Cool_Immigrant

Enough bona fide evidence?

13 posts in this topic

Hi, do you guys think the following documents are enough bona fide evidence?

- Join Bank Account

- Rent Agreement for current house

- Life Insurance

- 4 notarized letters (from my wife's mother, her step-dad who is our joint sponsor, landlord living in the same household, one from a friend)

- A short summary of our story

- Pay stubs sent to our past address (we didn't have a rent agreement for the apartment we used to live)

What else would you suggest to include? (We can't afford a health insurance for now)

P.S : These are the documents that we are going to include in our I-130 & I-485 application not for the interview, we didn't file joint tax returns etc. yet since we got married in June.

We both reside in the states, I have been here for almost 4 years with F-1.

Edited by Cool_Immigrant

As a general suggestion to anyone going for an AoS interview, I would recommend having evidence throughout the entire time between the marriage, the initial AoS application / priority date, and the present day / interview.

During our interview, the IO wasn't too interested in documents older than a year since we already submitted ample evidence in our initial application. Rather than show her a bunch of totally recent documents, we opted to show her a combination of very new documents (I included a letter from the bank dated less than a week before the interview that just gave an overview of when we opened our joint account and confirmed that it has been actively used, as well as listing my wife's maiden name when we initially opened the account before being married) as well as certain documents over a wide range of time. For example, I bunched monthly utility bills, cell phone bills, bank statements, et cetera all together chronologically to show that we didn't just throw our names on the same account immediately before the interview but rather have shared finances and a life together before our marriage, throughout it, and up to the present day.

Our IO was satisfied with a binder I put together and stopped me halfway through, asking just to photocopy a copy of state driver licenses, health insurance cards, one monthly bank statement, the letter from the bank, and our current lease. We had plenty more but that seemed to be enough.

Edited by jxn

As a general suggestion to anyone going for an AoS interview, I would recommend having evidence throughout the entire time between the marriage, the initial AoS application / priority date, and the present day / interview.

During our interview, the IO wasn't too interested in documents older than a year since we already submitted ample evidence in our initial application. Rather than show her a bunch of totally recent documents, we opted to show her a combination of very new documents (I included a letter from the bank dated less than a week before the interview that just gave an overview of when we opened our joint account and confirmed that it has been actively used, as well as listing my wife's maiden name when we initially opened the account before being married) as well as certain documents over a wide range of time. For example, I bunched monthly utility bills, cell phone bills, bank statements, et cetera all together chronologically to show that we didn't just throw our names on the same account immediately before the interview but rather have shared finances and a life together before our marriage, throughout it, and up to the present day.

Our IO was satisfied with a binder I put together and stopped me halfway through, asking just to photocopy a copy of state driver licenses, health insurance cards, one monthly bank statement, the letter from the bank, and our current lease. We had plenty more but that seemed to be enough.

Jxn, thanks for your response. That is what I am concerned about, we opened the bank account on October 20 ish, before that we were using my personal bank account together, and the rental agreement we have now is pretty recent as well (September 17), we only have pay stubs posted to our old address in NY (we currently live in NC) and the landlord in NY is in Bulgaria now so we can't contact him. Apart from that we have photos taken since we met and a brief letter of our story. We never thought that these sort of evidence would be needed so didn't try to collect anything. For bills, our rentals included all utilities. Do you think waiting a little bit longer would be wiser?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Jxn, thanks for your response. That is what I am concerned about, we opened the bank account on October 20 ish, before that we were using my personal bank account together, and the rental agreement we have now is pretty recent as well (September 17), we only have pay stubs posted to our old address in NY (we currently live in NC) and the landlord in NY is in Bulgaria now so we can't contact him. Apart from that we have photos taken since we met and a brief letter of our story. We never thought that these sort of evidence would be needed so didn't try to collect anything. For bills, our rentals included all utilities. Do you think waiting a little bit longer would be wiser?

How did you pay your rent? Use the cancelled checks as proof of payment since you cannot contact the landlord. Take old and new rental agreements to show timeline of living together. Do you have cable bills, phone bills, insurances - health, car, life? If you do, use those as evidence as well. What about letters to the old address - even if it is a subscription? That helps to establish the pattern of co-habitation over a period.

Remember that not every interview is similar so be prepared in order to prevent a RFE. Better to have more evidences that are not asked for than less and being asked to submit more.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

How did you pay your rent? Use the cancelled checks as proof of payment since you cannot contact the landlord. Take old and new rental agreements to show timeline of living together. Do you have cable bills, phone bills, insurances - health, car, life? If you do, use those as evidence as well. What about letters to the old address - even if it is a subscription? That helps to establish the pattern of co-habitation over a period.

Remember that not every interview is similar so be prepared in order to prevent a RFE. Better to have more evidences that are not asked for than less and being asked to submit more.

Hi kcoyclay1, when we were in NY- Uniondale we used to pay rent with cash it was more like an oral rent agreement, but I found two Amazon orders sent to that address one for my wife, one for me, also my wife's and my paychecks were under that address so I have some documents but nothing as strong as a rent agreement. All of our utilities were included in rent, we like everything included deals :) I recently bought a life insurance for us, but in a VJ post I saw a story where the officer got suspicious because they didn't have health insurance but life insurance. Our car insurance is under my wife's mother's name, do you think we should change it to our names before submitting the application? Although we are in a real marriage, we want the process to go easy and pleasant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Rather than straining for whatever evidence you can scrape up, how about producing wills, medical powers of attorney, HIPAA releases, and similar documents? These are excellent evidence for AOS (if required) and certainly for ROC. Even more important is how crucial these documents are for "life."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Rather than straining for whatever evidence you can scrape up, how about producing wills, medical powers of attorney, HIPAA releases, and similar documents? These are excellent evidence for AOS (if required) and certainly for ROC. Even more important is how crucial these documents are for "life."

Awesome ideas! I really appreciate it, thanks :) If anyone can think of any similar documents that we could easily procure now that would work we'd definitely appreciate it! We're also working with a pretty limited budget so any suggestions that would require minimal fees would be especially great.

Edited by Cool_Immigrant

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If you can't find a cheap lawyer, you might do a web search for "North Carolina will templates" or similar, to find a template into which you can plug your specific information. There are also sites like legalzoom.com and nolo.com to look at.

Not a lawyer here, but be sure that the template contains the proper language for your state of residence. (I was told that Texas and Louisiana wills are not compatible, as one example.) You might have to have the wills and supporting documents witnessed and notarized, so leave time and make arrangements for that.

Let us know which method yields what you're looking for.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

If you can't find a cheap lawyer, you might do a web search for "North Carolina will templates" or similar, to find a template into which you can plug your specific information. There are also sites like legalzoom.com and nolo.com to look at.

Not a lawyer here, but be sure that the template contains the proper language for your state of residence. (I was told that Texas and Louisiana wills are not compatible, as one example.) You might have to have the wills and supporting documents witnessed and notarized, so leave time and make arrangements for that.

Let us know which method yields what you're looking for.

We have found an awesome software called "Quicken Willmaker" which is very helpful. You put your state and personal info into it and it creates a will.

We were really frustrated because we couldn't reach our old landlord. We even tried Facebook but I believe he is afraid of sending any letter/proof since there was no written rent agreement and my wife and me had to live in a very small room together (which is probably not even legal to lease-NYC can be very expensive :) )

Do you think we should still put a note on our application about that and just include all paychecks, mail, etc. we received at that address? (Oh, and we received our marriage certificate at that address and got married in that city). Can we also send my wife's bank statement which shows a lot of transactions from the groceries around the neighborhood?

Thank you very much, we are really happy to find people who help us.

Edited by Cool_Immigrant

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Don't loose sleep over evidence,...I have gone through past post on VJ and I have seen posts of people who literally had nothing to show other than a marriage license. It looks like you have been married for less than 2 years so the first interview might not be so bad. I have seen people who get married the same month and send their AOS package right away with no evidence...so just be familiar with your spouse and things around you and be honest with the answers. They will approve you and expect you to send them more evidence during ROC..so you better prepare well. You can get membership at samsclub or a fitness center where you pay like 10 dollars a month..Just pray and be confident. That is all I am going to do. Wish you well comrade.

09/02/14 sent AOS

09/05/14 AOS received

09/21/14 NOA received

11/16/14 Biometrics done

10/07/14 RFE for Birth Certificate

11/03/14 RFE received by MSC

11/05/14 RFE in reviewing process

11/12/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/26/14- EAD Mailed

12/3/14 EAD received.

02/14/15 AOS interview scheduled for 3/19/15

03/19/15 Interview...

03/19/15 Approved. Thank you God!

Don't loose sleep over evidence,...I have gone through past post on VJ and I have seen posts of people who literally had nothing to show other than a marriage license. It looks like you have been married for less than 2 years so the first interview might not be so bad. I have seen people who get married the same month and send their AOS package right away with no evidence...so just be familiar with your spouse and things around you and be honest with the answers. They will approve you and expect you to send them more evidence during ROC..so you better prepare well. You can get membership at samsclub or a fitness center where you pay like 10 dollars a month..Just pray and be confident. That is all I am going to do. Wish you well comrade.

Reading this makes me feel good, thanks moraaj. I have been together with my wife for a year and we have been living together since then. I hope they don't deny applications based on initial evidence because I can answer almost any question about her and our marriage :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.