Tony Antony

Green card expiring in 3 weeks

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

My wife's 2 year green card with the extension letter for 1 year is going to expire in about 3 weeks. I've contacted the local USCIS office to check the status, and they send us a letter stating that they need more time. I'm starting to get worried since there's only 3 more weeks left for the greencard to expire, and they have not send us a new greencard or an extension letter.

The've already sent us an exension letter before, but nothing new yet. Our local USCIS is Baltimore

Thanks,

Tony \

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello,

My wife's 2 year green card with the extension letter for 1 year is going to expire in about 3 weeks. I've contacted the local USCIS office to check the status, and they send us a letter stating that they need more time. I'm starting to get worried since there's only 3 more weeks left for the greencard to expire, and they have not send us a new greencard or an extension letter.

The've already sent us an exension letter before, but nothing new yet. Our local USCIS is Baltimore

Thanks,

Tony \

Go to your local USCIS office with the green card and the extension and ask for another extension. You should get it easy.

So your extension letter is gonna expired or your conditional GC is gonna expired? Please clarify.

If your 2-year GC is gonna expire, it is absolutely normal. The extension letter will do its job. And you have to wait until your I-751 decision is made.

If your 1-year extension letter is gonna expire, schedule an InfoPass to get another I-551 extension stamp. And contact USCIS about your I-751 because it has reached time frame for a long time. It is very likely you will have an interview, and your local USCIS office is waiting for an available interview slot for you.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

@Nancy Nguyen: I was going to post exactly what you just did. OP: listen to Nancy! She is right! If your GC expires but your extension letter is still valid, then there's nothing for you to worry about. My green card will expire next week, but I don't give much worry on it since I have the extension letter...now, if your extension letter is expiring follow Nancy's suggestion and you'll be fine. Hasta la vista!

So your extension letter is gonna expired or your conditional GC is gonna expired? Please clarify.

If your 2-year GC is gonna expire, it is absolutely normal. The extension letter will do its job. And you have to wait until your I-751 decision is made.

If your 1-year extension letter is gonna expire, schedule an InfoPass to get another I-551 extension stamp. And contact USCIS about your I-751 because it has reached time frame for a long time. It is very likely you will have an interview, and your local USCIS office is waiting for an available interview slot for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The 1 year extension letter is going to expire in about 10 days. I'm signed up for the mobile alerts, and e-mail for changes, but nothing so far. I looked the case number online, it's saying everything is normal so far. I'm going to call them tomorrow! What about when she travels outside of US? The next GC is the 10 year right?

Thanks

Edited by Tony Antony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The 1 year extension letter is going to expire in about 10 days. I'm signed up for the mobile alerts, and e-mail for changes, but nothing so far. I looked the case number online, it's saying everything is normal so far. I'm going to call them tomorrow! What about when she travels outside of US? See below. The next GC is the 10 year right? Should be, that is the general procedure.

Thanks

Refer to response #5 from last week...make the InfoPass appointment.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You need to schedule an InfoPass ASAP to get another I-551 extension stamp. And contact USCIS about your I-751 because it has reached time frame for a long time. It is very likely you will have an interview, and your local USCIS office is waiting for an available interview slot for you.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.