loba2000

Simple Questions Regarding Citizenship

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have done a lot of reading but I still end up confused.People here are really helpful and I hope you all will help me :)

I want to ask some simple questions.

Q1. Our case is F1 (Unmarried/Widow Daughter with 2 children) which is My Mother , Me (son) , My brother (son) . So how many years do we have to wait to apply for citizenship (we all are above 18)? I am asking this because of i am confused with the term "three to five years".

Q2. For how many years the Green Card will be? I've heard it for 10 years is it true?

Q3. What is meant by Adjustment Of Status?

The definition here says "Adjustment of Status (AOS) is the process by which a non US Citizen petitions the USCIS to become a Permanent Resident of the United States" but isn't getting Green Card a determination of being an LPR, do we still need to go for AOS?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You can apply for citizenship 5 years from the day you got your GC. Three year rule applies to marriage-based application which is not yours.

Your GC is good permanently but it will expire every 10 years and you will have to renew it unless you are approved citizenship and no longer need GC.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) is the process which allows people to peitition for GC through marriages. Again, this does not apply to your case.

I have done a lot of reading but I still end up confused.People here are really helpful and I hope you all will help me :)

Q1. Our case is F1 (Unmarried/Widow Daughter with 2 children) which is My Mother , Me (son) , My brother (son) . So how many years do we have to wait to apply for citizenship (we all are above 18)? I am asking this because of i am confused with the term "three to five years".

Q2. For how many years the Green Card will be? I've heard it for 10 years is it true?

The definition here says "Adjustment of Status (AOS) is the process by which a non US Citizen petitions the USCIS to become a Permanent Resident of the United States" but isn't getting Green Card a determination of being an LPR, do we still need to go for AOS?

Edited by huy_le

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The definition here says "Adjustment of Status (AOS) is the process by which a non US Citizen petitions the [/size]USCIS to become a [/size]Permanent Resident of the United States"[/size] but isn't getting Green Card a determination of being an LPR, do we still need to go for AOS?[/size]

You can apply for citizenship 5 years from the day you got your GC. Three year rule applies to marriage-based application which is not yours.

Your GC is good permanently but it will expire every 10 years and you will have to renew it unless you are approved citizenship and no longer need GC.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) is the process which allows people to peitition for GC through marriages. Again, this does not apply to your case.

The two previous posters provided helpful information, but I'm not sure why they said adjustment of status does not apply to you. Adjustment of status is the process by which someone who is already in the US on a valid visa becomes a permanent resident. It is not only for those applying through marriage. For example, if you are on a H1b work visa and your employer sponsors you for a green card, you go through adjustment of status to get your green card. This allows you to "adjust" your status from that of a noninmigrant to an immigrant without leaving the country and applying for an immigrant visa. Similarly, if you are sponsoring a relative who is already in the US on some form of visa, they can adjust their status in most cases to become green card holders (permanent residents). If the applicants are already outside the coubtry, then AOS does not apply. Maybe the previous posters realized that this is the case and I'm just not reading your post right.

If I've moaunderst your situation or if I've got something wrong, maybe you or the others an correct me.

So maybe I just don't understand who is sponsoring whom in your case. Who is the U.S. citizen, who is applying for a green card and on what basis, and where do the people involved currently live (US or abroad)?

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Sounded like he was F1 derivative beneficiary in Pakistan, therefore assumed he will get immigrant visa at the consulate.

Ah ok. That would make sense.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The two previous posters provided helpful information, but I'm not sure why they said adjustment of status does not apply to you. Adjustment of status is the process by which someone who is already in the US on a valid visa becomes a permanent resident. It is not only for those applying through marriage. For example, if you are on a H1b work visa and your employer sponsors you for a green card, you go through adjustment of status to get your green card. This allows you to "adjust" your status from that of a noninmigrant to an immigrant without leaving the country and applying for an immigrant visa. Similarly, if you are sponsoring a relative who is already in the US on some form of visa, they can adjust their status in most cases to become green card holders (permanent residents). If the applicants are already outside the coubtry, then AOS does not apply. Maybe the previous posters realized that this is the case and I'm just not reading your post right.

If I've moaunderst your situation or if I've got something wrong, maybe you or the others an correct me.

So maybe I just don't understand who is sponsoring whom in your case. Who is the U.S. citizen, who is applying for a green card and on what basis, and where do the people involved currently live (US or abroad)?

But we are in Pakistan my mother (principle beneficiary) , me and my brother (derivative beneficiary).

So after going to USA we don't have to go for AOS?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

But we are in Pakistan my mother (principle beneficiary) , me and my brother (derivative beneficiary).

No. If you're going to get immigrant visa, no need for AoS. Just pay ELIS and await your green card once in US.

No, because you are already coming with immigrant visa, you will be admitted as a permenant resident at the port of entry.

AOS: for the people who adjust stauts from non immigrant to immigrant status.[in the USA]

Consular processing : is for the people who has an immigrant visa number and they want to immigrate to USA[ outside the usa ] and this what applies to u.

Edited by DC85

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

Thanks for explaining... I misunderstood... you're right, no need for AOS since you are coming on an immigrant visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.