Jump to content

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland

You can't do that either, she has to do it herself, and show ties to her home country (good job, husband who will stay behind, etc)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You personally cannot petition your mother in law or file for a tourist visa for her.

When your wife becomes a USC, then she can petition for her mother. She can apply for citizenship when she has 3 years minus 90 days as an LPR, which would be in August 2017. Once she has the certificate in her hand and has taken the oath, then she can petition for her that same day.

As for the tourist visa, your mother in law has to qualify completely by herself. She has to prove that she has sufficient ties to her home country that will compel her to return home.

Letters of support and the like have no merit in tourist visa cases so there really is nothing that you can do on your end other than helping her complete the paperwork and/or pay the visa application fee.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...