Canerican

Moving To New York, Am going for Vermont Road Test on Mon Nov 17, Is it worth it?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there All,

It's been a while since I have been on visajourney as right now I have my 2 year GC and am waiting to remove conditions. I have a few questions concerning drivers licenses in different states and please keep in mind that I understand once I move I need to do a Address Change Form by paper or online. Here is my situation:

I have had my Vermont learners permit for about a 1 year and half now. Have had no rush to get my full license as my wife and I have only had one vehicle. Now due to the line of work that I want to work in (Human Services) I am going to need a drivers license and we now have two vehicles. I am scheduled to go for a road test in Vermont on Mon Nov 17, 2014 and was just wondering if it was worth it to go for the road test or if it would be better for me to wait and start over again in New York State?

Reading on the website I notice that they say you have to have had your license for a minimum of 6 months. My question is since when I move I will only have my full license for a few weeks can I use my learner permit to say that I have had a drivers license for 6 months or more?

As well if they do not count my learners permit for the 6 months do I have to pay for the road test and written when switching my full VT license over to New York since it has not been valid for six months?

Anybody's help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As a native New Yorker (NYC specifically) I would say that passing your drivers test in NYC is one of the toughest places to pass. If you can take it in VT do so. If not I would suggest when you move to NY get in contact with a local driving school just so you know the small details that the examiners look for in order to pass. Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Get your license in VT. Move to NY. Switch to NY license after 6 months.

If you get stopped by the cops, you have not been living in NY for more than 30 days.

And you would not be lying if you still kinda reside in VT.

Your learners permit time does not count towards the time you've had a license.

Half of the population in NY drives with an out of state license.

Edited by SAT

Timeline

Get your license in VT. Move to NY. Switch to NY license after 6 months.

If you get stopped by the cops, you have not been living in NY for more than 30 days.

And you would not be lying if you still kinda reside in VT.

Your learners permit time does not count towards the time you've had a license.

Half of the population in NY drives with an out of state license.

Thank you for advice. I will be a resident of NY starting the timeframe of Nov 28-Dec1. If I switch a VT license issued under 6 months ago would I have to pay for the written and road test in NY?

Edited by CDN(ON)-USA(VT)

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline

I'm just kinda showing you what everyone else does.

I understand and thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. If I got my full VT license would I have to pay for the written and road test when switching licenses as I will not have had my license for over 6 months and the NYS DMV website says that I will have to redo my written and road test and do a 5 hour safe driving course. Thank you for your advice. As well for those looking at the post, I am going to be living in Geneva, NY, not NYC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.