lostinblue

Massachusetts town weighs nation's 1st tobacco ban

41 posts in this topic

Anyone can smoke in their own truck, smoking in a company owned vehicle is a bit different. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to get in that truck for the night shift after someone has smoked in it all day.

I don't believe that selling tobacco products should be illegal, but I also do not want smoking in public buildings.

A private establishment should be able to decide if it was to allow smoking inside it's establishment. I would probably not trade with them, in the case of a restaurant, but enough of the nanny state.

As for Govt owned buildings etc yes.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

In Ontario, Canada it is illegal to smoke almost anywhere. The Smoke-Free Ontario Act prohibits smoking in workplaces, enclosed public spaces and also in motor vehicles when children under 16 are present. It also bans the public display of tobacco products prior to purchase and prohibits youth-targeted tobacco products such as flavoured cigarillos.

Just recently a law was passed taking action January 1st that you can't smoke on restaurant/bar patios, sports fields, ice rinks, playgrounds, or even within 20 feet of them to keep the smoke away from children. Cigarettes and tobacco products will also be prohibited from being sold on college/university campuses. I'm u sure how effective this will be.

A private establishment should be able to decide if it was to allow smoking inside it's establishment. I would probably not trade with them, in the case of a restaurant, but enough of the nanny state.

I used to feel strongly that way towards private establishments, but knowing what we know about the hazzards of second hand smoke, and being an ex-smoker, I don't any longer. Even if an establishment is private, there will still be non-smokers exposed to second hand smoke.

Filed: Other Timeline

Sorry, but people who smoke need to to do so somewhere far away from me. It's your choice, but leave me out of your consequences. No second hand smoke, no contributing to your healthcare. :no:

You're not sorry for feeling the way you feel, but yet you use the word in a feigned attempt to appear that way. As for your desire force people to do the things you disapprove where you can't see them, or hear them, feel them, or touch them, or even hear about them doing it, I suggest you do like the rest of the people on earth do. They change the channel, they move, they go to another location and live and let live. The anti-smoking ideology is the tip of the iceberg to impose a behavioral standard upon everyone.

Edited by ExExpat

This is no different than when the nanny government banned us from using asbestos or lead in the gasoline.

The horror! The humanity!

This is Murika! We have the right to die a premature death costing millions to the taxpayers and to take as many people with us as we can with our second hand smoke!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Who cares as long as someone else pays? That is the quite possibly what the motley crew refers to as the conservative value of personal responsibility. It is your personal responsibility to pick up the tab for my personal irresponsibility. Murkha!

This is Murika! We have the right to die a premature death costing millions to the taxpayers and to take as many people with us as we can with our second hand smoke!

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

That's exactly what it's all about: The Nanny State!

I used to feel strongly that way towards private establishments, but knowing what we know about the hazzards of second hand smoke, and being an ex-smoker, I don't any longer. Even if an establishment is private, there will still be non-smokers exposed to second hand smoke.

That's right and in a free country, so many don't smoke now days that it probably would not make it. I would probably not eat tehre, but still should be owners choice .

That is why in "Murika" as you call it, you have the freedom to eat somewhere that does not subject you to second smoke. Not that I am bickering with you LOL

can we kill fat people for indulgence yet?

Nope. We just force them to buy two drinks instead of one big one, and close all food stores and restaurants that made the food that MADE them fat. Yeah, that's the ticket. Make new laws so every home has a nanny who will cook healthy food stop everyone from doing things the regime and the brave new world disapprove.

That's right and in a free country, so many don't smoke now days that it probably would not make it. I would probably not eat tehre, but still should be owners choice .

That is why in "Murika" as you call it, you have the freedom to eat somewhere that does not subject you to second smoke. Not that I am bickering with you LOL

Several years back when the big crackdown on smoking started here, it went from separate sections for smokers and non smokers, but no requirement for the areas to be closed in. Then restaurants and bars were allowed to have smoking-as long as the smoking section was completely closed in and had a separate HVAC system. I tended bar part time at a place where the owner spent about 20K to close in the bar area and install a separate HVAC system. Less than a year later, smoking was banned, period. Needless to say, the bar owner was more than a bit upset.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

can we kill fat people for indulgence yet?

How about people that engage in risky behaviors. Motorcycle riders, sky divers, base jumpers. How about people that don't exercise. How about people that are thin but have high cholesterol . Let's tax the stew out of them also.