Gizzmondo

USA Cell phone number

6 posts in this topic

Hi

ca

Belated happy new year

Im currently with my fiancee in New Jersey :) Alas I fly back to England soon :(

I purchased a prepay AT&T sim card, so have an American number, practically is there a better way to retain a USA number to receive calls wermanthen Im back in blighty - also I feel if I have a number to use when I permanently move it would make me more comfortable.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can use the same number but for prepaid phones international roaming will cost you a pretty penny. I'd suggest you go to an ATT store and convert your number to a post-paid with a contract and use it worldwide as your cell phone. You can pay your bill with a credit card and you'd be set.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

You could also sign up for a google voice account with your USA number - you can have all texts and calls forwarded to that account. I'm not sure if you have to use a proxy server or not... but we were able to use google voice when skype/facetime didn't work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If cost is an issue... I use magic jack when I'm out of the country. Has a U.S. # and Works fine for me, as long as my cell phone has WiFi service. I use the app on my cell, and the mj device I can use it either on my laptop or plug a cordless phone up to it, but again you need internet service/WiFi.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Rebtel if you want to call a landline or someone who doesn't have a smartphone (pennies per minute to talk most places around the globe); otherwise, use a free VOIP app like Viber, Tango, Google Talk, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.