mirrortraveler

Medical in Frankfurt: Should I have said more?

12 posts in this topic

Hey everybody,

So good news: Both my medical and my consular interview are done. Both went really well! :)

There are just a few little things I'm worried about: I did my medical two days before my interview. That was cutting it a bit close I guess but the designated doctor assured me that, while my medical results would arrive at the consulate a bit after the interview, that was no reason for concern. The consular officer said the same thing but was still obligated to hand me a paper reading that my visa application was "rejected" as the medical results had not been received. He said that just meant that they would be waiting for the results and send me my visa papers right away once they were in. He also mentioned that everything else was in order.

There are a few other concerns I have thinking back on the medical, but I'm not sure if they're relevant: Since I have never been operated on, I failed to enter the date of my last hospital visit (2012) or any hospital visit for that matter. I've maybe been hospitalized twice in my life: The first time it was for a stomach thing that turned out to be nothing. The second time, it was worse - I had an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, and was diagnosed with an ulcer. They gave me pills for it and it went away on its own. I probably should have mentioned this but I actually can't remember if the form was asking for regular hospital visits or just operations. And even though it only happened in early 2012, I've been blocking it from my mind instinctively since it was such an unpleasant experience.

I guess my question is: Can they find out about that and that I didn't tell them? Would that affect my visa?

My immune system also hasn't been the best for several years now. I've had various smaller ailments and I hope nothing too serious cropped up. It's only been two days since the interview and at the medical, the doctor said that everything seemed to be fine and in order.

Can they see if things are okay right away? Does anyone know what exactly is tested for in those blood tests? I know that my immune weakness brought out a minor, non-harmful case of HPV, but my local OBGYN said that wasn't a serious health concern as it's not a dangerous strain and it would go away as I'm rebuilding my immune system.

I also had to do an antibodies test for MMR prior to the medical which showed that I am not immune to Mumps anymore, but the consular doctor told me that I didn't need the vaccine just yet and that I could wait to get it later in the US or before I leave the country.

Anyways, if anyone could help alleviate my worries, that would be great!

Thanks a bunch, you guys! :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

None of these things are type A conditions, the ones that get you excluded from entering the United States.

The other possible concern is did you make a false statement? If you said "none" in response to questions of whether you were hospitalized, possible problem there.

But if they do not ask, you have no responsibility to volunteer.

You don't have to volunteer that which is not asked. You only have to answer truthfully that which is asked.

This is going to sound so stupid but it was very early in the morning and I had barely slept the night before. I don't remember if there even was a question about being hospitalized (and I assume the questionnaires are all a bit different in the different countries and areas) or, if there was one, what kind of time frame it talked about. If the question was something like "were you hospitalized within the past 6 months" or "were you hospitalized within the past year", then I wasn't. It was in early 2012.

Normally, I would have never overlooked this and I did walk out of the medical confident that I had done everything right. So maybe I did - maybe I didn't. Does anyone remember the questions on the questionnaire in Frankfurt?

I've only ever seen the UK questionnaire online and it looks nothing like the current German one. At least that much I remember.

Timeline

You should have been honest about the HPV question where you have to check a box on the back of the questionnaire as they can technically see if you have antibodies in your blood. It's not a reason preventing you to enter the US though.

I definitely remember one question being about previous surgeries, not so sure about hospitalizations anymore, but there was one question about treatments in institutions, which could refer to a hospital, sanatorium, rehab center, etc. But having an ulcer is such a common thing nowadays. It won't cause any problems either. Just be honest next time.

Will do! :) Thank you so much! That really takes a huge weight of my shoulders. I didn't mean to say anything that was untrue. I am pretty sure that I don't have the HPV anymore (my OBGYN couldn't detect anything last time I saw her) but if the antibodies are still in my blood, that would show it.

I am sure the reason I did not check anything with 'yes' was because I was convinced that they'd asked about whether I had anything 'at the moment' as opposed to 'ever'. And to the best of my knowledge (as I believe the form stated) I don't have anything worrysome at this point in time.

I'm just glad to know that this won't cost me my visa. I'd been in a state of panic all day. I normally cross all my t's and dot all my i's when it comes to immigration so I would have kicked myself forever if it all ended up hinging on something like this.

Thank you again, StrawberryKiss! You're always so very helpful! :)

Filed: Timeline

They lokk for TB, syphilis, herpes,HIV

none which prevent U from approval meds

would be required, they don't go searching

for antibodies of past illness,if one has

Parkingson , alzhiemers last stage cancer,

mental illness it willprevent U...there are

some illness thatthe petitioner would be

required to get a longterm health ins B4

visa issuance.

If no drugs in your system or major communicable

disease is found no need to worry

Edited by Jawaree

My worry was about possibly failing to disclose all the details/misunderstanding the question and not telling them everything.

I was wondering to what degree that could be held against me.

Timeline

Well, if the HPV didn't even show up when you saw your OBGYN last time, don't worry about it. I was just mentioning the antibody testing in terms of verifying someone's honesty because it said "past and current medical history" on the back of the sheet. But really, no need to worry! I forgot to tell them that I take antihistamine for my allergies whenever I need it, but it didn't matter. If there was something really wrong with your blood test results, the doctor also would have given you a call by now. And I don't see how they would know if you ever had an ulcer or HPV.

Concerning your appointment, you just cut it a little bit short and that's it ;) You'll have your visa soon. Just keep checking your visa status on CEAC. When you see that it says AP or your status update date changed, it's very likely that the consulate received your results, is going through them and will be issuing your visa soon.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey there!

I've been pretty much through the same procedure. I'm sure we had the same panel physician, too.

Relax, you are overthinking :)

Around 6 months after my appointment, after I was already a permanent resident - I requested my documents from the panel physician because I wanted to show my recruiter that I was perfectly healthy and I was shocked what they make us pay so much money for! I simply requested my files via Email (quick turnaround - I had my files in 2 days) and all they did was a simple blood test: Testing only like 3 things. I

saw that they did not even test me on Hep C, B, and HIV... the boxes were checked as NOT TESTED.

X-Ray said no abnormalities.

TPHA - tested negative.

Physical examination: without pathological findings.

Medical history: No significant illness

Remarks: none

This is literally all they check :) So don't worry pal! The other document is a list of vaccinations that you had/had not done. The list above is what yours will show too. Thats all the embassy will get. If you are curious and can't wait, go ahead and call them (or email them, if you don't mind waiting) and ask for your medical documents. You will know what exactly was done and/or sent to the embassy. Thats all... two documents. Your vaccine list and your medical exam. For the next time (if there is one) I encourage you to provide proper documentation of your medical history, so you can remain calm and not stress out about anything :dancing: Though I understand you forgot the dates, could happen to anyone :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, I'd be glad to help!

(L) Married 03/18/14 (L)

AOS

AOS filed: 04/04/14

Files received: 04/09/14

NOA1: 04/15/14

Biometrics letter: 04/18/14

Biometrics completed: 05/13/14

EAD shipped: 06/19/14

Potential interview waiver: 07/11/14

Unsuccessful Infopass: 08/11/14

Third expedite request approved: 08/26/14

GC in production: 08/26/14

GC received: 03/09/14

Enlistment oath for the US ARMY 28/10/14

So many people have HPV and don't know it that finding antibodies in your blood wouldn't be a big deal at all.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.