Guam PHL

What can be used as Proof of an engagement?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance will be applying for a K1 Visa and we understand that she has to provide proof of our engagement to the consular officer. What can she use as proof of engagement? My fiance already has her engagement ring from me, can she use the engagement ring as proof and is the ring sufficient enough for proof of our engagement?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Photos of engagement if you have. engagement party, the engagement ring is proof enough in my opinion. Fortunately, when i proposed I hired photographers to secretly take photos of the time I popped the question.

I-129F Sent : 2014-07-31

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-08-09

I-129F RFE(s) : 2014-10-8

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-28

Interview: 2014-12-23 Approved!

Timeline

Photos of engagement if you have. engagement party, the engagement ring is proof enough in my opinion. Fortunately, when i proposed I hired photographers to secretly take photos of the time I popped the question.

I agree.

And the receipt..:)

Edited by brynz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance will be applying for a K1 Visa and we understand that she has to provide proof of our engagement to the consular officer. What can she use as proof of engagement? My fiance already has her engagement ring from me, can she use the engagement ring as proof and is the ring sufficient enough for proof of our engagement?

Your understanding is wrong.

Letter of Intent to marry is what the CO and USCIS wants to see

Timeline

We plan on using the jeweler receipt and picture of fiancée wearing her ring, which were both included as part of our original I-129 application. And of course she'll wear the ring when we go to her January interview as well as we are taking current letters of intent to marry.

Edited by luckytwo15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hello,

You must have the engegement photographs as a proof of your engagement ceremony.

No- IF you had a ceremony,and it DOES NOT look like a wedding, photos are good, but they are not necessary.

Correct. You can be engaged without a party or a ring- what they want is your "intent to marry" letter.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

No- IF you had a ceremony,and it DOES NOT look like a wedding, photos are good, but they are not necessary.

Correct. You can be engaged without a party or a ring- what they want is your "intent to marry" letter.

I understand the MUST required docs.BTW going back to the question read between the lines pls:) Sorry peace :) Edited by brynz

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks for your response

I agree.

And the receipt.. :)

thanks for responding

noted

thanks for responding :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

What the embassy is looking for is proof of a genuine relationship (no fraud). Pictures of you two together, chat log, emails, letters. etc. Some still include letters of intent to marry in 90 days (same as USCIS letter).

If you have a receipt for the engagement ring include it.... otherwise don't worry about it.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/packets/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_updated%2010%20SEP%202014_.pdf

h. EVIDENCE OF A GENUINE ENGAGEMENT. You must be prepared to prove to the consular officer
that you have a genuine relationship with your petitioner and a clear intention to marry within 90 days of
admission into the U.S. In the past, successful applicants have submitted photographs, letters, e-mails,
phone records, bank records, and remittance records as evidence supporting their relationships and intent to
marry.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

When they ask for proof of engagement, they are really asking for your proof of bonafide relationship. Because if you prove you have a bonafide relationship, it is believable you have true intentions to get married.

The "proof" you need to fulfill this part of the instructions is simple: photos, chat logs, emails, phone records, etc....the different evidences you have which proves you have a strong relationship. As far as the "engagement" part, you do not need a letter of intent, engagement rings, or anything of that nature.

When my wife had her interview, all the CO asked to see was some pictures of us together. That was our "proof of engagement".

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Guam PHL, on 19 Dec 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:Guam PHL, on 19 Dec 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

The ring is symbolic to you and her of your love for each other, but the CO will require a number of other things to support an ongoing relationship.

1. For the interview and filing of the I-129 you will need to show/include a letter of intent. Most times, the CO will not ask for the letter at the time of the interview but others have brought along just the same. Your choice but it is required for the I-129 filing.
  2. They will be looking for pictures of your visit. You only need about 10 - 15 pictures showing you together. It's been suggested they include you together in "loving poses" (like holding hands or arms around each other smiling as suggested poses). Also, pictures at a family gather showing that you have met the family goes a long ways in showing your relationship.
  3. You'll need to provide airline tickets, hotel receipts, restaurant receipts and if you have visited any attractions receipts from there also can be included.
  4. Phone bills
  5. Chat logs
Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is what we used, and it worked fine: (She had no ring to show.)

1. Chat logs from Skype and Yahoo, emails, and telephone bills showing calls made. (just a sample, about 50 pages worth, as we had well over 1000 pages).

2. Photos of us together.

3. Photos from the engagement party her parents threw for us.

4. Airline boarding passes.

5. Credit card receipts from restaurants.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.