) telling us we have another appointment in March. Same as the one we received before but doesn't have any updates.

Has anyone had this occcur to them or has any idea what this is about?

I'm going to call them next week but it seems that they made an error at the local office and now we have to wait two months more!

Go figure.

Thanks,

TheChuunt :blush:

Filed: Other Timeline
Have you as the USC petitioner ever filed for another immigrant? Sponsored another immigrant?

Has your spouse ever been petitioned before by another USC?

No, no, and no.

I'm sure this would have come up before we had our first interview.

Thanks,

TheChuunt

Well, you asked if anybody had any idea what the second interview could be about.

I've not seen that type of reason (another file must be obtained) in any prior reports.

Typically a second interview is referred to as a "Stokes Interview" and is used to help ascertain the bonafides of the marriage.

Have you as the USC petitioner ever filed for another immigrant? Sponsored another immigrant?

Has your spouse ever been petitioned before by another USC?

No, no, and no.

I'm sure this would have come up before we had our first interview.

Thanks,

TheChuunt

Well, you asked if anybody had any idea what the second interview could be about.

I've not seen that type of reason (another file must be obtained) in any prior reports.

Typically a second interview is referred to as a "Stokes Interview" and is used to help ascertain the bonafides of the marriage.

Thank you for your information. We've been together here for close to 6 months now. We have the EAD so hopefully this isn't a big deal. What exactly does "stokes interview" mean and come from?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Thank you for your information. We've been together here for close to 6 months now. We have the EAD so hopefully this isn't a big deal. What exactly does "stokes interview" mean and come from?

Seems unlikely that it would be a stokes interview if they said they needed to review another file, but you never know. I guess it's smarter to be prepared. Read here:

http://www.murthy.com/news/UDirlove.html

• 3 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We weren't expecting to be called in for an I-485 interview--can you please tell us why they call some in for an interview and not others--we've just been notified that the reviewing officer has requested an I-485 interview.... we are confused as to why?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We weren't expecting to be called in for an I-485 interview--can you please tell us why they call some in for an interview and not others--we've just been notified that the reviewing officer has requested an I-485 interview.... we are confused as to why?

It depends on your local office. Some don't usually do interviews, some do... so the story goes. Luck of the draw really.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It depends on your local office. Some don't usually do interviews, some do... so the story goes. Luck of the draw really.

This is the email that I received from my local senators office after they inquired about the status of our greencard.....

I just spoke to the National Benefits Center who told me that TODAY the California Service Center is sending back your file to the NBC. The CSC processes 485s for K1 visa holders. But apparently the officer reviewing your case determined they could not approve the 485 based on the information received and in your file, and now an interview will be required.

Your case is in transit now to the NBC. Once there, it will then be in line to be interview ready, which then your file will be sent to Memphis USCIS (the local USCIS district office for TN) where you will complete your I-485 interview in person in Memphis, TN. Then, a final determination will be made by that officer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.