sccrsurfer

K1 about to expire, haven't sent AOS yet!?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Here is the story in brief:<br><br>

K1 Issued: August 6, 2014

Fiancee Entered USA: October 17, 2014

Marriage Date: October 25, 2014 (Los Angeles)

Official Marriage Certificates Received: December 28, 2014

K1 Expiration: January 10, 2015<br><br>

Why is the above worrying.......We haven't filed our AOS yet!! We didn't file it because we literally just received the official marriage certificates from the Los Angeles County office. It takes 8 weeks! <br><br>

We were really excited to finally have the official marriage certificates and mail in our AOS. I looked at her K1 Visa to take note of her A# and noticed we are only a few days away from the K1 expiration date. <br><br>

We got married within 90 days of her entering the United States, and did everything we could paperwork-wise as soon as we got any types of notification, etc... <br><br>

Can someone tell me if this is something I should worry about? We got married within 90 days of her entering the country, and are now filing for the AOS as soon as we could have, as I understand you need the official certified copy of the marriage certificate. Does her being in the country after the K1 expires present problems if her AOS isnt being processed yet? <br><br>

I'm a little worried. Obviously I will get the ball rolling asap, but want to know if this is a big deal or not.

No, the visa expired when she entered the country, thats over, You got married within 90 days so that fine too. Sounds good to me, file the AOS stuff and then wait.....

Here is the story in brief:<br><br>

K1 Issued: August 6, 2014

Fiancee Entered USA: October 17, 2014

Marriage Date: October 25, 2014 (Los Angeles)

Official Marriage Certificates Received: December 28, 2014

K1 Expiration: January 10, 2015<br><br>

Why is the above worrying.......We haven't filed our AOS yet!! We didn't file it because we literally just received the official marriage certificates from the Los Angeles County office. It takes 8 weeks! <br><br>

We were really excited to finally have the official marriage certificates and mail in our AOS. I looked at her K1 Visa to take note of her A# and noticed we are only a few days away from the K1 expiration date. <br><br>

We got married within 90 days of her entering the United States, and did everything we could paperwork-wise as soon as we got any types of notification, etc... <br><br>

Can someone tell me if this is something I should worry about? We got married within 90 days of her entering the country, and are now filing for the AOS as soon as we could have, as I understand you need the official certified copy of the marriage certificate. Does her being in the country after the K1 expires present problems if her AOS isnt being processed yet? <br><br>

I'm a little worried. Obviously I will get the ball rolling asap, but want to know if this is a big deal or not.

Nothing to worry about at all.

The K-1 visa actually expired on Oct 17...the date of your POE. The defining document is the I-94, which you say expires Jan 14. It doesn't really matter though as you married within the 90 days. You can adjust status when ever you are ready. Some people have waited months after their I-94 expired to file AOS and they were just fine.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

You are, as others have said, perfectly fine. I have read many reports here where people have waited years to file AOS after marrying within 90 days on the k-1 visa. TECHNICALLY you are out of status once the I-94 expires, but those days are forgiven upon filing the AOS (married to USC--someone correct me if there are other conditions that apply to this "forgiveness"). There is a slight chance of being hassled during the out of status period, especially in neighborhoods by a border, but this is rare. You will acquire a new "status" once your AOS is received. I forget what they call it, but it not legal permanent resident status--it is more of a "permission to stay until your case is complete" status. Don't forget to file for the EAD/AP card at the same time as AOS. The fees for those permits (work and travel) are waived when filed with AOS. The green card could take up to a year depending on your local office, but the EAD/AP card "should" be processed in about 90 days. Good luck!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is no time limit/deadline in which to file for AOS. As long as you married within 90 days then you are eligible to file based on your approved I-129F petition and fulling the requirements of the K-1 visa. However, you will be out of status and begin to accrue unlawful presence between your I-94 expiring and filing for AOS. Once you file for AOS, you then enter a period of authorized stay while waiting for your green card approval.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.