We Keep Receipts

Van Jones: Charles Barkley’s Comments Were ‘Inflammatory,’ ‘Irresponsible’ and ‘Dangerous’

236 posts in this topic

It's one thing to mistrust. It's something entirely different to outright lie and make up your own facts. It's what I've been harping on since the TM/GZ business. There's gonna be a real case of racism where somebody is killed. I don't doubt that at all. People are idiots. When that happens, you and I will be on the same side. In the mean time, keep it up with your phony racism claims. You lose more credibility with every post.

You really think if Eric Garner was white or even Asian, this event would have unfolded in the same way?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

You really think if Eric Garner was white or even Asian, this event would have unfolded in the same way?

i think it could have very well gone down the exact same way if the only difference in the situation was eric garner was white.

i think it could have very well gone down the exact same way if the only difference in the situation was eric garner was white.

It would also depend on his reaction.

Cops tend to approach people differently. I know it made my skin boil when I used to get pulled over and I was asked repeatedly if I sold drugs or was in a gang based on nothing but my skin color. I drove a Pontiac Le mans and worked for my uncle in construction. Because I made a paycheck I bought a pager so he could let me know what sites I needed to meet him at in the morning, worst mistake ever. The only thing that kept me from being hauled down the station multiple times was keeping my cool. I had to endure being asked weekly what I did for a living, how could I afford a nice car and why I had a pager.

The frustration and anger black people show is because there is a constant idea that we are up to no good. I'm lumping us in together because I've been there, and every single person I know of color can relate, some stories worse than mine.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It would also depend on his reaction.

Cops tend to approach people differently. I know it made my skin boil when I used to get pulled over and I was asked repeatedly if I sold drugs or was in a gang based on nothing but my skin color. I drove a Pontiac Le mans and worked for my uncle in construction. Because I made a paycheck I bought a pager so he could let me know what sites I needed to meet him at in the morning, worst mistake ever. The only thing that kept me from being hauled down the station multiple times was keeping my cool. I had to endure being asked weekly what I did for a living, how could I afford a nice car and why I had a pager.

The frustration and anger black people show is because there is a constant idea that we are up to no good. I'm lumping us in together because I've been there, and every single person I know of color can relate, some stories worse than mine.

i get it. i know why eric had the reaction he did when the cop wasn't satisfied with his 'no'.

but it isn't exclusive to black people, the constant tag of 'no good'. i know you know that, but i'm starting to think that in order for anything to change with police, this can't be about race. at all. the majority just aren't willing to listen to that angle. they don't live it and they can't relate. also it tends to exclude experiences that could actually be beneficial to the cause.

in areas like where i live, there just aren't that many black people. plenty of poor and plenty of homeless and plenty of heroin addicts but they're mostly white. most of the similar stories of police harassment and brutality/corruption coming from my neck of the woods are going to be from mostly white people. not entirely, because i can think of two cases right off the bat but those were years ago, but for the most part.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You do realize the police supervisor on the scene was a black woman, don't you?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

i get it. i know why eric had the reaction he did when the cop wasn't satisfied with his 'no'.

but it isn't exclusive to black people, the constant tag of 'no good'. i know you know that, but i'm starting to think that in order for anything to change with police, this can't be about race. at all. the majority just aren't willing to listen to that angle. they don't live it and they can't relate. also it tends to exclude experiences that could actually be beneficial to the cause.

in areas like where i live, there just aren't that many black people. plenty of poor and plenty of homeless and plenty of heroin addicts but they're mostly white. most of the similar stories of police harassment and brutality/corruption coming from my neck of the woods are going to be from mostly white people. not entirely, because i can think of two cases right off the bat but those were years ago, but for the most part.

I would like for this to be a people problem. The issue is these things only happen to the poor and disenfranchised in large numbers. If cops started shooting regular white people for getting their wallets or for having a toy gun, folks would listen. But since these situations mostly happen to those who aren't rich or have had run ins with the law, there's no real cry for justice. Just like folks in here saying he had it coming.

You do realize the police supervisor on the scene was a black woman, don't you?

Doesn't matter, she didn't handle the scene properly. She should be held accountable. My run in with the cops that almost got me killed? Guess what color he was? Sgt Mooney, never will forget him. Most time black people in authority are harder on their own people for one of two reasons. Self loathing or because they know the score and want them to be better than the rest. You should come to my house. My mother and her sister are a classic example of the latter. I got nephews and cousins reading at 8th grade level when they're 6 years old. My youngest cousin, who I met for the first time on Monday speaks in full complete sentences, almost like an adult. He's 4.

You really don't get it do you? And I'm not trying to be funny, because I know you're not a racist. Same as Teddy, I know he isn't a racist either. But when black people are involved, there's a different dynamic at play. Folks here love to say it's the victim play, but it's a simple fact of life. No race of people on this earth is more looked down upon than black people. This is why we get upset when we're questioned and we're not at fault. Eric had made it clear he wasn't selling anything. A simple move it along because the store owner wanted him gone probably would have avoided this mess. It's like I have always said, the difference between you and me is this: You get the benefit of the doubt, I start in the negative so I have to earn it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I would like for this to be a people problem. The issue is these things only happen to the poor and disenfranchised in large numbers. If cops started shooting regular white people for getting their wallets or for having a toy gun, folks would listen. But since these situations mostly happen to those who aren't rich or have had run ins with the law, there's no real cry for justice. Just like folks in here saying he had it coming.

Doesn't matter, she didn't handle the scene properly. She should be held accountable. My run in with the cops that almost got me killed? Guess what color he was? Sgt Mooney, never will forget him. Most time black people in authority are harder on their own people for one of two reasons. Self loathing or because they know the score and want them to be better than the rest. You should come to my house. My mother and her sister are a classic example of the latter. I got nephews and cousins reading at 8th grade level when they're 6 years old. My youngest cousin, who I met for the first time on Monday speaks in full complete sentences, almost like an adult. He's 4.

You really don't get it do you? And I'm not trying to be funny, because I know you're not a racist. Same as Teddy, I know he isn't a racist either. But when black people are involved, there's a different dynamic at play. Folks here love to say it's the victim play, but it's a simple fact of life. No race of people on this earth is more looked down upon than black people. This is why we get upset when we're questioned and we're not at fault. Eric had made it clear he wasn't selling anything. A simple move it along because the store owner wanted him gone probably would have avoided this mess. It's like I have always said, the difference between you and me is this: You get the benefit of the doubt, I start in the negative so I have to earn it.

Serious question. Do you think the black woman supervisor should be brought up on civil rights charges? According to you, some of the worst racists are blacks themselves. That would indicate to me that they should be subject to the same laws as other racists.

completely agree. i'm always talking about how many kids have parents in jail in this country. since the reality is that the police need the public's trust, i wonder what condition that trust is going to be in 15 years. there's a looot of poor and disenfranchised people in the us. and the cops already look and act just like military. so yeah i think in time white people will get it.

Serious question. Do you think the black woman supervisor should be brought up on civil rights charges? According to you, some of the worst racists are blacks themselves. That would indicate to me that they should be subject to the same laws as other racists.

Yep. Does that change anything?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Yep. Does that change anything?

Change anything? Not sure what you mean. I'll be real curious to see how civil rights charges will be brought against a black American. If they do that, then that would be impressive. I personally don't see it happening. Not with this administration anyway.

completely agree. i'm always talking about how many kids have parents in jail in this country. since the reality is that the police need the public's trust, i wonder what condition that trust is going to be in 15 years. there's a looot of poor and disenfranchised people in the us. and the cops already look and act just like military. so yeah i think in time white people will get it.

If it bleeds over and regular white folks start feeling it, then you're right. But that's the only way. Because as long as they target folks like Garner, the majority will not care.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Change anything? Not sure what you mean. I'll be real curious to see how civil rights charges will be brought against a black American. If they do that, then that would be impressive. I personally don't see it happening. Not with this administration anyway.

It wouldn't be civil right charges. Regular charges will work just fine.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

It wouldn't be civil right charges. Regular charges will work just fine.

Why not civil rights charges? That's what the federal govt. is all about. The feds aren't gonna bring manslaughter charges.

If it bleeds over and regular white folks start feeling it, then you're right. But that's the only way. Because as long as they target folks like Garner, the majority will not care.

exactly.