b.healed

refused entry on visa waiver, entry waiver needed?

5 posts in this topic

Hello

I will attempt to keep this as short as possible.

Via an unfortunate misunderstanding, my wife (who was not my wife at the time) was refused in entry in Feb 2010. She attempted to enter on a the visa waiver to visit some friends. While at passport control, she asked if she was allowed to change her visa while in the states. Her reasoning for that was because she had some friends who wanted to start a non-profit organization and she thought it might be nice to help with the organization. it was not her intention to do so as she was going to the states, but she thought it would be good to ask. After several hours of questioning, the border patrol determined that her motive for entering the states was to work. Unfortunately they did miss the mark on this one (I realize they are just doing their job and sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong...just the way life can be sometimes).

As a result, I am now living in Germany to be with her as we got married in May 2011 in Germany.

In an attempt to get her approved for a visa to live in the States, I am curious to know if she is in need of a waiver to be able to enter. She was not deported or officially removed. She was simply denied entry. She lost her visa waiver privilege and was told that the only thing she needs to do in order to enter the states is simply go to the consulate and get a visitors visa or whatever visa she decides she needs in the future. She has tried to acquire a visitor visa from the consulate in London and in Berlin and both times she was denied (before we were married). Both times she had all of the supporting documents demonstrating that she had everything in place that the government required.

Is this enough information to determine if we should be filing a waiver? It seems to be that we should not need to as she was not deported or officially removed from the states and based on the what the border patrol originally told her, she is not "inadmissable".

So if anybody has any thoughts on this, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for everything!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No issue, is she was allowed to withdraw her application for entry.

Why was she denied subsequent Visitor Visas?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...

They will let her know at consular interview if one is needed likely not

but one never knows, unless you ask a waiver atty

Thank you all for your help

Jawaree, so I will continue with the process as planned and if they request at the interview then I will start filling a waiver out.

Thank you all again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.