Kharkov_Natalie

I-130 Filing from Ukraine

11 posts in this topic

I have been trying to find the answer to my question without much success... maybe someone here knows...

I have read that if you live abroad, you may file the I-130 with the USCIS office that has jurisdication over your place of residence. Does anyone know which office has jurisdiction over Ukraine (Kharkov)? Is it Moscow?

Just trying to figure it all out...

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have been trying to find the answer to my question without much success... maybe someone here knows...

I have read that if you live abroad, you may file the I-130 with the USCIS office that has jurisdication over your place of residence. Does anyone know which office has jurisdiction over Ukraine (Kharkov)? Is it Moscow?

Just trying to figure it all out...

The latest information is that it will be filed at one of the USCIS service centers here in the states. Someone has posted a link to the new criteria here on VJ. I can't find it at the moment.

YMMV

I found the answer. If you live in Ukraine as a resident, then you may file in Moscow as that office has jurisdiction. The only problem is that you have to file in person which means I woudl have to get a Russian visa, so I may just try filing it from the States.

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I found the answer. If you live in Ukraine as a resident, then you may file in Moscow as that office has jurisdiction. The only problem is that you have to file in person which means I woudl have to get a Russian visa, so I may just try filing it from the States.

Please note that ALL overseas filings are suspended now: there is no filing in Moscow or elsewhere.

Please read this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=52046&hl=

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Send it to the appropriate Service Center using your home of record (whether that's your previous address in the States, your mom and dad's house, sister/brother's house, whatever. Wherever you plan on living when you come back to the States, or wherever you left from, that's your home of record.) as your address. They'll never know the difference, and if you're "technically" still living there, you're going to have to use that address anyway for where your fiance will reside after arrival in the States.

Edited: Just noticed you're doing the I-130, so substitute husband for fiance. Also, what about a DCF? Is that possible?

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Okay, this is confusing... because i went to the "Special Instructions" on the USCIS website and there are no Special Instructions written.. it is blank... but when you open the new I-130 Form it says that if you live abroad you should file with the overseas office that has jurisdiction....

I am copying from the I-130...

Petitioners residing abroad: If you live in Canada, file your petition at the Vermont Service Center. Exception: If youare a U.S. citizen residing in Canada, and you are petitioningfor your spouse, child, or parent, you may file the petition atthe nearest American Embassy or Consulate, except for thosein Quebec City. If you reside elsewhere outside the UnitedStates. file your relative petition at the USCIS office overseas or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. For further information, contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Are the rules changing or am I reading this wrong????

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

Timeline
Okay, this is confusing... because i went to the "Special Instructions" on the USCIS website and there are no Special Instructions written.. it is blank... but when you open the new I-130 Form it says that if you live abroad you should file with the overseas office that has jurisdiction....

I am copying from the I-130...

Petitioners residing abroad: If you live in Canada, file your petition at the Vermont Service Center. Exception: If youare a U.S. citizen residing in Canada, and you are petitioningfor your spouse, child, or parent, you may file the petition atthe nearest American Embassy or Consulate, except for thosein Quebec City. If you reside elsewhere outside the UnitedStates. file your relative petition at the USCIS office overseas or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. For further information, contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

This is a very fluid situation and to answer your question, YES it appears the rules/processes are changing each day particularly now since they effectively "pulled the plug" on DCF. It will take a week or weeks for them to decide on final procedures.

YMMV

Rules regarding Direct Consular Filing changed very abruptly and very recently. I imagine there are several websites that have yet to catch up to the recent changes.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The rules are changing. Please see this thread, particularly the post I added today: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52046

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I just looked up the new I-130 dated 01/05/07 and the instructions say to file the application at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate where you live. To me that says prepare everything and send it to Kiev (Kyiv). But, it does say to contact the embassy too. Try using their email system. It works pretty good but takes about a week for them to respond back. The response can be even longer if Ukrainian or American holidays are occurring at the same time.

Timeline
I just looked up the new I-130 dated 01/05/07 and the instructions say to file the application at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate where you live. To me that says prepare everything and send it to Kiev (Kyiv). But, it does say to contact the embassy too. Try using their email system. It works pretty good but takes about a week for them to respond back. The response can be even longer if Ukrainian or American holidays are occurring at the same time.

For today however that is wrong advice. The rules changed on 1/23/07 so the 01/05/07 form now includes old information.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.