Jump to content

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

I brought my now wife to the US a year ago using a K-1 Visa.

We are wanting to adopt her niece in her home country of the Philippines.

While reading the instructions for an I-130 form it appears that I wouldn't have to file that form because I am a US citizen and the child is young and therefore not married.

Given that we adopt the child in the Philippines, how can we obtain a Visa for the child?

Thank you in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

Adopting a child under the Immediate Relative Process, one parent must adopt the child prior to their 16th birthday (18th in certain circumstances) AND maintain legal and physical custody of the child for at least two years while the child is a minor. This second requirement seems to be the conundrum for most as it necessitates that you, or your wife, reside with the child, presumably in PI, for at least two years prior to being eligible for an immigration benefit.

Edited by novedsac

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales

The child has been raised by the grandparents for four years and by us for eight months.

The birth mother will sign any paperwork.

What forms would be required?

No idea what paperwork you need to move to PI, this forum is. Moving to the US.

Then you would need to adopt, a local issue.

Then you can file after a couple of years for all to move to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...