blamu2

I want my sister and cousin to visit me in the US for the summer. Do I fill I-134 ?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've seen conflicting information when searching through google. So a couple facts about me before I ask the question.

1. I'm a green card holder

2. I have a great job and I live in California.

3. My sister and her cousin have not finished high school yet. They are 16

4. They want to just visit for one month of summer. After that they are going back to school.

5. My parents back home make pretty decent money (although not nearly as much as me) and its not a third world country.

So how do I approach this? Do I fill I-134 and send it to her so she could bring it to interview? Is this even a thing anymore or will it just hurt because it will seem weird? On the other hand I will really be the one paying for the ticket and anything she needs while here plus shes underage.

If I have to submit the I-134 do i need to submit two because there are two of them?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've seen conflicting information when searching through google. So a couple facts about me before I ask the question.

4. They want to just visit for one month of summer. After that they are going back to school.

5. My parents back home make pretty decent money (although not nearly as much as me) and its not a third world country.

So how do I approach this? Do I fill I-134 and send it to her so she could bring it to interview? Is this even a thing anymore or will it just hurt because it will seem weird? On the other hand I will really be the one paying for the ticket and anything she needs while here plus shes underage.

If I have to submit the I-134 do i need to submit two because there are two of them?

It sounds like you want them to pursue a B1/B2? (Visitors Visa)

If that's the case, check out the "Guides" at the top as it explains that process better.

Good luck.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

They need to apply for a tourist visa, based on their parents' own resources. At this age, if their family is well to do and they are in school, it shouldn't be a problem. It all will depend on the their parents' income really. It is a regular tourist visa process - your sister will need to present your parents' income and your cousin his/hers. You parents can't be the financial sponsors for your cousin. Each applicant must present proof and qualify on his/her own.

There is nothing you can or need do, however, they can and should disclose they are staying with you during their visit to Cali - they will be asked about accommodation and their address in the US.

Good luck!

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Well you have to agree that this http://www.visajourney.com/content/visitor-visa-guide doesn't answer any of my questions

It does if they'll try to obtain a B1/B2 Visitor visa.

An I-134 has nothing to do with obtaining a B1/B2...which is why I inquired what visa was being sought.

Timeline

Thanks for your replies. So what's up with all these articles online about sponsoring visitor visa and stuff. Also how do people from america bring their relatives to visit from very poor countries?

The process to apply for a B1/B2 is pretty straight forward. Go to the US Embassy website in the country your family resides and check there for any additional or country specific requirements.

Good luck to you and them.

Yeah its only straightforward if you apply by yourself just to visit. It never mentions the possibility of somebody else paying for you. Seems like that would happen a lot. So many people in america bring their poor parents to visit form India or somewhere. Definitely a lot of parents would not be able to have enough income specially when retired.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your replies. So what's up with all these articles online about sponsoring visitor visa and stuff. Also how do people from america bring their relatives to visit from very poor countries?

They don't

Most tourist visas are declined at interview.

They just fly home to see parents and relatives and friends...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They just apply like everybody else does.

Not rocket science.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

One condition for visitor visa is that you can pay for your trip. You pay it and they are teenagers, it is most likely denial.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

They don't. That is one of the reasons that most of the people here on VJ get upset when someone from a VWP country or other coutnry where a visa is readily available to most people visit on a tourist visa and then decide to get married and file the adjustment of status (AOS). Most people from second and third world countries do not get to visit the US. Their relatives most likely will be denied a tourist visa. I hold my breathe every time one of my wife's realtives goes for a tourist visa to visit the US. It is a $165 gamble whether they will be approved or not. My BIL has a family of four. That becomes a $660 gamble and the chances of all of them getting a tourist visa at the same time is slim. So the kids will have to wait to see the US for a while. It is not fair, but that is the reality of the situation.

The main thing to remember is that the IO at the Embassy is assuming that the person in front of then requesting a tourist visa is going to enter the US and remain there. It is tourist's responsibility to show and convience the IO that they will return to their life in their home country.

I hope they are granted tourist visas to visit you,

Dave

They don't. That is one of the reasons that most of the people here on VJ get upset when someone from a VWP country or other coutnry where a visa is readily available to most people visit on a tourist visa and then decide to get married and file the adjustment of status (AOS). Most people from second and third world countries do not get to visit the US. Their relatives most likely will be denied a tourist visa. I hold my breathe every time one of my wife's realtives goes for a tourist visa to visit the US. It is a $165 gamble whether they will be approved or not. My BIL has a family of four. That becomes a $660 gamble and the chances of all of them getting a tourist visa at the same time is slim. So the kids will have to wait to see the US for a while. It is not fair, but that is the reality of the situation.

The main thing to remember is that the IO at the Embassy is assuming that the person in front of then requesting a tourist visa is going to enter the US and remain there. It is tourist's responsibility to show and convience the IO that they will return to their life in their home country.

I hope they are granted tourist visas to visit you,

Dave

Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea it is like that. I'm 99% sure my family wont have a problem. However my wife is vietnamese and she was thinking of getting her grandma to visit but I guess that won't work.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea it is like that. I'm 99% sure my family wont have a problem. However my wife is vietnamese and she was thinking of getting her grandma to visit but I guess that won't work.

Old people tend to have a better chance.

Roll the bones and let her apply and see what happens

You will not know unless you try. The cost of admission is the tourist visa fee which is usually $165. You have better odds than winning the lottery. Just realize that the visa may be denied, but have her Grandmother go into the interview prepared.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.