hj630

I864: does the sponsor has to be a household member?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm the applicant and my wife is the U.S. citizen. We want to include my mother in law to sponsor us but she doesn't live with us. Can we still use her as out sponsor?

I notice USCIS says the sponsor has to be a household member but I don't know if I understand it correctly because I see lots of people using their parents as sponsor even if they don't live with them.

If I can use my mother in law, do I need to resubmit i864 or i864a?

Your input is much appreciated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, read the instructions of the i864

the i864A is for household members

a joint sponsor can be any LPR or USC that qualifies

the joint sponsor for my petition was a friend

the petitioner files an i864 and the joint sponsor files another i864

Your wife has to be your sponsor. You mother in law will be your co-sponsor then, she doesn't have to live in the same house.

12-10-2013 K1 Visa Approved
01-15-2014 POE
01-23-2014 Wedding
02-07-2014 Filed AOS, EAD and AP
02-12-2014 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP
02-20-2014 Biometrics Appt. Letter for 03/07/2014
03-07-2014 Biometrics Appt. Successfully done
04-14-2014 EAD Card production
04-15-2014 AP approved. Notice sent.
04-17-2014 EAD Card was mailed
04-17-2014 (one hour later) USPS picked up card
04-22-2014 EAD Card/AP documents in hand!
06-05-2014 Notice of potential interview waiver received.
11-24-2014 GC Update: Card/Document production
12-01-2014 I-797 Notice of Action/Welcome Letter Received!
12-03-2014 GC received!!!

08/29/2016 Filed Remove of Conditional status
08/31/2016 Received NOA for ROC

02/23/2018 Lifting conditions approved. Card being ordered

03/02/2018 GC received.

Local Office: Milwaukee, WI

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm the applicant and my wife is the U.S. citizen. We want to include my mother in law to sponsor us but she doesn't live with us. Can we still use her as out sponsor?

I notice USCIS says the sponsor has to be a household member but I don't know if I understand it correctly because I see lots of people using their parents as sponsor even if they don't live with them.

If I can use my mother in law, do I need to resubmit i864 or i864a?

Your input is much appreciated

The mother would be a joint sponsor, not a household member. She would need to meet the requirement for her own household size plus you, then immigrant. If she meets the requirement, then she fills out her own separate I-864, provides her supporting documents plus proof of being a USC or LPR.

Your wife still fill out her own I-864 too, as the USC petitioner is always the primary sponsor and must submit an I-864.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.