goodpoint

Wife and I had GC Interview this morning - just sharing our experience

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

**I do not have any questions -- just sharing my experience in the hope that someone will find it useful.**

I (USC) and my wife (Romanian) met about 2 years ago, married in Romania about 1.5 years ago, traveled to the USA and decided to stay permanently about 7 months ago.

We filed for AOS based on marriage in April 2014; forms 130 and 485.

We received our interview appointment in mid October (for today -- mid November).

We arrived in the San Bernardino USCIS office 1 hour early. I wore a suit and my wife wore a nice dress. We were called into an office together after about an hour and a half (30min after apt time).

We were asked to raise our right hand and were sworn to tell the truth.

The officer asked my wife to verify all of her contact information and checked her original birth certificate and marriage certificate. Then she asked my wife all of the Yes/No questions on the I-485 like "have you ever been a gang member" and so forth (all "no" answers) even though she already had those answers in writing.

I was asked my name and DOB.

Then the officer said "tell me how you two came to be together" which wasn't directed toward a particular one of us. I jumped in to answer because I knew my wife was so stressed she was about to have a heart attack. I made an effort to speak confidently and in a concise manner. I stated the following: The date and cicumstances of how we met, the date we had our first date, date of our engagement, date of our wedding, date we last entered the USA.

I had prepared a detailed file showing how I was earning money and supporting my wife (I was her sponsor) but I was never asked to prove anything like that. The officer simply asked "so, you have been the one supporting your wife this whole time, right?" I answered "yes" and that was all that was discussed about finances.

The officer then asked me to provide her with any documentation I had showing we had a "real" marriage. I had originals and copies but she just wanted the copies and didn't much look at the originals. I spoke somewhat quickly in an effort to explain each item before being cut off (I wasn't). I provided her with all of the following items:

- Joint tax return

- joint credit card

- joint bank account

- tags from flowers I had sent to her when we first started courting.

- B-day and anniversary cards to us from family (2)

- joint lease

- jointly owned car registration

- joint car insurance

- disneyland annual passes

- cell phone bill with both names on it

- reservations for birthday activity (email)

- Used concert tickets with names on them

- Pictures: I cherry-picked about 30 of our best pictures that showed us doing various things over a long time (family dinners, birthdays, disneyland, etc.); I had nice color sheets made at WalMart with 8 pictures printed per 8x10" page and provided those instead of black and white copies. The officer asked me to explain what was going on in some of the pictures (I had written captions in magic marker).

Having reviewed everything above, the officer said she would be right back and walked out of the room. She returned with a "Congratulations you are a permanent resident" letter and told us we were approved and to expect the card in the mail within 90 days. We couldn't have been happier and were very surprised at how easy it was.

Basically, I would say that if you prepare well and arrive organized (and really are married) the interview is very low stress and very easy. We were done in about 20 minutes. We had stressed about the interview but there really was no reason for it.

Hope this helps someone -- I read a ton of descriptions like this on VisaJourney that helped me a lot. Thanks to everyone else who shared and gave me advice along the way!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from WST-based AOS to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

How did you come into the US? Did she have a tourist visa?

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

She did have a B2 tourist visa. We entered the US on what was basically a honeymoon and were convinced by my relatives to stay in the US. Relatives offered me a good interim job and the basics to re-setup my American life (furniture, pots and pans, etc.).

I was prepared to have to defend our lack of intent to stay in America but there were absolutely zero questions about it at the interview. I got the feeling that they only cared if our marriage was real or not and nothing else mattered to them.

Thanks for the review. I'll be interviewing (adjusting from a K-1 visa) at San Bernadino unless I get an interview waiver letter, so this is very useful. Very interesting that the interviewer was okay with you answering most of the questions, even though it was your wife who was adjusting her status.

I agree. I had planned to "not speak unless spoken to" based on the reviews of other people. I was surprised that the officer's questions were not directed at a specific one of us. My wife pretty much didn't say anything at all except to confirm what was written on our application.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congratulations :star:

AOS from B2 visa:

07-28-2014 (Day 00) : AOS mailed

07-31-2014 (Day 03) : AOS received

08-09-2014 (Day 12) : Received NoA

08-16-2014 (Day 19) : Received Biometrics appointment for 08/26/2014

08-18-2014 (Day 21) : Early Walk-in Biometrics

10-15-2014 (Day 79) : E-notice: I-485 updated "Testing and Interview"

10-16-2014 (Day 80) : E-notice: I-765 updated "Card/Document Production"

10-22-2014 (Day 86) : E-notice: Interview scheduled for November 25

10-22-2014 (Day 86) : E-notice: I-765 Card/document mailed

10-23-2014 (Day 87) : EAD Card received

10-24-2014 (Day 88) : Interview letter received "Interview Date; November 25, 2014"

11-25-2014 (Day 120): The Interview

11-25-2014 (Day 120): E-notice: I-485 in production / I-130 Approved / Welcome notice was mailed

11-29-2014 (Day 124): Welcome to America / Approval notice in mail

12-03-2014 (Day 128): E-notice: GC mailed

12-05-2014 (Day 130): Green Card in hand :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.