charissevd

Filing for K2 AOS minus I-765 & I-131

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I may have not fully researched it here and on the uscis website but I cant seem to find an answer to my question. Please share your inputs and enlighten me on this:

I am about to send in my daughter's (K2) AOS but I would like to put on hold her I-765 and I-131, is that possible? If so, how much would be the filing fee?

Thank you for the help.

Filed: Timeline

No fees for EAD and AP when filing together with AOS.

So you should file all the 3 forms together

I wanted to put the EAD and the AP on hold or wait for the AOS approval instead of filing the other two. Do you know if that is possible and how much is the filing fee?

I wanted to put the EAD and the AP on hold or wait for the AOS approval instead of filing the other two. Do you know if that is possible and how much is the filing fee?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/500361-can-k1-file-aos-and-k2-file-after/

From the above thread, assuming you are not filing K2 with your K1 together,

the filing fee:

$985 for K2

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why would you want to 'put those on hold'? The fee for the I-485 will be the same with or without them. There is no fee to file them, so why not? A K-2 can get an SSN using the EAD, and having the AP just in case as well would be a good thing.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Why would you want to 'put those on hold'? The fee for the I-485 will be the same with or without them. There is no fee to file them, so why not? A K-2 can get an SSN using the EAD, and having the AP just in case as well would be a good thing.

I agree with this completely. There is only benefit to also applying for EAD and AP. What if you need to go back to your home country in an emergency? Also, K2 can get a SSN with the EAD card. Sure, they won't be working, but with an SSN, it's easier to claim them as dependents on your taxes too. :)

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I agree with this completely. There is only benefit to also applying for EAD and AP. What if you need to go back to your home country in an emergency? Also, K2 can get a SSN with the EAD card. Sure, they won't be working, but with an SSN, it's easier to claim them as dependents on your taxes too. :)

Both folks are spot-on. :thumbs:

There are some differences in the K2 AOS fees depending on the age of the K2. There are NO additional fees for EAD/AP (I-765/I-131) concurrent filing with AOS (I-485). They are easy-peesy forms to complete, follow the VJ Example Forms (located at the top of the forum page). You just can't predict if they will be needed, and AOS processing times can be quite protracted. That is what I did with my K2 stepson. Review this USCIS link for specific costs and information: http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.