mike101

Was Your Tourist (B1/B2) Visa Approved?

Was Your Tourist (B1/B2) Visa Approved?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Was Your Tourist (B1/B2) Visa Approved?

• Yes
    • No

101 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Approved for B1/B2 visa in August 2012. Observing the interviews done on that day, a lot got rejected because couldn't prove enough ties to come back to home country, limited savings and assets, previous countries traveled. Again, this was based on my experience on the day of interview. Some CO were nice and didn't really fuss and some were very strict like you owe em something ? At that time I also had I-129F pending when I was approved.

And I did come back to Indonesia after visiting!

Edited by blooms

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Approved for B1/B2 visa in August 2012. Observing the interviews done on that day, a lot got rejected because couldn't prove enough ties to come back to home country, limited savings and assets, previous countries traveled. Again, this was based on my experience on the day of interview. Some CO were nice and didn't really fuss and some were very strict like you owe em something ? At that time I also had I-129F pending when I was approved.

And I did come back to Indonesia after visiting!

I have my i130 pending.. but I came back also... :)

And I intent to come back everytime I visit my husband until the process is completed. It really bothers me the misuse and abuse that people do of privileges such as B2.

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Gosh, the lady from the Philippines that got a tourist visa, is well, very rare from that country. I spent 2 years there getting my wife here from Cebu, and IT WAS so worth it.

But we looked at a tourist and work visa, and my wife (now) highly educated, job experienced, and saw it as a 1 in 100 chance, so we proceeded with the K-1. Glad we did, great marriage, great wife!

In certain countries, work/tourist visa's are ridiculously hard to get. Way to hard, reduce the time to 3 months, and use more enforcement, IF the visitor does not leave on time, more enforcement, shorter times, and MORE enforcement, would improve the system.,.,.,,.,just an opinion.,.maybe wrong maybe somewhat right!

They won't do it. They make too much money off of these denials. What people need to do is stop giving them their money. The sad thing is that most people who are denied aren't given a fair chance to apply. If the CO is in a nasty mood he will deny you just because and no one can question the decision. I see people get approved with very little ties frequently. So in my opinion the process isn't even fair, it's mostly based on luck.

As a US Citizen the government needs to be more transparent with the process. If "no visas are available" for single women, poor people, etc they need to say it rather than have people pay the $160 fee to apply knowing they have no chance of getting approved.

People who fall into "rejectable" status based on their application should be rejected right away before they even pay the fee and waste their time and money.

Totally agree with you too. It doesn't matter if that is a legal route, it shouldn't be one in the first place. This places a tremendously negative burden on people with immediate relatives in the US because often times they are denied because of the assumption that they will stay and adjust.

My aunt was approved with her son being a conditional LPR and my dad an LPR. Somehow I can't help feeling that if either of them had been a USC she may have been denied.

They also need to require what they do in some countries that they require you to register with the local police or even with USCIS if necessary. I for one am tired of those who abuse the system then get rewarded and people like us get penalized for playing by the rules, such as when we were denied the K1 and then the lengthy process we had to go afterwards.

I knew how that was. It was really smack on the face since many B-2 visas were approved easily. My friend's mother applied to visit her (her daughter is married to US citizen) 3 times and got rejected for different reasons. I had once interviewed the then-US ambassador for Indonesia, Scot Marciel. I complained how bad the system was. If the US government wanted people visit the country more, they have to stop people use visas for different purposes. If someone got married under B-2 visa, they should not allowed to adjust of their status.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This isn't what makes it difficult for people from high fraud countries to obtain a tourist visa. There is a perfectly legal route to take for this process. It's the people that come here and do not get married and do not adjust status, work illegally and take jobs away from American citizens that cause the problems.

I disagree, there's a perfectly legal route for people who get married on the spur of the moment without any prior planning or intentions.

It would be impossible to accurately get any figures but I'd love to know how many people truly do get married and adjust with absolutely no intention to do so when they entered. Or parents of USCs, or children.

As long as the system allows itself to be abused then it WILL be abused.

If the ability to adjust status was taken away, and more stringent punishments for anyone who abuses their visas then the presumption of immigrant intent can be lessened.

I overstayed my VWP, I had no idea at the time how stupid that was but I do now. But if I'd married my now ex while I was there then I would have been forgiven and there'd have been no consequences at all?

Instead I came home and got my 10 year ban.

Adjusting status in country should stop.

Forgiveness for overstays and illegal working should stop.

Amnesties for illegal immigrants should stop.

Then more people from all over the world would be able to visit if the US locked down on the possibilities for tourist visas being used to immigrate.

There would still be illegal immigration, there always will, but there wouldn't be such a clear path to follow as there is now.

People around the world know that if they can get to the US as a visitor then they don't need to go through the long wait of getting the correct visa.

Unfortunately I'd imagine that the economy of the US relies far too heavily on the cheap labour provided by an 'underground' workforce to ever do anything serious about tackling the problem.

And in the meantime thousands of us keep handing over our $160 in the hope of getting lucky.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

I disagree, there's a perfectly legal route for people who get married on the spur of the moment without any prior planning or intentions.

It would be impossible to accurately get any figures but I'd love to know how many people truly do get married and adjust with absolutely no intention to do so when they entered. Or parents of USCs, or children.

As long as the system allows itself to be abused then it WILL be abused.

If the ability to adjust status was taken away, and more stringent punishments for anyone who abuses their visas then the presumption of immigrant intent can be lessened.

I overstayed my VWP, I had no idea at the time how stupid that was but I do now. But if I'd married my now ex while I was there then I would have been forgiven and there'd have been no consequences at all?

Instead I came home and got my 10 year ban.

Adjusting status in country should stop.

Forgiveness for overstays and illegal working should stop.

Amnesties for illegal immigrants should stop.

Then more people from all over the world would be able to visit if the US locked down on the possibilities for tourist visas being used to immigrate.

There would still be illegal immigration, there always will, but there wouldn't be such a clear path to follow as there is now.

People around the world know that if they can get to the US as a visitor then they don't need to go through the long wait of getting the correct visa.

Unfortunately I'd imagine that the economy of the US relies far too heavily on the cheap labour provided by an 'underground' workforce to ever do anything serious about tackling the problem.

And in the meantime thousands of us keep handing over our $160 in the hope of getting lucky.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with in your first sentence, but you've said basically everything I did. There is a perfectly legal process to adjust status once in the states and marrying a USC.

What more stringent punishments are you going to put on people other than what is in place right now? If someone overstays they are subject to deportation and a ban. What more do you suggest? Perhaps you could suggest we actually enforce these laws, but that costs a lot of money and manpower. And if people come here with no intention of leaving knowing the possible consequences of deportation and a ban before entering, then there really is nothing more you can do other than imprison them, again that costs money and manpower. Making laws that will not allow anyone to adjust their status from inside the states will not prevent these people from staying here illegally, because they had no intention of doing things legally to begin with. These are the people that affect future tourist visa applications.

Immigration laws are not fair, there is no doubt about it, but blaming the folks who come here, marry a USC and legally adjust their status as the cause for other folks being denied a tourist visa simply is not the case. Whether or not a person has intent to immigrate is decided when a person is either allowed or denied entry at POE. If a person is allowed entry, then they have satisfied the POE officer of their intent. There are perfectly legal routes for that person to take in order to adjust their status and become a permanent resident. This legal process in no way affects the approval or denial of any one elses tourist visa application.

I applied for B-2 visa and put " going to visit my boyfriend". I got refusal and she wrote down " File for I-129F". Does it set an alarm why they wanted my then-fiance (my now husband) file for I-129F?. They wanted us to file I-129F because they "seem worried" I was going to married him under B-2 visa. That's why she wrote down "file for I-129F".

For whatever reason you did not satisfy the POE officer that you would leave at the end of your allotted stay.

As a US Citizen the government needs to be more transparent with the process. If "no visas are available" for single women, poor people, etc they need to say it rather than have people pay the $160 fee to apply knowing they have no chance of getting approved.

People who fall into "rejectable" status based on their application should be rejected right away before they even pay the fee and waste their time and money.

I agree with you that giving false hope to people and taking their money for the visa application knowing full well that they will more than likely be denied is wrong and this part of the process should be changed. Maybe have a minimal fee of upfront money like a $50 processing fee and then if the applicant is approved they can be assessed an entry fee of $100? Charging no money at all would cause a flood of applications and there simply isn't enough manpower to handle them.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with in your first sentence, but you've said basically everything I did. There is a perfectly legal process to adjust status once in the states and marrying a USC.

What more stringent punishments are you going to put on people other than what is in place right now? If someone overstays they are subject to deportation and a ban. What more do you suggest? Perhaps you could suggest we actually enforce these laws, but that costs a lot of money and manpower. And if people come here with no intention of leaving knowing the possible consequences of deportation and a ban before entering, then there really is nothing more you can do other than imprison them, again that costs money and manpower. Making laws that will not allow anyone to adjust their status from inside the states will not prevent these people from staying here illegally, because they had no intention of doing things legally to begin with. These are the people that affect future tourist visa applications.

Immigration laws are not fair, there is no doubt about it, but blaming the folks who come here, marry a USC and legally adjust their status as the cause for other folks being denied a tourist visa simply is not the case. Whether or not a person has intent to immigrate is decided when a person is either allowed or denied entry at POE. If a person is allowed entry, then they have satisfied the POE officer of their intent. There are perfectly legal routes for that person to take in order to adjust their status and become a permanent resident. This legal process in no way affects the approval or denial of any one elses tourist visa application.

What I'm disagreeing is your assertion that people adjusting status has no impact on B2 approvals.

What do I mean about more stringency?

What I suggest is that there should be no path to adjust status from a tourist visa.

If you marry on the spur of the moment? Congratulations and off you go home to apply for a spousal visa.

Overstays should not be given a free pass by marriage.

If you receive a ban then you have to complete it.

Illegals should be deported immediately.

Nothing will ever stop people who are determined to enter and stay illegally, just look at the camps full of people in Calais trying to sneak on to trucks into the UK.

Those people don't care about visas or laws, but they'll have to spend their lives always looking over their shoulders and living below the radar.

But as long as the US provides a way for people to bypass the immigration system then they will.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Timeline

I was denied last august 16,2012 in manila US embassy.. we flew all the way from Davao city to manila just to have interview and then denied ..pay 2 round trip ticket, hotel etc. then came to nothing..it's a headache.!! it's a big money making business..it's like playing card..you don't really know you will win or lost.. :(:unsure:

What I'm disagreeing is your assertion that people adjusting status has no impact on B2 approvals.

What I suggest is that there should be no path to adjust status from a tourist visa.

If you marry on the spur of the moment? Congratulations and off you go home to apply for a spousal visa.

Nothing will ever stop people who are determined to enter and stay illegally, just look at the camps full of people in Calais trying to sneak on to trucks into the UK.

Those people don't care about visas or laws, but they'll have to spend their lives always looking over their shoulders and living below the radar.

But as long as the US provides a way for people to bypass the immigration system then they will.

None of what you suggested will prevent the people who are willing and intent on staying here illegally from doing so. Those are the folks who "bypass the immigration system", not the people who legally adjust their status once here. The only thing that you suggested will do is prevent people from taking the legal course of immigrating that is allowed by law. Eliminating adjustment of status from a tourist visa will not stop the law breakers. People who legally adjust from a tourist visa are not the problem in regards to satisfying immigrant intent at POE. People who never intend to adjust their status or go home are the problem. There is a reason why certain countries and certain people are denied visas, it's because they have shown a pattern of coming here and living here illegally.

Most everyone I see on this board that complains about people who adjust from a tourist visa have a chip on their shoulder with the immigration system for one reason or another. They were either denied entry or feel slighted because they had to wait for what they consider to be too long for their visa to be approved while others are approved ahead of them. It's the same for folks who have had to wait 18 months or so recently for their marriage visas to be approved as opposed to 5 or 6 months for a K-1. What I would suggest is that every immigrant visa application including adjustment of status from inside the states from a tourist visa all get put in the same line so that they all have the same wait times. This will take away any so called "time advantage" or "bypassing of the system" away from everyone and level the playing field in that regard.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I know of someone that had no job and no money in her bank account, yet she was approved whereas my fiance had both and was denied.

The system is so damn stupid. I have no respect for the consular officals. None.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I know of someone that had no job and no money in her bank account, yet she was approved whereas my fiance had both and was denied.

The system is so damn stupid. I have no respect for the consular officals. None.

But does she have ties to the USA?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

But does she have ties to the USA?

The other person that was approved has a sister that is living illegally in the States, not to mention her fathers year ago went illegally including an aunt.

My fiance has no family in the states.

Like I said, no respect.

Edited by msbau764

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

MacUK, I am with you in all accounts.

there should be no path to adjust status from a tourist visa.
If you marry on the spur of the moment, off you go home to apply for a spousal visa.

And I have no chip on my shoulder regarding any of the comments made before. I simply think this would really help us all. For a country that is so into following the rules, having all these avenues for people to adjust when they clearly should follow the procedures is frustrating.

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.