maluk

Is it allowed to take job interviews as preparation while waiting for AOS?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

I am waiting for my I-485 interview. My biometrics has been taken.

I wanted to know if it was allowed to look for a job but not accept employment before having all my papers in order.

Thanks

You can look for a job, but you cannot work until you have at least your EAD and SS number. I hope you included the application for the AED and AP with your I-485, as the green card can take quite a while to get processed.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I applied for the I-131 and I-765 at the same time as I-485.

I was just wondering if it could be brought at the interview and if 'I am taking some interviews, but not accepting any offer until I am legally allowed to do so'

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~duplicate thread removed~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the answer.

I was just wondering if it could be brought at the interview and if 'I am taking some interviews, but not accepting any offer until I am legally allowed to do so'

Get an interview because some of the hiring agencies will keep you and wait until you are ready for work.

Thanks for the answer.

My wife started looking without EAD in hand. She got a lot of "call us back when you get your green card" responses. She even got that at times when she had her EAD, as many employers don't understand it. Not much you can do about people's ignorance. Where she did get hired at least knew about the EAD and it makes you legal to work. Actually she had two different jobs before her green card came. Oh she also had someone contact her who thought she was illegal and was literally trying to force her to take a job at below legal wages. Strangest thing I ever saw, they were sending her all these threatening texts when she said no. When I got home from work and found this happening I shut the woman down pretty good though. Said one more text and I was sending this entire history of text messages to the authorities and nothing more came :lol:

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

Maluk i am from France too, i did AOS since august and still waiting my EAD (c'est la galère) because RFE so it is not easy waiting without work, now it is soon 4 month since i send AOS.

Did you have your Ead, because if you have, just take ssn and start to find a job, the interview it is after.

Me i am bloked without EAD, just waiting and waiting....

i hope it is will be fine soon.

Timeline

I don't have my EAD yet. It has been only a month since we mailed my application.

Do you get notified of an RFE before seeing that you are going to receive a notice for the i 485 interview?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

yes, you can received RFE anytime. i think when you finish the step of interview, you will have your green card soon...

i have received 1 rfe before my biometric and 1 rfe after my biometric, the problem was the i-864. So like i said, know i have answer for RFE and wait answer from uscis, my status didn't change it is still response review RFE;

for me we have do the maximum know for the i-864, so i consider they will accept or denied. I don't know what else put inside.

ok you application it is recent so don't worry, it is will be fine for you if you have send all correctly.

Edited by sogreeny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from main AOS/Family-Based forum to the Working & Traveling forum -- topic is about job-hunting. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.